PS1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #1,546 of 3,605
I've only seen these wooden cases listed at the Grado franchise store 4OurEars. And if you actually try to order one, they say it is out of stock. And if you ask when it will be back, your answer is...

This is where I also saw the wood cases. When they first came out I believe they cost $100.00 but most had quality issue with their finish/construction if I remember correctly, so maybe Grado discontinued them?

Mar 8, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #1,547 of 3,605
  This is where I also saw the wood cases. When they first came out I believe they cost $100.00 but most had quality issue with their finish/construction if I remember correctly, so maybe Grado discontinued them?

I really love the sound, but I'm begining to  wonder about this company.  1.  The Frankenstein mistakes.  2. The inability to provide a good case for purchase.  and   3. They seem (according to various things I hear evry so often) dificult to get service from.
Not the good ol' family business in Brooklyn.
Still make d*mn good product in the long run.

Mar 8, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #1,548 of 3,605

I really love the sound, but I'm begining to  wonder about this company.  1.  The Frankenstein mistakes.  2. The inability to provide a good case for purchase.  and   3. They seem (according to various things I hear evry so often) dificult to get service from.
Not the good ol' family business in Brooklyn.
Still make d*mn good product in the long run.

I think their product item-to-item variance, which is one (inversely-proportional) measure of quality, is decreasing with time.  When I purchased my RS1i many months ago, I was able to compare two that the audio store had and there were significant differences, both in sound and in appearance.  When I compared two GS1000es before purchasing mine two days ago (which had just arrived from the factory that day), they were indistinguishable, both in sound and in looks.

Others have noted an increase in quality and decrease in variance for the GS1000e in particular (see some of the reviews on the TTVJ e-series tour thread).

Mar 8, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #1,549 of 3,605

I think their product item-to-item variance, which is one (inversely-proportional) measure of quality, is decreasing with time.  When I purchased my RS1i many months ago, I was able to compare two that the audio store had and there were significant differences, both in sound and in appearance.  When I compared two GS1000es before purchasing mine two days ago (which had just arrived from the factory that day), they were indistinguishable, both in sound and in looks.

Others have noted an increase in quality and decrease in variance for the GS1000e in particular (see some of the reviews on the TTVJ e-series tour thread).

Thanks for that.  Gives me relief to hear that.  By the way, would you have a link to that TTVJ thread by chance?
Thanks.

Mar 8, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #1,550 of 3,605
    2. The inability to provide a good case for purchase.  and   3. They seem (according to various things I hear evry so often) dificult to get service from.

To be honest, I've tried my share of "High End HP's" that come with beautiful boxes/cases and the HP's themselves are technically superior and look beautiful…but I'll take Grado's pizza box/no case/HP design over any of the HP's I've tried. I only had to send my 3yr old 325is's into Grado once, and had no issue at all with their service. I have nothing to complain about…besides its the sound of the HP's that matter the most too me, not how fancy the box/case/design/technology is, and I'm saying this from my experience, but I am a simple person also.
smile.gif

Mar 8, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #1,551 of 3,605
  To be honest, I've tried my share of "High End HP's" that come with beautiful boxes/cases and the HP's themselves are technically superior and look beautiful…but I'll take Grado's pizza box/no case/HP design over any of the HP's I've tried. I only had to send my 3yr old 325is's into Grado once, and had no issue at all with their service. I have nothing to complain about…besides its the sound of the HP's that matter the most too me, not how fancy the box/case/design/technology is, and I'm saying this from my experience, but I am a simple person also.
smile.gif

'Chuckle'  Pizza box.  That's a good point and is why I bought them.  I'd only like a solid box for protection.  Doesn't diminish the gold inside.

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #1,552 of 3,605

Thanks for that.  Gives me relief to hear that.  By the way, would you have a link to that TTVJ thread by chance?
Thanks.

Here is the link to the TTVJ Series -e Loaner program:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/724510/grado-labs-new-e-series-headphones-and-loaner-program#post_10662587

And as a bonus, here is a link to one of the GS1000e reviews that came from that program and that notes the recent improvement in build quality:  http://www.head-fi.org/products/grado-gs1000e/reviews/11424

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #1,553 of 3,605

I went to my audio dealer today, to give the PS1000e, another try and, veven though I liked the deeper base an overall smoother sound,
they were just too uncomfortable for me to just sit back and enjoy the music. The drivers were touching, and pressing against my ears.

Just so can see for yourself what I'm talking about, I asked the salesman to hold the PS1000e, while I took a pictrue.

As you can see, the driver sticks out, and the earpads have a weird appearance. Oh well !, I'll just have to keep my ''old '' PS1000.

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #1,554 of 3,605

I went to my audio dealer today, to give the PS1000e, another try and, veven though I liked the deeper base an overall smoother sound,
they were just too uncomfortable for me to just sit back and enjoy the music. The drivers were touching, and pressing against my ears.

Just so can see for yourself what I'm talking about, I asked the salesman to hold the PS1000e, while I took a pictrue.

As you can see, the driver sticks out, and the earpads have a weird appearance. Oh well !, I'll just have to keep my ''old '' PS1000.

I'm fairly certain that's to account for the bigger 50mm drivers. That said, with my noggin and ears, I felt both were equally comfortable...that's to say about adequate to good.

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #1,556 of 3,605
Had my PS1000's for a few days now ... and man ... what a change from so many of the other Grados I've owned/heard. Compared to the RS1's and GS1000's that I owned for many years, I'm very pleased to hear that the high frequencies are what I would call well extended, clean, crisp and perfectly polite and non fatiguing. As much as I loved the RS1's and the GS1000's, both of those cans had undeniable issues with certain high frequency music and could/did become quite fatiguing ... not so the PS1000's ... totally different experience in regards to high frequencies and I'm quite pleased by this. Smooth is a great description...

The bass too is pretty dramatic ... definitely related to the deep bass of the GS1000's but even  more of it; in fact, I'm thinking the Woo WA6 SE that  I'm using might end up being just too tubey/bass-y of an amplifier for the PS1000's ... the bass is GIANT LOL .,.. sweet though, and as with the highs, totally non offensive (but perhaps a touch too forward for my amp).

Overall, the headphones are quite a delight; neutral is certainly not the term I'd use to describe them but man are they colored in a hugely sexy and fun way. 

Have some Stax 007 mkii's coming in this week which will end up being my more surgical, clinical listening option and think the PS1000/Stax combination will be a really nice and appropriately juxtaposed set up ...

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #1,557 of 3,605
Had my PS1000's for a few days now ... and man ... what a change from so many of the other Grados I've owned/heard. Compared to the RS1's and GS1000's that I owned for many years, I'm very pleased to hear that the high frequencies are what I would call well extended, clean, crisp and perfectly polite and non fatiguing. As much as I loved the RS1's and the GS1000's, both of those cans had undeniable issues with certain high frequency music and could/did become quite fatiguing ... not so the PS1000's ... totally different experience in regards to high frequencies and I'm quite pleased by this. Smooth is a great description...

The bass too is pretty dramatic ... definitely related to the deep bass of the GS1000's but even  more of it; in fact, I'm thinking the Woo WA6 SE that  I'm using might end up being just too tubey/bass-y of an amplifier for the PS1000's ... the bass is GIANT LOL .,.. sweet though, and as with the highs, totally non offensive (but perhaps a touch too forward for my amp).

Overall, the headphones are quite a delight; neutral is certainly not the term I'd use to describe them but man are they colored in a hugely sexy and fun way. 

Have some Stax 007 mkii's coming in this week which will end up being my more surgical, clinical listening option and think the PS1000/Stax combination will be a really nice and appropriately juxtaposed set up ...

Several folks have praised the Woo WA6 for Grados. So glad you like the PS1000s. I love mine (listening now!), driven by my Grado HPA-1 solid state amp.

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #1,558 of 3,605

I'm thinking the Woo WA6 SE that  I'm using might end up being just too tubey/bass-y of an amplifier for the PS1000's 

+1
I used my WA6 with the PS1K's, then bought the WA6-SE for them and ended up selling the WA6-SE...buying another WA6 (for my RS-1i's) and using a SS amp for my PS1K's…IME/IMO the PS1K's benefit from a SS amp. I started with the Burson Soloist…now I'm using a HeadAmp GS-1.

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #1,560 of 3,605
  +1
I used my WA6 with the PS1K's, then bought the WA6-SE for them and ended up selling the WA6-SE...buying another WA6 (for my RS-1i's) and using a SS amp for my PS1K's…IME/IMO the PS1K's benefit from a SS amp. I started with the Burson Soloist…now I'm using a HeadAmp GS-1.

How did you like the Burson Soloist with your PS1000's? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back