PS1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #151 of 3,605
Hello rich people!

But seriously, How do they compare to the Rs1's? I'm assuming that most of you will have had the Rs1's before diving into the PS1000's. Is it essential that you have a source to match them? or, like the Rs1's do they sound good used out of anything?

I would like to think that I will own them one day, even if it means selling my house ha ha

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #153 of 3,605

Quote:
Hello rich people!

But seriously, How do they compare to the Rs1's? I'm assuming that most of you will have had the Rs1's before diving into the PS1000's. Is it essential that you have a source to match them? or, like the Rs1's do they sound good used out of anything?

I would like to think that I will own them one day, even if it means selling my house ha ha

Surely if you can afford to own a house in England, you can afford to pay 1600 pound for a pair of PS1000.
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #154 of 3,605
@Bumblingboobyboy - today is a new day - I could pull a Pee Wee Herman and say "I meant to do that" but honestly I didn't get it, too much time on the political message boards where people post stuff much crazier in total seriousness. I thought I'd offended someone's deeply felt religious sensibilities. (Thanks so much for exporting your fanatics to the New World where we still have to deal with it constantly.)

Re-reading now it's hysterical! Dr. Smith & Will were definitely fashion icons, although I do worry that Will may have recovered memories sometime in the 23rd Century that might lead to a major settlement against the Jupiter Corporation.

I wonder what Grado's flagship phone will look like in the 23rd century? I don't doubt it will sound incredible, but let's be honest, it will probably look a lot like Beats.

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #155 of 3,605
Quote:
cool, shahzada, enjoy them - they're great cans - but i have to disagree re the GS1000i - i still think (i sound like a fanboy) that the vocals (mids) are NOT sucked out in the GS1000i, though the PS1000 is of course that much more "there."   Folks are just way too harsh about the GS1000i's - though not cheap (at least MSRP) - they have to be one of the most underrated cans around.

I would definitely own them if I could justify the expense, even after hearing them only once at DXC. Liked the fit and feel of them much better than the PS1000, and they sounded great too. But the only fate worse than being a PS1000 fan on Head-Fi is being a GS1000i fan.
smile.gif

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #156 of 3,605

Quote:

After about 50hrs the PS1000 are beginning to show their true colours.
The soundtage has widened, instruments' separation is much better, bass is tight and textured & the vocals are just about perfectly placed; neither too far back (as in the GS1000i) nor right in your face like the RS1i

AND it only gets better from here....

That's good to "hear".

Quote:
Hello rich people!

Rich! Not after buying these. If I may answer your question in a round about way, it's been a while since I've heard the RS1 but I felt at the time that the HF2 was comparable. The RS1 didn't sound like a clear upgrade to me; more of a different flavour. When I compare the HF2 to the PS1000, I hear a noticeable improvement in overall refinement and of course, soundstage. And yes, like other Grado's it's an efficient headphone that's easy to drive. It sounds very impressive out of everything that I plug it into. So I think that you could buy it and then take your time shopping around for an amp in the knowledge that it will sound damn fine just as it is.

Quote:
@Bumblingboobyboy - today is a new day - I could pull a Pee Wee Herman and say "I meant to do that" but honestly I didn't get it, too much time on the political message boards where people post stuff much crazier in total seriousness. I thought I'd offended someone's deeply felt religious sensibilities. (Thanks so much for exporting your fanatics to the New World where we still have to deal with it constantly.)

Re-reading now it's hysterical! Dr. Smith & Will were definitely fashion icons, although I do worry that Will may have recovered memories sometime in the 23rd Century that might lead to a major settlement against the Jupiter Corporation.

I wonder what Grado's flagship phone will look like in the 23rd century? I don't doubt it will sound incredible, but let's be honest, it will probably look a lot like Beats.

I understand. I usually only get my own humour which, makes me a tough audience for everyone other than myself.

Quote:
Quote:

I would definitely own them if I could justify the expense, even after hearing them only once at DXC. Liked the fit and feel of them much better than the PS1000, and they sounded great too. But the only fate worse than being a PS1000 fan on Head-Fi is being a GS1000i fan.
smile.gif

So true. 
wink.gif

I think that I just multi-quoted the entire thread.

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #157 of 3,605

Quote:
cool, shahzada, enjoy them - they're great cans - but i have to disagree re the GS1000i - i still think (i sound like a fanboy) that the vocals (mids) are NOT sucked out in the GS1000i, though the PS1000 is of course that much more "there."   Folks are just way too harsh about the GS1000i's - though not cheap (at least MSRP) - they have to be one of the most underrated cans around.

I did'nt mean to critisize the GS1000i, just my personal observation vis-a-vis the PS1000 & RS1i
I happen to own all three 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  and IMO the PS' vocals are right between the others'.

By the way I also have the LCD-2s & HD800s and, though great in their own right, the Grados just seem to me to have an endearing charm which results in the others only catching dust.
Mind you the other headphones are no slouches either, but IMHO it eventually comes down to personal choice, regardless of source, amp, cables etc.  

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #158 of 3,605

Quote:
Quote:

smile.gif

And not being a fan of LCD-2 rightnow is worse than being a GS1000i fan. You are supposed to hate the GS1000 and PS1000 (mabye even HD800) and love the LCD-2.
It seems that it is okay to hate the HD800 now. When the HD800 first came out, they were supposed to be completely neutral. Anyone who suggested otherwise would be told to change the source and amp, or go to live concerts more often. Someone from Sennheiser even came to the thread to "conclude" that any treble problem heard through the HD800 was in the source itself. Now, a lot of people think they sound very bad- even unbearable. ????
If you do a search here, you'll find that GS1000 had good reviews too at one point and were compared to HP1000 and PS1. They also went down well in Europe. Opinions just vary so much from different people at different times. What can we do? I just have to trust my own hearing. If it is different from everyone else's, so be it.
normal_smile .gif

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #160 of 3,605

Quote:
I did'nt mean to critisize the GS1000i, just my personal observation vis-a-vis the PS1000 & RS1i
I happen to own all three 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  and IMO the PS' vocals are right between the others'.

By the way I also have the LCD-2s & HD800s and, though great in their own right, the Grados just seem to me to have an endearing charm which results in the others only catching dust.
Mind you the other headphones are no slouches either, but IMHO it eventually comes down to personal choice, regardless of source, amp, cables etc.  

I don't own these other headphones but I've tried them (with the exception of the GS1000i) and this has also been my experience. 

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #161 of 3,605
I'm sorry, I love the LCD-2's, they provide such a unique and wonderful sound. The company is GREAT to deal with. And I listen to them a LOT.

But feed the PS1000's a beautiful signal and it's ecstasy. I move from phone to phone depending on ambient noise. Denon D5000's for a lot of noise. LCD-2's for moderate noise. But when it's quiet and I put on the Grados it just feels so incredible. Thundering bass, mids speaking into your ear, treble sweeter than German wine. It's just so present and 3 dimensional, even visual. The price point is justified.

Greatness is not for everyone. 

Apr 10, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #162 of 3,605
There's no need to be an apologist for your LCD-2's. They are fine headphones; albeit hyped to the hilt with an almost evangelical zeal by a vocal minority in these forum threads. This is the PS1000 Appreciation Thread after all. 
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #165 of 3,605
This Schiit Lyr with Gold Lion tubes is pretty amazing. The LCD-2s might NEED a high power amp, but the PS1000's just frigging GLOW with it. The Lyr is (possibly) not perfect, but has been a revelation for me with all my phones, especially the PS1000. It's the odd bass thump or white noise transient that benefits from having all that extra power in reserve, and the PS1000 just sucks it up and renders it beautifully with absolutely no distortion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back