PS1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #1,564 of 3,605
  I liked the Soloist very much, and wouldn't have sold it if I didn't come across the
HeadAmp GS-1, which I wanted in the first place, but kept missing out on their sales…they get snatched up pretty quickly! 

The Woo WA6 SE that I'm using is modded to allow use of 6DN7 tubes (Woo did the work and it requires a socket coverter) ... with two Westinghouse 6DN7's the sound is more balanced than when using the stock GE tubes ... sounding really nice ...

I'm going to borrow a GS-1 from a friend (if she still has it) ... or maybe an ECP
DSHA-1​
solid state amp ... to see how the PS1K's sound with a SS amp vs the Woo tube amp ...

But the 6DN7 tubes are definitely tightening up the bass a bit ...

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #1,565 of 3,605

I'm fairly certain that's to account for the bigger 50mm drivers. That said, with my noggin and ears, I felt both were equally comfortable...that's to say about adequate to good.

I have a smallish head, and ears, that's most likely the reason of my discomfort. As you know, I do like the deeper bass of the PS1000e, and also, with some recordings, I'd appreciate it's more forgiving treble. That being said I think that my ''old'' PS1000 have a slightly bigger soundstage, probably because the drivers aren't as close to the ears, and with most recordings, I do prefer the hotter treble of the PS1000. 

As you can see, I like them both, so in a way, the comfort issue is not such a bad thing, because I don't think that I'd be willing to sell my old PS1000. This may seem ridiculous, but I draw the line, at one pair of headphones per model.  

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #1,566 of 3,605

I went to my audio dealer today, to give the PS1000e, another try and, veven though I liked the deeper base an overall smoother sound,
they were just too uncomfortable for me to just sit back and enjoy the music. The drivers were touching, and pressing against my ears.

Just so can see for yourself what I'm talking about, I asked the salesman to hold the PS1000e, while I took a pictrue.

As you can see, the driver sticks out, and the earpads have a weird appearance. Oh well !, I'll just have to keep my ''old '' PS1000.

That actually looks like they pushed the pads too far down on the driver ... it's a pretty well known hack/mod that lots of GS1000 users employed to shorten the distance of the drivers from your ears, thereby increasing the midrange of the GS1K's a bit ... I used my GS1000's like that, exclusively and 100% of the time; sort of neat cause it was just so easy and was totally reversible ...

Look at this sellers PS1000e auction at Ebay .. he provides some  very nice pictures of how the pads should actually fit over the driver:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-PS-1000e-/231500370879?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e67f53bf

In your picture, they have definitely pushed the inner edges of the pad too far over the wooden edge of the drivers...

I'd suggest going back and correcting the fit of the pads cause when they are pushed down like that, the drivers will definitely touch your ear....

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #1,568 of 3,605
This may seem ridiculous, but I draw the line, at one pair of headphones per model.  

Me TOO!!!! One headphone per model (errrr... except I have both a RS1 with buttons and an RS1i without, but don't tell anyone).

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #1,569 of 3,605
Me TOO!!!! One headphone per model (errrr... except I have both a RS1 with buttons and an RS1i without, but don't tell anyone).

Don't worry, your secret's safe with me, I had told myself that I'd give my SR80i to my niece, when I bought my SR80e, and they are still here, in my home office
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #1,570 of 3,605

The Woo WA6 SE that I'm using is modded to allow use of 6DN7 tubes (Woo did the work and it requires a socket coverter) ... with two Westinghouse 6DN7's the sound is more balanced than when using the stock GE tubes ... sounding really nice ...

I'm going to borrow a GS-1 from a friend (if she still has it) ... or maybe an ECP
DSHA-1​
solid state amp ... to see how the PS1K's sound with a SS amp vs the Woo tube amp ...

But the 6DN7 tubes are definitely tightening up the bass a bit ...

Nice!
Let me know how you like the GS-1 with the PS1K or ant Grado for that matter.
I used the 6FD7 Big Bottles in the 6-SE when I had it and it also tightened the bass and, but I still prefer a SS amp with the PS1K's.

Look at this sellers PS1000e auction at Ebay .. he provides some  very nice pictures of how the pads should actually fit over the driver:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-PS-1000e-/231500370879?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e67f53bf

This seller lowered the price of these from $1500.00 to $1250.00…for anyone wanting a PS1Ke I would jump all over these at this price!

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #1,571 of 3,605

DSHA-1​

But the 6DN7 tubes are definitely tightening up the bass a bit.

I found changing the rectifier tube from the sophia electric to a mullard GZ34 or USAF596 tightened up the bass considerably with my WA6SE. This was with 6DR7 output tubes on the PS1000.

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #1,572 of 3,605
  I found changing the rectifier tube from the sophia electric to a mullard GZ34 or USAF596 tightened up the bass considerably with my WA6SE. This was with 6DR7 output tubes on the PS1000.

I used the 596 with my 6-SE and also use it with my WA6 and it is an excellent rectifier tube but I still feel the PS1K's bass tightens up considerably with a SS amp. By all means the PS1K's sound fine with the WA6/SE but not as good as a SS for me. The PS is a warmer/darker sounding Grado which is why I feel it needs a SS amp to tighten/liven it up…IME/IMO 
smile.gif

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #1,574 of 3,605
I used the 596 with my 6-SE and also use it with my WA6 and it is an excellent rectifier tube but I still feel the PS1K's bass tightens up considerably with a SS amp. By all means the PS1K's sound fine with the WA6/SE but not as good as a SS for me. The PS is a warmer/darker sounding Grado which is why I feel it needs a SS amp to tighten/liven it up…IME/IMO :smile:

My post was meant for tube recommendations for s1rrah. It was not aimed at you, nor to start a tube vs solid state debate. :D

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #1,575 of 3,605
My post was meant for tube recommendations for s1rrah. It was not aimed at you, nor to start a tube vs solid state debate.
biggrin.gif

I can read, so I know what your post was about, and all I did was say I use the 596 like you (conversing)
And I'm not trying to start a tube vs SS debate, I own both...so why would you say this?
Oh, and after all this time, thanks for letting me know the rules for posting on this thread, I didn't know a post had to be aimed at you in order for one to reply. @s1rrah asked me about the Soloist and is also trying to borrow a GS-1 for his PS1K's to hear if he prefers it to his 6-SE…so maybe you should re-read the posts that were made prior to yours. Oh, and don't worry, I won't reply to any your posts from here on in. Once again, thanks for teaching me the rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back