PS1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #136 of 3,605
I can't argue with any of that. Except, there's a world beyond Head-Fi?!?
smile.gif

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #137 of 3,605
Time will tell. Let's not forget that these are bloody expensive headphones that cost more than most of the current flagship offerings from other manufacturers. I can well understand why some prospective customers, including audiophooles, might feel short changed by the spartan packaging and less than perfect build quality.

I happen to love the utilitarian design of Grado's. I think they're cool, although I much prefer the look of my matte finish PS1000 to the new "50 cent" version (Grado, what were you thinking?). However, I'm not a fan of their quality control. My PS1000 has a ding on the edge of each cup. At $1695 USD, I don't think that's good enough.

I also have a beautiful pair of headphones made from ebony wood, with "Spanish lambskin" earpads. The build quality is impeccable and they came in a red satin lined carry case. It was a thrill to receive them and opening the meticulously presented package was akin to attending a gala event. But the plain PS1000 has exposed the sonic flaws of that deluxe headphone in short order.   

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #139 of 3,605
How many hours do the PS need to burn-in.
I just got brand new pairs of RS1i & PS1000 together and am not very happy with the SQ of the PS1000 right out of the box.
Am running them thru Woo WA22

The RS1i on the other hand sound GREAT right out of the box. IMO that is how it should be.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #140 of 3,605
What was I thinking... the world beyond Head-Fi is probably just a myth, but it gives me hope in times of trouble. Like when a bad batch of capacitors hits the streets and amp junkies are dying off in droves.

I've heard of a far-off land called Facebook where happy people wearing Dr. Dre Beats post recipes for green bean casserole without fear of recrimination on either count. Is it Heaven or is it Hell?

The one thing I have faith in, is that over time, all these existential questions will be answered on Head-Fi!

That's why I stand ready with my purple robe and cup of cyanide-laced Kool-Aid. When Skylab posts his final review, calling us to move to the next level, where bass is earth-shattering, midrange speaks to your soul, and treble sings like Angel's breath... I will be ready to go.

Are you with me brothers and sisters?

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #142 of 3,605

Quote:
What was I thinking... the world beyond Head-Fi is probably just a myth, but it gives me hope in times of trouble. Like when a bad batch of capacitors hits the streets and amp junkies are dying off in droves.

I've heard of a far-off land called Facebook where happy people wearing Dr. Dre Beats post recipes for green bean casserole without fear of recrimination on either count. Is it Heaven or is it Hell?

The one thing I have faith in, is that over time, all these existential questions will be answered on Head-Fi!

That's why I stand ready with my purple robe and cup of cyanide-laced Kool-Aid. When Skylab posts his final review, calling us to move to the next level, where bass is earth-shattering, midrange speaks to your soul, and treble sings like Angel's breath... I will be ready to go.

Are you with me brothers and sisters?

Speaking for myself, no. Existentialism? It's not about you sferic, me or anyone else. However, I am prepared to upload your act at YouTube and ensure that the world is notified via social media, which of course will include your 126,316 facebook friends. Your PS1000 will be bequeathed in accordance with your wishes.

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #143 of 3,605
LOL Bumblingbooby, I love your Lost In Space pic, it was my favorite show as a child. 

Kind of thinking you didn't see the humor in my post, but that's OK. I'm not for everyone. But I do enjoy Head-Fi and probably won't stop posting. On FB, I have fewer friends than my age, which is 50. Internet democracy can be a b*tch.

Like Priest, I will be buried with my PS1000's. Selfish I know.

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #144 of 3,605
Count me in.  It would be awesome if you could listen to your PS1000 in the afterlife (assuming there's any)

I agree Grado can do more on the comfort department, but the PS1000 never felt bad on my head.  Maybe we are the minority on this, but they seem to clamp just fine.  I do start noticing them after a few hours.

I recently got a pair of Dynaudio BM5A monitors thinking they would replace my headphone equipment, but that didn't happen.  My Grados will take them on any day.

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #145 of 3,605
So, seriously now. TV is off, roommates gone, and hearing my PS1000's with the Schiit Lyr and the GL E88CC tubes. Nothing to fear, the treble is (well maybe not quite as sweet as Angels' breath but) clear and present and not emphasized at all. But this high-powered amp with a high efficiency, highly resolving phone is REALLY nice. The bass is MUCH more kicking than with my LDMKIII, and the rest is rocking. I'm loving the LCD-2s but putting on the PS1000's is still just. the. best. I'm still getting used to this setup but I'm thinking the LCD-2's are the best closed (but not closed) phones ever. But the PS1000's just turn the music into weird things flying around the room. Maybe they need the power for the transients, but they resolve them effortlessly. The dynamic range on these things is incredible. This is nice. And I'm talking about listening to the Team America soundtrack, "America F*ck Yeah" never brought me so close to tears.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #146 of 3,605
Quote:
SHAHZADA123 said:
How many hours do the PS need to burn-in.
I just got brand new pairs of RS1i & PS1000 together and am not very happy with the SQ of the PS1000 right out of the box.
Am running them thru Woo WA22

The RS1i on the other hand sound GREAT right out of the box. IMO that is how it should be.

The PS1000 sounded a little boomy at the very beginning, but that was all.  It was all love after that.  Keep listening to them, they might grow on you, or not :frowning2:.  The RS1 are  still a very solid pair of cans, glad to hear you're enjoying them.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #147 of 3,605

Quote:
LOL Bumblingbooby, I love your Lost In Space pic, it was my favorite show as a child. 

Kind of thinking you didn't see the humor in my post, but that's OK. I'm not for everyone. But I do enjoy Head-Fi and probably won't stop posting. On FB, I have fewer friends than my age, which is 50. Internet democracy can be a b*tch.

Like Priest, I will be buried with my PS1000's. Selfish I know.

I got it alright. Did you get mine? 
smile.gif
 Ah so that's what it's from! I thought it was an ad for Le Plus Moderne velour sweaters. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #149 of 3,605

Quote:

The PS1000 sounded a little boomy at the very beginning, but that was all.  It was all love after that.  Keep listening to them, they might grow on you, or not :frowning2:.  The RS1 are  still a very solid pair of cans, glad to hear you're enjoying them.

After about 50hrs the PS1000 are beginning to show their true colours.
The soundtage has widened, instruments' separation is much better, bass is tight and textured & the vocals are just about perfectly placed; neither too far back (as in the GS1000i) nor right in your face like the RS1i

AND it only gets better from here....

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #150 of 3,605
cool, shahzada, enjoy them - they're great cans - but i have to disagree re the GS1000i - i still think (i sound like a fanboy) that the vocals (mids) are NOT sucked out in the GS1000i, though the PS1000 is of course that much more "there."   Folks are just way too harsh about the GS1000i's - though not cheap (at least MSRP) - they have to be one of the most underrated cans around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back