PS1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #1,591 of 3,605
  Has anyone had bubbling issues with the chrome on the PS1000 cups? I have a bubble spot on mine and it is very annoying to look at

No ... none on mine either .. and that would literally ruin my entire experience with the headphones; yes, my OCD is that bad in regards to things visual.

I have noticed that he cans are extremely fragile ... my cups ever so slightly clinked together while moving them the other day and it left a tiny tiny little "ding" in one of the cups; nothing major but still visible if your looking for it. 

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,592 of 3,605

No ... none on mine either .. and that would literally ruin my entire experience with the headphones; yes, my OCD is that bad in regards to things visual.

I have noticed that he cans are extremely fragile ... my cups ever so slightly clinked together while moving them the other day and it left a tiny tiny little "ding" in one of the cups; nothing major but still visible if your looking for it. 

Take a look at my photos in my signature of my PS1K's…look at the black silicon bands I have around the diameter of the cups. Not only can I pick them up with nice grip and no finger prints,  they also protect the cups from marking should this happen. I have the same visual OCD as you do.  
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #1,593 of 3,605
I've been listening to the PS1000e's for about an hour now .. .going back and forth between them and the regular PS1000's ... and man ... I'm not sure if it's just my OCD or what but they seem like two totally different headphones to my ear ... both really outstanding, both from the same gene pool, if you will ... but completely different.

From a recent private message:

Just got the PS1000e's in too ... man are they different from the PS1000's ... at least to my OCD ear ... way more balanced than the PS1000's ... though the uptick at either frequency end is what's so sexy about the original PS1000's ... the PS1000e's have way less prominent bass too ... more natural ... still nothing one could call "neutral" but certainly closer to that than the older PS1000's ... the "e" version is certainly more what you could call "reference" sounding ... 

The  PS1Ke's are far more "reference" sounding than the PS1K's ... at first this translates in to a sense that something is missing but after extended listening, I really get what's good about that as the entire audio spectrum is way more balanced with none of the dominant/in your face bass of the original PS1K ... and none of the slightly hot (not fatiguing, though) treble of the originals.

I really like them both a lot ... and for completely different reasons ... I'll most likely write up a detailed comparison eventually; I was expecting hair splitting differences at best ... but they are indeed two totally different sounds ...

Now I just have to figure if I can afford to keep both ...

:)

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #1,594 of 3,605
  I've been listening to the PS1000e's for about an hour now .. .going back and forth between them and the regular PS1000's ... and man ... I'm not sure if it's just my OCD or what but they seem like two totally different headphones to my ear ... both really outstanding, both from the same gene pool, if you will ... but completely different.

The  PS1Ke's are far more "reference" sounding than the PS1K's ... at first this translates in to a sense that something is missing but after extended listening, I really get what's good about that as the entire audio spectrum is way more balanced with none of the dominant/in your face bass of the original PS1K ... and none of the slightly hot (not fatiguing, though) treble of the originals.

I really like them both a lot ... and for completely different reasons ... I'll most likely write up a detailed comparison eventually; I was expecting hair splitting differences at best ... but they are indeed two totally different sounds ...

Thanks for posting your comparisons of the PS1000 vs. the PS1000e. 

For nearly all of the -e series, folks seem to like the -e better than the -i or -original number before the -i, but there are two exceptions:

1. RS-1 - most folks seem to prefer the RS1i to the RS1e;
  2. PS1000 - you can find reviews here that prefer the PS1000 to the PS1000e, and you can find other reviews that prefer the PS1000e to the PS1000.

I have the PS1000 and it gets the most of my listening among all of my headphones.  I have one of each of the models made by Grado, all the way from the PS60 through the GS1000e, and even the HP1000 (Joseph Grado Signature Products).  They are distributed among the original (SR80, SR125, RS1, PS500, PS1000), the -I (SR60i, SR225i, RS1i, RS2i), and the -e (SR325e, GS1000e).  The only model for which I have two versions is the RS1, for which I have the RS1 (with wooden buttons) and the RS1i (without, but it is brighter and more transparent).

So I was sitting fat and happy in my easy chair until your post planted the seed that maybe the PS1000e is enough different from the PS1000 that I ought to consider Just One More Grado!

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #1,595 of 3,605
  So I was sitting fat and happy in my easy chair until your post planted the seed that maybe the PS1000e is enough different from the PS1000 that I ought to consider Just One More Grado!

Well my tentative thoughts not withstanding ... I can surely say one thing: they are *completely* different headphones. .. Strike that .. I can say *two* things: "And I want to keep both of them!!" ... :wink:jj ... 

Really, it's that dramatic of a difference to me .. the PS1K's are so freakishly seductive ... the highs and lows are hugely EQ'd ... but it makes for a seriously fun  listen ... the PS1Ke's are near "clinical" in comparison (at least my pair) ... they remind me of Stax headphones, actually ... *very* neutral ... very "plain laced" (in comparison to the orginal PS1K's) ... 

But I want to keep them both ... switching back and forth ... it's pretty terrible (LOL)  ... I like them both, equally ...

:wink:

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,596 of 3,605

They both are quite special...I agree with your assessments. But I prefer a more balanced approach (I do own the HD800s, LCD-X and SR-009s) as I find they are less fatiguing over time. But both are great IMO. 

Well my tentative thoughts not withstanding ... I can surely say one thing: they are *completely* different headphones. .. Strike that .. I can say *two* things: "And I want to keep both of them!!" ... :wink:jj ... 

Really, it's that dramatic of a difference to me .. the PS1K's are so freakishly seductive ... the highs and lows are hugely EQ'd ... but it makes for a seriously fun  listen ... the PS1Ke's are near "clinical" in comparison (at least my pair) ... they remind me of Stax headphones, actually ... *very* neutral ... very "plain laced" (in comparison to the orginal PS1K's) ... 

But I want to keep them both ... switching back and forth ... it's pretty terrible (LOL)  ... I like them both, equally ...

I actually found the PS1000 and PS1000e a bit more similar (they both definitely sound like Grado's). But in the end, I sold off my PS1000s and kept the "e" version and haven't looked back. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #1,598 of 3,605
  I guess that all of the people that bought the "old" PS1000 are bummed out because most people agree the newer "e" sounds better.

I don't think so. I felt the differences weren't that big and if one prefers a more "U" shaped experience, the PS1000s will fit that taste more. But if you want a new pair of headphones, it is a mute point as only the "e"'s are being sold.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #1,599 of 3,605
  I guess that all of the people that bought the "old" PS1000 are bummed out because most people agree the newer "e" sounds better.

I bought the PS1000s recently enough  that I could have gotten the PS1000es (last December).  I could not audition either.  But I looked at all info on head-fi.org and decided from the readings that I would like the more fun, less analytical PS1000s better. 

This weekend I went to a headphone meet with my PS1000s and was able to listen to the PS1000e.  Not a fair comparison, because 1) listening time was brief; 2) noise level was high; 3) PS1000e were new and not broken in (if that makes any difference).  But I remain pleased with my PS1000s.

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #1,600 of 3,605

I'm not bummed out at all, I agree with s1rrah, and M.H., both the PS1000, and the PS1000e, are great, but different sounding headphones. and I would also like to have them both.

If you'll  allow me to be very blunt, I'll say that the old PS1000 are treble biased, while the e are bass balance. This of course, doesn't mean that the has weak bass, it just has less, and the same goes for the e's treble. In my case, the e's drivers were touching my ears, so, it's mostly a comfort issue.

I don't think so. I felt the differences weren't that big and if one prefers a more "U" shaped experience, the PS1000s will fit that taste more. But if you want a new pair of headphones, it is a mute point as only the "e"'s are being sold.

I agree with you, when you say that the differences are ''not that big'', but they are still easy to hear. In the end, I say that the différences are not night and day, but they are significant enough, for the PS1000e to have a different model number, I mean letter, anyway, you know what I mean.

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #1,602 of 3,605

It might sound better, but i'm still as in love with my PS1000's as i've ever been. And considering i bought these for half their retail value, i have no reason whatsoever to be bummed out about anything :wink:

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #1,603 of 3,605
It might sound better, but i'm still as in love with my PS1000's as i've ever been. And considering i bought these for half their retail value, i have no reason whatsoever to be bummed out about anything
wink.gif

I wouldn't say they sound better .. just different ... to be honest .. the ear candy that is the original PS1000's are immediately more enjoyable of a listen to me than are the PS1000e's ... the latter being a more "clinically" accurate sort of listen ... 

It would really just depend on one's mood ... one things for sure, though ... colored or not ... the original PS1K's are pretty much the sexiest, most seductive headphone I've heard ... just haven't heard anything quite like 'em ... 

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #1,605 of 3,605
Well after much deliberation, I broke down and sold the PS1000e while holding on to the older, PS1000.  

I found the PS1Ke to be quite exceptional but a bit to "straight laced" and neutral/flat.  It is an extremely flat sounding listen (other than the traditional "grado mids," which I love in both versions) and I think certain people will prefer this but I have a lot more fun with the regular PS1K and it's exaggerated low and high frequencies.

The original PS1K is great with just about everything but music mixed really hot in the low end ... and so I've found an extremely small bit of EQ'ing at the furthest end of the bass frequency (like 1 or 2 notches down at the most) really evens that problem out and overall, I get a headphone I find far more engaging than the PS1Ke.

That said, the remaining Stax SR-007 Mk2 system I have sitting next to my dynamic rig is giving my remaining PS1K a tremendous run for it's money and so I'm clueless which I'll end up with.

Oh, the sleepless nights!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back