PS1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #121 of 3,605

Quote:
As pcf said, just give Grado a call. E-mail usually takes longer. I called on a Saturday once and I think John himself picked up. Service turnaround time was quick and I wasn't even charged for a driver replacement even though I was quoted $100. Grado even shipped it back 3 day express to CA too.

Hey Purrin, I've followed Bilavideo's and your PS1000 posts before.  Out of curiosity, what made you switch to the HD800? 

Mar 26, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #122 of 3,605

Quote:
It's early days yet but I can't think of a headphone that I've enjoyed listening to more from the outset and it even sounds great straight from an ipod.

It only got better for me, and I hope you have the same experience. Congratulations on your purchase!

Quote:
I recently heard the LCD-2s at a local meet and based on all the raving on these forums I thought they would blow away my beloved PS1000, but that didn't happen.  Although they sounded pretty good, they were too dark for my taste.

That's the way I felt, although I readily admit that hearing the LCD-2 at a meet only was not enough for me to form a full opinion. It was clear to me however that I would never be able to understand why that headphone is (or was?) a total Head-Fi darling and the PS1000 a lost cause.

Mar 26, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #123 of 3,605

Quote:
@bumbling - congrats and welcome aboard!!!!

Thanks. It's nice to part of the minority. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Glad to see some PS1000 love! I got mine 6 months ago and love them.  Unfortunately due to lack of funds I haven't been able to buy a decent amp, although I'm saving to get the WA 6SE by the end of the year.  I recently heard the LCD-2s at a local meet and based on all the raving on these forums I thought they would blow away my beloved PS1000, but that didn't happen.  Although they sounded pretty good, they were too dark for my taste.  I highly recommend the JMoney headband if you can buy one.

I felt the same way about the LCD-2.

Quote:

It only got better for me, and I hope you have the same experience. Congratulations on your purchase!

That's the way I felt, although I readily admit that hearing the LCD-2 at a meet only was not enough for me to form a full opinion. It was clear to me however that I would never be able to understand why that headphone is (or was?) a total Head-Fi darling and the PS1000 a lost cause.

Thanks. Having heard them both, I really don't understand the polarity of opinion that's prevalent here either. They're both highly resolving headphones and each have their own sonic flavour. I just happen to prefer the flavour of the PS1000.   

Mar 26, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #124 of 3,605
I don't quite unsterstand some of the extreme criticism directed at this headphone. It is one thing to not like the PS1000 but to say they are in the same quality level as a $300-$500  headphone is over the top. One guy even compared the PS1000 to Skullcandies in the other website today. This is not even the usual Grado bashing. PS-1 never get that kind of sh1t thrown at them. Are they better than PS1000? It is a matter of opinions.

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #126 of 3,605

Quote:
Skullcandies, really? If only I'd known this sooner. 
wink.gif

Here's the quote:
"PS1000 is about as far from neutral as you can get without going to Monster Turbines, some Skullcandies, etc."

Now you wish you didn't buy them after reading the above comment from the expert.
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #127 of 3,605
I have the PS1000's, adore them. Grado does excitement, discovery, emotionality so beautifully! I recently got the LCD-2's and love them too. My Schiit Lyr drives them both just fine. I really don't find the LCD-2's dark at all. What I would say is the PS1000's are sublime on great sources but they do not tolerate fools lightly. They resolve every molecule of available air, and if there's digital grunge in that air, or the bass, you will hear it without apology. The LCD-2's are equally resolving but in a gentler, more tactful way when it comes to sources from the wrong side of the tracks. And there's a smoothness, a "unity" to the sound which is wholly different from what you hear with dynamic phones. In noisy environments the LCD-2's do isolate a little bit better, and this can be important when you want better sound than closed phones can offer and have an S/O that must watch TV while you are listening. And the build quality is just incredible. They are both just exceptional. Why can't we all just get along? The Bible doesn't say that marriage is between 1 Head-Fier and 1 Headphone. Sometimes you're in the mood for one, sometimes the other. Both companies are incredible to deal with, very customer centered, and make me hopeful that American engineering & manufacturing is still at the forefront, even if only in this tiny niche market.

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #128 of 3,605
Wow just now listening to Dead Kennedy's Plastic Surgery Disasters... if you love white noise and anger the PS1000's ROCK SUPREME! (LCD-2s were great too, but the PS1000's make me want to throw bricks thru windows!)

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #129 of 3,605

Quote:
Hey Purrin, I've followed Bilavideo's and your PS1000 posts before.  Out of curiosity, what made you switch to the HD800? 

HD800s are my wife's favorites. I sold off my PS1000 to offset the costs of an HP2 and a deposit an BHSE. I feel I may regret this decision, but I just had too much stuff lying around.

Mar 27, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #130 of 3,605

Quote:
I have the PS1000's, adore them. Grado does excitement, discovery, emotionality so beautifully! I recently got the LCD-2's and love them too. My Schiit Lyr drives them both just fine. I really don't find the LCD-2's dark at all. What I would say is the PS1000's are sublime on great sources but they do not tolerate fools lightly. They resolve every molecule of available air, and if there's digital grunge in that air, or the bass, you will hear it without apology. The LCD-2's are equally resolving but in a gentler, more tactful way when it comes to sources from the wrong side of the tracks. And there's a smoothness, a "unity" to the sound which is wholly different from what you hear with dynamic phones. In noisy environments the LCD-2's do isolate a little bit better, and this can be important when you want better sound than closed phones can offer and have an S/O that must watch TV while you are listening. And the build quality is just incredible. They are both just exceptional. Why can't we all just get along? The Bible doesn't say that marriage is between 1 Head-Fier and 1 Headphone. Sometimes you're in the mood for one, sometimes the other. Both companies are incredible to deal with, very customer centered, and make me hopeful that American engineering & manufacturing is still at the forefront, even if only in this tiny niche market.

That's how I feel about the PS1000. I was impressed with the LCD-2 and I can understand why it is lauded. It's a fine headphone. Like Priest, what I don't understand is why the PS1000 is not considered by some here to be worthy of consideration alongside it and the other flagship dynamic headphones currently on offer. I've tried most of them and a few electrostats, and I found them to be comparable from a technical standpoint. So in the end, it came down to a matter of personal preference for me and the PS1000 just appealed to my taste more but that doesn't mean that I think it is objectively better or that any of the other headphones were objectively worse. 

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #131 of 3,605
I think in the larger world of mature, reasonable audiophiles the PS1000 IS considered as good as other flagship headphones. It's just on Head-Fi where the fanboy tribalism reaches such a fever. Especially on the "other headphone forum which shall remain..." namelessheiser on here.

The PS1000's are not a fashion statement. The packaging reminds me of generic paper towels. And you don't look like a borg while wearing them. Your friends will see them and think, "did your Dad give you these, was he into ham radio?" This is so disturbing to some folks they can't just hear them objectively. And hey, I love fashionable tech, great packaging that makes my pulse quicken as I tear into it, and love the borg look. I think even many of the the most over-engineered, over hyped, logo-embossed from head-to-toe, headphones are totally wonderful.

But I do not discount Grado. From very early in my life they have provided INCREDIBLE value in the low end, probably responsible for my addiction starting with their (at the time) $36 dollar phono cartridges. Maybe Grado's high end is a bit overpriced, but not by more than a benjamin or two (but they are NOT overrated sound-wise). However, Grado's low-end is ridiculously underpriced and brings quality sound to people regardless of income. Overall, once you've moved up the line, you've still spent less than most lines, and love it or hate it, they do present a unique and wonderful window on the world of recorded sound.

Think about it. This is the 21st Century.Transducer tech is very mature. If it were possible to TRULY make a 100% transparent, perfect, reference sounding headphone, it would be easily repeatable and all Flagship headphones would sound exactly alike. No manufacturer has a monopoly on truth or technology. Even the HD800's have a signature just as much as any other brand. And quite a I lovely one I understand from its fans.

All these companies are providing you their take on what makes music lovely. If your brain and ear physiology happens to be similar to their prime engineer, you'll find Nirvana no matter what model you buy. Companies like Grado and Audeze are still run by their founders, and you're buying into their sound. What's disturbing is when you deal with a multi-national conglomerate, where the phones are designed by committee or whoever's in vogue in the corporate power structure at the moment (Sony). There are spots of greatness, and spots of horrifically overpriced crap. You never know what your going to get. That's where you can end up wasting a lot of bucks, each model is designed in a vacuum from all the others.

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #132 of 3,605
Just finished listening to "Combat Rock" by The Clash on my PS1000 for the first time, and Joe Strummer sent a shiver down my spine when he sang "Straight to Hell"...I love these headphones.

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #133 of 3,605

This is very true.  It seems almost like you have to choose sides on some of these forums.  The sad thing is that people new to the headphone world will see these postings and never even think of giving headphones like the PS1000 a chance.  I've actually seen several head-fiers dismissing the PS1000 solely based on the FR chart, having never listened to them.

Quote:
I think in the larger world of mature, reasonable audiophiles the PS1000 IS considered as good as other flagship headphones. It's just on Head-Fi where the fanboy tribalism reaches such a fever. Especially on the "other headphone forum which shall remain..." namelessheiser on here.

The PS1000's are not a fashion statement. The packaging reminds me of generic paper towels. And you don't look like a borg while wearing them. Your friends will see them and think, "did your Dad give you these, was he into ham radio?" This is so disturbing to some folks they can't just hear them objectively. And hey, I love fashionable tech, great packaging that makes my pulse quicken as I tear into it, and love the borg look. I think even many of the the most over-engineered, over hyped, logo-embossed from head-to-toe, headphones are totally wonderful.

But I do not discount Grado. From very early in my life they have provided INCREDIBLE value in the low end, probably responsible for my addiction starting with their (at the time) $36 dollar phono cartridges. Maybe Grado's high end is a bit overpriced, but not by more than a benjamin or two (but they are NOT overrated sound-wise). However, Grado's low-end is ridiculously underpriced and brings quality sound to people regardless of income. Overall, once you've moved up the line, you've still spent less than most lines, and love it or hate it, they do present a unique and wonderful window on the world of recorded sound.

Think about it. This is the 21st Century.Transducer tech is very mature. If it were possible to TRULY make a 100% transparent, perfect, reference sounding headphone, it would be easily repeatable and all Flagship headphones would sound exactly alike. No manufacturer has a monopoly on truth or technology. Even the HD800's have a signature just as much as any other brand. And quite a I lovely one I understand from its fans.

All these companies are providing you their take on what makes music lovely. If your brain and ear physiology happens to be similar to their prime engineer, you'll find Nirvana no matter what model you buy. Companies like Grado and Audeze are still run by their founders, and you're buying into their sound. What's disturbing is when you deal with a multi-national conglomerate, where the phones are designed by committee or whoever's in vogue in the corporate power structure at the moment (Sony). There are spots of greatness, and spots of horrifically overpriced crap. You never know what your going to get. That's where you can end up wasting a lot of bucks, each model is designed in a vacuum from all the others.

Apr 3, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #134 of 3,605
Quote:
This is very true.  It seems almost like you have to choose sides on some of these forums.  The sad thing is that people new to the headphone world will see these postings and never even think of giving headphones like the PS1000 a chance.  I've actually seen several head-fiers dismissing the PS1000 solely based on the FR chart, having never listened to them.

I believe the truth will prevail over time with these headphones.

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #135 of 3,605
I believe it will, and in the larger world I think it has. Grado's not hurting, and are well adored by those who've been around the block a time or two. They probably could've sold the company to Bose, Harmon-Kardon, etc. (Mark-Levinson sound in a Lexus, excuse me?)  FR graphs? Nice, but I can do them in Excel with little effort. They could've hired marketing MBA's from Harvard etc., a "social networking" marketing expert with a team of forum posters, and been the darling of Head-Fi. But they seem to want to be a smaller, family controlled business with a cult following. Nothing wrong with that as long as they keep up their integrity in the sound department.  (WE ARE WATCHING). I'm thinking at some point they will have to yield to competitive pressure and spend money on 4-color packaging, steel molds for custom housings, silk-screened logos on Chinese pigskin (excuse me, "natural lambskin") pads. The look & build quality outside the drivers & housings (state of the art) ARE dated and that won't fly for much longer. But I hope they always keep their eye on the prize, beautiful sound. This company is an American treasure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back