PS1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #166 of 3,605
Cary tube amps. Xciter and SLI-80 are great with either the PS1000 or GS1000i. Actually, the Headroom ultramicro stack works great with my GS1000i though I never tried it with my PS1000. I'm guessing that it'll work great with the PS1000.

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #168 of 3,605
Just traded my HD800's for PS1000's, only had them for a few hours but already I know I made the right decision. Driving them with my Schiit Lyr & already noticing more warmth and richer bass - I love my LCD-2's too but I think the Grado's might be my go to's for a while - very exciting!

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #169 of 3,605
Welcome to an exclusive club. 
wink.gif
 If you don't mind me asking, why did you trade your HD800's?

Apr 15, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #170 of 3,605
Thanks, I just really wanted the 1000's. The HD800's sounded great, but I always felt something was missing...the wow factor I guess, really great, detailed sound, wide soundstage etc, just not fun though (to me). I've always really enjoyed my SR80i's, so I reasoned that it would be a logical choice. Would have been nice to have both & compare, but that didn't make sense. Thanks again :D

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #171 of 3,605

I am a little disappointed with the performance of the PS1000 with the Woo WA22.
Very sharp highs, mids just about OK, boomy bass, separation not good, feels congested even  
confused_face_2.gif

Both have had 100+ hrs of burn in.
The source is excellent and am running it balanced.(only from source to amp. the headphones are Furutech SE)
Anyone tried this combo?
Maybe some tube rolling needed ??

OTOH the RS1i sounds fantastic with the Woo.

Please advice.

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #172 of 3,605
Some people feel that the bass on the PS1000 is a bit boomy but "very sharp highs" doesn't sound right, especially from the Woo WA22. If you hear very sharp highs on your PS1000 but the RS1i sounds fantastic from the same source and amp. you might want to make sure that your PS1000 are not defective. There seems to be quality control issue with some of them. I sent my pair to Grado labs for checking for that reason.

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #173 of 3,605

Quote:
Some people feel that the bass on the PS1000 is a bit boomy but "very sharp highs" doesn't sound right, especially from the Woo WA22. If you hear very sharp highs on your PS1000 but the RS1i sounds fantastic from the same source and amp. you might want to make sure that your PS1000 are not defective. There seems to be quality control issue with some of them. I sent my pair to Grado labs for checking for that reason.

Could'nt agree with you more on the QC issue with Grados.
I had to send both my brand new RS1i (driver replacement) & GS1000i (presently with Grado for driver replacement as well)
I was hoping that they would at least get their flagship model right.
mad.gif

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #175 of 3,605

Quote:
Could'nt agree with you more on the QC issue with Grados.
I had to send both my brand new RS1i (driver replacement) & GS1000i (presently with Grado for driver replacement as well)
I was hoping that they would at least get their flagship model right.
mad.gif

Bummer! I almost feel blessed for not having QC problems with any of mine. I don't find the highs of the PS1000 sharp. This is the smoothest sounding Grado that I've heard. I'd describe the highs as extended and sparkling. However, I do think that the bass presentation is the weak point of this phone and that's been mentioned previously in this thread. I wouldn't describe it as boomy but it's not the most detailed and textured that I've heard either. I'd describe it as a little soft. 

I don't have a dedicated amp for the the PS1000 as yet and am currently exploring options. I think it was purrin who said that the highs of the PS1000 would benefit from tubes and the lows from solid state amplification. The out of production Melos SHA-1 hybrid amp comes to mind as a potentially ideal match for this phone. I believe that John Grado uses one. It's got me wondering as to whether the new Lyr hybrid might be a good match. Though I'd be wary of blowing the drivers out of the PS1000's enclosures by teaming it with such a beast of an amp.

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #176 of 3,605
I have to disagree with alot of the comments on the PS1000's bass in this thread, the bass to my ears is rich and distinguishable from the mids- clearly defined and spacious enough to allow the flow of the recording to sound as it was intended.....i.e. you can clearly hear the instrument, or baritone, or whatever low frequency is in the mix. As with all equipment, you hear what you're listening for, and I personally find the Grado's let this happen intuitively. They certainly have a unique signature & for me, that's why I own a pair. Why do alot of critiques seem to be about what something is not or how it should be. I thought this was the PS1000 appreciation thread?

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #177 of 3,605

Thought that this post that I had in another thread would be better in here

Pictures of my PS1000's with JMoney v3 headband and black and silver silicone bands to protect the earcups. 

*Pictures taken with my iPhone so not the best of quality.

1000x500px-LL-9220d65d_iphone020.jpg

1000x500px-LL-64e2741d_iphone022.jpg

1000x500px-LL-cae717c3_iphone023.jpg

Apr 16, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #178 of 3,605

Quote:

I am a little disappointed with the performance of the PS1000 with the Woo WA22.
Very sharp highs, mids just about OK, boomy bass, separation not good, feels congested even  
confused_face_2.gif

Both have had 100+ hrs of burn in.
The source is excellent and am running it balanced.(only from source to amp. the headphones are Furutech SE)
Anyone tried this combo?
Maybe some tube rolling needed ??

OTOH the RS1i sounds fantastic with the Woo.

Please advice.

I have the wa22 with mine as well. Which tubes have you tried? Depending on your configuration your wa22 is likely contributing to much of the boominess. Fortunately, the wa22 has a ton of tube rolling options.

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #179 of 3,605

Quote:
I have to disagree with alot of the comments on the PS1000's bass in this thread, the bass to my ears is rich and distinguishable from the mids- clearly defined and spacious enough to allow the flow of the recording to sound as it was intended.....i.e. you can clearly hear the instrument, or baritone, or whatever low frequency is in the mix. As with all equipment, you hear what you're listening for, and I personally find the Grado's let this happen intuitively. They certainly have a unique signature & for me, that's why I own a pair. Why do alot of critiques seem to be about what something is not or how it should be. I thought this was the PS1000 appreciation thread?

No need to get defensive. Let's not confuse an appreciation thread with a propaganda thread. 
smile.gif
 No headphone is perfect; not even the PS1000. There's plenty of praise for it here but that doesn't mean that PS1000 owners should ignore its flaws, if that's how we perceive them. For example, I happen to love the look of the matte aluminium enclosures but I'm not enamored with the two nicks that came with them at no extra charge.

Like a couple of other PS1000 owners who have posted here, I too have found the bass presentation of the PS1000 to be its shortcoming. Despite this, we still think that the PS1000 is a wonderful headphone. It's also been mentioned here that the bass tightens up after a time. I hope that it does and I'll keep an open mind about that. Saying that the PS1000's bass presentation is its weakness, is not the same as saying that its bass is poorly presented or sub-standard. It's just not its strength relative to everything else that it does so exceptionally well in my opinion.  

I happen to like the way the PS1000 renders bass overall but would I appreciate it even more if it was as detailed and textural as the HD800 and W5000? Well yes I would. That's a subtraction for the PS1000 compared to those flagship headphones in that area of performance but I prefer the PS1000 to them both. So on balance, the positive attributes of the PS1000 clearly outweigh those of the other two headphones to my ears and I don't think that's incompatible with the purpose of this thread.

Apr 17, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #180 of 3,605

No need to get defensive. Let's not confuse an appreciation thread with a propaganda thread. 
smile.gif
 No headphone is perfect; not even the PS1000. There's plenty of praise for it here but that doesn't mean that PS1000 owners should ignore its flaws, if that's how we perceive them. For example, I happen to love the look of the matte aluminium enclosures but I'm not enamored with the two nicks that came with them at no extra charge.

Like a couple of other PS1000 owners who have posted here, I too have found the bass presentation of the PS1000 to be its shortcoming. Despite this, we still think that the PS1000 is a wonderful headphone. It's also been mentioned here that the bass tightens up after a time. I hope that it does and I'll keep an open mind about that. Saying that the PS1000's bass presentation is its weakness, is not the same as saying that its bass is poorly presented or sub-standard. It's just not its strength relative to everything else that it does so exceptionally well in my opinion.  

I happen to like the way the PS1000 renders bass overall but would I appreciate it even more if it was as detailed and textural as the HD800 and W5000? Well yes I would. That's a subtraction for the PS1000 compared to those flagship headphones in that area of performance but I prefer the PS1000 to them both. So on balance, the positive attributes of the PS1000 clearly outweigh those of the other two headphones to my ears and I don't think that's incompatible with the purpose of this thread.

Fair enough, discussion is the key to discovering like minded perceptions and for finding common areas that we would like to see improve & develop. I realise that all comments & opinions are in the spirit of this forum & I thank you for the reasonable response to my post- and given that I've only had my PS1000's for a short time, I'm in no position to be blindly dismissing the seasoned opinions of people who I actually read, respect & were a major reason for getting them. I realise I probably came across a little gung ho, and I appreciate your reasoning & will be reserving future comments for a couple of hundred more hours of listening. They are but nice though (and mine have a complimentary nick on the right cup to boot). Cheers :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back