Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Dec 17, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #4,681 of 8,134
Mobile

1.Narmoo S1. The only iem that I have that sounds good straight out of my Fiio X1.

2. Beyer DTX 501p. For when I don't want an iem in my ears.

3. Yamaha EPH-100. Doesn't sound as good as the S1 but it will remain on standby.

Home

1. Grado 325i

2. Grado 80i

3. Audio Technica PRO700MKII

I may go to an all Grado lineup soon so this will change.

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #4,684 of 8,134
* = current

1*. Focal Spirit Professional (studio) - the newest addition - best headphones I have ever had, brilliant for assisting mixing down.

2. Sennheiser HD25 (DJ/Studio) - classic DJ headphones loved them when I had them.

3*. Sennheiser  PMX 685i (gym/running) - pretty decent sound, splash proof and secure, serve a purpose.

4. AKG K81DJ (DJ only) - good cans but broke on the swivel mechanism after only just over a year.

5*. Pioneer SE-DJ500 (DJ only) - These are a bit meh... I was fed up of shelling out big bucks for DJ cans and them breaking so I went for the SE-DJ500 years ago.  They have lasted very well but aren't up to scratch with the other DJ cans I've used for volume and clarity.  Will be replacing at some point.

6. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm (studio/listening) - Way too bass heavy and one channel went out of warranty.  Definitely not fit for critical listening, was disappointed with them and should have done some more research before buying.

7*. iPhone 2014 earbuds.  use them occasionally.  Not too bad, useful to hear things how other people do!

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #4,686 of 8,134
whee

1: Sony MDR-605
2: Sansui SS-35
3: Audio-Technica ATH-5

everything else is either with Tyll or being sold off

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #4,687 of 8,134
Hello to everyone, my first post here 
smily_headphones1.gif

Home:

Shure SRH550DJ (balanced, natural sounding) >> AKG K77 Perception ~ Sony MDR-ZX600 (both AKG and Sony bass heavy, poor mids, fake sounding)

IEM's:

Shure SE210 (clean, natural sounding) >> Apple Dual Drivers (balanced, but very microphonic) > Shure SE215 (bass heavy, muddy sounding, big disappointment)

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #4,688 of 8,134
AT = Audio Technica. I don't plan on adding more to my collection. At this point I'll fool myself into thinking that I got the best sound I could possibly could.

• AT ATH-AD2000X
  • AT ATH-A2000X (This one is actually more neutral, has more detail, clearer vocal, has deeper bass with bass boost, and frickin orgasmic to hear despite the slightly smaller sound stage when compared to AD2000X. It's 2nd on my list because it gets hot to wear because it's a closed can. You've got to try this can with a bass boost or a bass heavy song. Holy **** does it sound good!)
  • AT ATH-AD900X
  • AT ATH-A900X (My first real headphone into the headphone world. I bought this because I need a closed can for office use)
  • Koss KSC-75 (I don't own this anymore, they're all dead. Not buying them anymore either, they all have a reliability issue)
  • IEM - Westone UM3X (Frankly, this earphone is terrible despite the hype. This one has good bass, muddy okay highs, muddy mids. Serious lack of detail, soundstage is terrible. The list could go on. It's still better than my other earphones)

Below are headphones where the sound quality are simply intolerable to use for long time. I had people compare this to the KSC-75. No way these can come ANYWHERE close to the KSC-75.
  • Koss ProDJ100.
  • Monoprice DJ headphone.
  • IEM - Soundmagic PL50
  • IEM - Monoprice 8320

Are there any mods to make KSC-75 more rigid? KSC-75 is sensitive to shaking. Shake it too much/Accidentally hit the table with the Koss will loosen the internal cable to the driver, and after a while it will break. If i can make the driver stick more rigidly, it might fix things. I do like its sound signature, for its price.

Putting this inside a spoiler since it is basically an useless clutter.

Time to start my rant. People at head-fi are sometimes just too positive, or too afraid to criticize some headphones. Bad SQ headphone 2,3 and 4 has been touted to be comparable to KSC-75. It doesn't come ANYWHERE close to it. I've also seen some members give opinions on headphones WITHOUT OWNING THEM. What? How do you give an opinion of its SQ without testing it? Somebody said the A2000x and the AD2000x are amplifier sensitive, yet I've tried 5 amplifiers with it, and there's not a single damn difference between them.

Now, the Westone UM3X. So much praises for this $500 earphone. When I tried it myself, I feel like wanting to shoot myself in the head for believing the hype. This was listening it WITH a bias that it's going to sound good. Boy, I wonder how it would have gone if I was fully pessimistic when I tried it on. It seems that the IEM community are less likely to own a headphone, so that might be the case.

I've been reading @takato14's posts. I guess I too, should go by measurements. I bought my ATs for comfort since I absolutely love the wing design. What I didn't expect is its sound will be the one to pull me in. My next headphone should be by measurement.

End rant.

I'm thankful for this thread, though I wish there are more high-end AT lovers.

EDIT: If anyone noticed from my post history, I praised the KSC-75 a lot. Things change over time though. I've been trying to decrease my bias, so my latest post is my current opinion of how these headphones rank. It does take a long testing time to form a solid opinion on which headphone you like better. Plus, the KSC-75 still sounds good.

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #4,689 of 8,134
^Uhh...as someone who's spent A LOT of money on ATs, you can't both solely rely on graphs and really enjoy ATs. Their magic is in the fact that they generally measure poorly but sound good (or at least unique) despite that.

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #4,690 of 8,134
Over and On-Ear:

1. HD800
2. Momentum over-ear
3. Amperior
4. Several of my other headphones I listen to for fun once in a while.
(eg. Razer Kraken Forged Edition, Sony XB500/XB700/XB1000, Shure SRH-840, Skullcandy Aviator, Koss PortaPro, etc.)

I also tend to make custom headphones for my personal use using drivers and housings and other parts from several headphones, which I listen to. Two new projects in progress I might post about later.

In-Ear:

1. Shure SE535
2. RHA MA750
3. Shure SE215
4. Momentum In-Ear
5. Several other IEMs and Earbud type of earphones I listen to once in a while.

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #4,691 of 8,134
^Uhh...as someone who's spent A LOT of money on ATs, you can't both solely rely on graphs and really enjoy ATs. Their magic is in the fact that they generally measure poorly but sound good (or at least unique) despite that

Measurement is an estimation tool. I didn't say it's an end-all be-all tool. It's a way to save money. The AD2000x and the A2000x both measures well AND sound amazing, if you just ignore the bass. I almost hated the AD2000x because it wasn't as bright as the A900x but when I get used to it, it's just amazing. The AD2000X was barely in the +-10dB of the flat response.

Worth mentioning that both the AD2000x and A2000X has those peaks in its measurements that I could never replicate by EQ, and that the AD2000x barely gets the 'AT magic' because its mids are recessed but makes it up for it with the incredible sound stage and the fact that you get used to the mids over time. I'm not sure about the wooden series. I took a look at the W5000 and it doesn't measure well but there are people who like it.

In fact I took a look at the UM3X's (bought it without looking at the measurements) measurements and I could see why I hated it for the reasons I gave above. (Btw, the treble is okay, not muddy, but okay. It felt sparkly).

The best way is to try it yourself, of course. I don't deny this. I'm just saying that having the measurements is useful if you can interpret it. It will save you time and money. Not everyone has the chance to try out cans before buying.

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #4,693 of 8,134
I really haven't owned that many good heaphones!

1) ATH-M50 that I bought as a temporary replacement to my K701.  That was four years and one new pair of ear pads ago.  Still sound awesome, for closed cans!

2) "A headphone, no matter how good it sounds, if never used, is the worst one of all." -- me.  AKG-K701 that I absolutely loved the sound of but HAD to sell because the bumps on the headband tormented me worse than my ex-wife (but were at least easier to get rid of).

3) Sony MDR-7506 I bought when I thought my time needed to be spent more in mixing and mastering than listening.

4) Yamaha RH5MA, stupid cheap ($60) on-ear cans that are comfortable, portable, play nicely straight out of my phone, and match my ATH-M50 as closely as any cheap, on-ear can every will.

(AKG-K712 by the first of the year, hopefully (damn you, Harman Direct!), and either a pair of DT990 Pro or one of the Senn HD598/600/650 to compliment them soon.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back