PS1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #1,606 of 3,605
  Well after much deliberation, I broke down and sold the PS1000e while holding on to the older, PS1000.  

I found the PS1Ke to be quite exceptional but a bit to "straight laced" and neutral/flat.  It is an extremely flat sounding listen (other than the traditional "grado mids," which I love in both versions) and I think certain people will prefer this but I have a lot more fun with the regular PS1K and it's exaggerated low and high frequencies.

The original PS1K is great with just about everything but music mixed really hot in the low end ... and so I've found an extremely small bit of EQ'ing at the furthest end of the bass frequency (like 1 or 2 notches down at the most) really evens that problem out and overall, I get a headphone I find far more engaging than the PS1Ke.

That said, the remaining Stax SR-007 Mk2 system I have sitting next to my dynamic rig is giving my remaining PS1K a tremendous run for it's money and so I'm clueless which I'll end up with.

Oh, the sleepless nights!

:wink:

YAY!  Another bright, intelligent, discriminating head-fier preferring the PS1000 to the PS1000e.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,607 of 3,605

YAY!  Another bright, intelligent, discriminating head-fier preferring the PS1000 to the PS1000e.

If you like bright and more of a "U"...then the PS1000s are the way to go...if you like "real" sounding well....
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #1,610 of 3,605
Not sure how many of you are fans of "singer songwriter" sorts of music ... but if you are, find/buy some .flacs (or the CD) of Vic Chesnutts 1995 record titled, "Is the Actor Happy" ... with the PS1000's, it's just freakishly gorgeous...

With the PS1000's (the originals) ... I like everything, really ... but depending on how the record is mastered/engineered, I might want to lower the volume a tad here or raise it a bit there to get the highs and lows just right; this is actually my habit with any of my listening gear, preferring this to using an EQ ...

But occasionally, there comes a record mixed/engineered in a way that mates *perfectly* with the PS1000's and the above mentioned Vic Chesnutt bit is once such record...  it's also just a brilliant bit of indie/singer songwriter work ... 

You can hear the whole record on Spotify ... not the best source, obviously ... but decent sounding as a heads up: https://play.spotify.com/album/1hMvSuzgDZbOmYNXAJxl3s

The very first few seconds of the 1st track has these very subtle, slide guitar "scrapings" .. not really playing anything, just lightly rubbing the glass slide over the strings ... you really have to listen for it on the CD/FLAC and can just barely hear it on the Spotify stream ... what I found interesting is this bit is almost twice as resolved on my Woo WE6/PS1000 rig as it is on my Stax 007T/007 Mk2 rig ... the latter is, admittedly, a very warm sounding Stax headphone with a very warm sounding Stax tube amp and so I'm sure it's mostly  the "hotter" high tendencies of the Grados ... but it's sort of neat having both side by side as the PS1000 rig does quite a few things better with certain recordings (while the 007 Mk2 based rig is a far more neutral/true system, sounding very much like a cross between HD650's and RS1's)

btw...

r.i.p. Vic ...

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #1,611 of 3,605
  Not sure how many of you are fans of "singer songwriter" sorts of music ... but if you are, find/buy some .flacs (or the CD) of Vic Chesnutts 1995 record titled, "Is the Actor Happy" ... with the PS1000's, it's just freakishly gorgeous...

With the PS1000's (the originals) ... I like everything, really ... but depending on how the record is mastered/engineered, I might want to lower the volume a tad here or raise it a bit there to get the highs and lows just right; this is actually my habit with any of my listening gear, preferring this to using an EQ ...

But occasionally, there comes a record mixed/engineered in a way that mates *perfectly* with the PS1000's and the above mentioned Vic Chesnutt bit is once such record...  it's also just a brilliant bit of indie/singer songwriter work ... 

You can hear the whole record on Spotify ... not the best source, obviously ... but decent sounding as a heads up: https://play.spotify.com/album/1hMvSuzgDZbOmYNXAJxl3s

The very first few seconds of the 1st track has these very subtle, slide guitar "scrapings" .. not really playing anything, just lightly rubbing the glass slide over the strings ... you really have to listen for it on the CD/FLAC and can just barely hear it on the Spotify stream ... what I found interesting is this bit is almost twice as resolved on my Woo WE6/PS1000 rig as it is on my Stax 007T/007 Mk2 rig ... the latter is, admittedly, a very warm sounding Stax headphone with a very warm sounding Stax tube amp and so I'm sure it's mostly  the "hotter" high tendencies of the Grados ... but it's sort of neat having both side by side as the PS1000 rig does quite a few things better with certain recordings (while the 007 Mk2 based rig is a far more neutral/true system, sounding very much like a cross between HD650's and RS1's)

btw...

r.i.p. Vic ...

It sounds Really Good on Beats Music, too, with GS1000es (my GS1000es were more handy than my PS1000s, but I WILL try it with them later!).

Edit 2 min later.... hooked up my PS1000s... sounds EVEN BETTER.  Yep, I agree, some source/singer/headphone combinations were made in heaven.  Vic Chesnutt "Is The Actor Happy..."  is one such beautiful mating.

Edit 4 more min later.... read your part about the light rubbing of the glass slide, playing out of my iPod Touch 5 G to my GS1000es and thought "What's he talking about... just a steel guitar in the right channel."  

Then my PS1000s, also out of the iPod... "What is that noise... a train going by?" (We live very near a railroad track).

Then got my Beyerdynamic A 200 p match-book-sized DAP (Wolfson) and amp, (low output impedance for 32 ohm headphone input, just like my Grado amps) listened Again, and heard it... actually in rapid rhythm with the music.  

Still have to try with my bigger Grado amp.

But here is a wonderful test of resolution... that sliding glass!

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #1,612 of 3,605

btw...

r.i.p. Vic ...

I listen to this kind of stuff all the time, actually listening to the Afternoon Acoustic playlist in Spotify Premium now. I don't have the PS1000s, but sounds awesome on the 500e with G cush. Will check out your suggestion now. Thx.

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #1,613 of 3,605

It sounds Really Good on Beats Music, too, with GS1000es (my GS1000es were more handy than my PS1000s, but I WILL try it with them later!).

Edit 2 min later.... hooked up my PS1000s... sounds EVEN BETTER.  Yep, I agree, some source/singer/headphone combinations were made in heaven.  Vic Chesnutt "Is The Actor Happy..."  is one such beautiful mating.

Edit 4 more min later.... read your part about the light rubbing of the glass slide, playing out of my iPod Touch 5 G to my GS1000es and thought "What's he talking about... just a steel guitar in the right channel."  

Then my PS1000s, also out of the iPod... "What is that noise... a train going by?" (We live very near a railroad track).

Then got my Beyerdynamic A 200 p match-book-sized DAP (Wolfson) and amp, (32 ohm out, just like my Grado amps) listened Again, and heard it... actually in rapid rhythm with the music.  

One review I read called it his best record ... also saying that it features "pristine production" ... and having heard a lot of folk rock records (and a lot of Vic's) .. I would have to agree ...

Versus the Spotify tracks, on the PS1000's the full quality FLACS go completely bonkers in regards to instrumentation and separation/detail ... certain of the more low key portions of certain tracks are just unbelievable. I've filed the record away as a reference album for that very reason.

Reminds me of some of Sparklehorse's better recordings ... "Dreamt for Light years in the Belly of a Mountain," for instance, which is also engineered beautifully and sounds equally good with the PS1000's. 

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #1,614 of 3,605

Then got my Beyerdynamic A 200 p match-book-sized DAP (Wolfson) and amp, (low output impedance for 32 ohm headphone input, just like my Grado amps) listened Again, and heard it... actually in rapid rhythm with the music.  

With the WE6/PS1000 ... on the FLAC, it's *very* clear ... and yeah ... sounds like a train horn (which is a "tri-tone," horn BTW) ... I know that last bit cause I actually lived in a train yard once and asked one of the conductors ... :wink: ... 

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #1,615 of 3,605
From what I have read so far, the appreciation for both PS1000s seems to be a 50/50 split. I like the fact that both camps are writing civilized comments without falling into exagerations.`I agree with M.H., when he says that the differences between the two, PS1000s, are noticable, but subtle.

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #1,616 of 3,605
So tonight I decided on throwing in my favourite opera: Carmen by Georges Bizet. And this time, instead of my SR-009s or HD800s, I went with my Grados. Something I tried a few times with the PS1000s (not "e" version) when I owned them. I've stayed away from that combination since (mostly because I have the SR-009s and HD800s here too, but nonetheless) as I found the mid bass sometimes got in the way of the music. As well, the slightly more elevated highs became fatiguing after a while. Thankfully, not the case with the PS1000e...I'm really enjoying the slightly more balanced approach here. I can then throw in some AC/DC and still get that rockin' Grado sound. Quite the "all rounder" to my ears...talk about having your cake and eating it too!

But as stacker45 said...these differences are not huge, more "noticeable, but subtle". 
redface.gif

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #1,617 of 3,605
  So tonight I decided on throwing in my favourite opera: Carmen by Georges Bizet. And this time, instead of my SR-009s or HD800s, I went with my Grados. Something I tried a few times with the PS1000s (not "e" version) when I owned them. I've stayed away from that combination since (mostly because I have the SR-009s and HD800s here too, but nonetheless) as I found the mid bass sometimes got in the way of the music. As well, the slightly more elevated highs became fatiguing after a while. Thankfully, not the case with the PS1000e...I'm really enjoying the slightly more balanced approach here. I can then throw in some AC/DC and still get that rockin' Grado sound. Quite the "all rounder" to my ears...talk about having your cake and eating it too!

But as stacker45 said...these differences are not huge, more "noticeable, but subtle". 
redface.gif

Which recording of Carmen (artist, label)?  Gotta try it.

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #1,618 of 3,605

Which recording of Carmen (artist, label)?  Gotta try it.

http://www.amazon.ca/Carmen-Georges-Bizet/dp/B0006ZFQNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427161158&sr=8-1&keywords=carmen+bizet

Sounds heavenly! 

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #1,619 of 3,605

With the WE6/PS1000 ... on the FLAC, it's *very* clear ... and yeah ... sounds like a train horn (which is a "tri-tone," horn BTW) ... I know that last bit cause I actually lived in a train yard once and asked one of the conductors ... :wink: ... 

Heard it on Beats Music, which is 320 kb/sec MP3 (probably a shade better than iTunes AAC at 256kb/sec variable bit rate).

Do you know what bit rate/ coding your Spotify used (my guess would be 256 kb/sec MP3).

Where did you get the album in FLAC?  Gotta try it (or more likely buy the CD and encode it losslessly!  Or better yet play the CD on my treasured 1970's vintage Sony D-25 discman... don't giggle... there are two or three threads on head-fi on how good the D-25 is!.)

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #1,620 of 3,605

http://www.amazon.ca/Carmen-Georges-Bizet/dp/B0006ZFQNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427161158&sr=8-1&keywords=carmen+bizet

Sounds heavenly! 

Yike... it is unintelligible and un-understandable, even with my PS1000s!  Maybe because they are not PS1000es.

Here is what the words of the first song of Carmen sounded like on that recording...

La voilà,
La voilà,
Voilà la Carmencita.

What the heck does that mean?  Something wrong in these headphones, I thought.

So I went back to my old standby, Lady Gaga, playing "Bad Romance"  to hear something much more sensible...

Rah rah ah-ah-ah!
Ro mah ro-mah-mah
Gaga ooh-la-la!

So seeing that my PS100s worked on current songs, I went back a bit more, to the '70s, to hear if a little older was harder.​
 ​
Nope!  Completely understandable:​
 ​
Sha na na na - sha na na na na
Dip dip dip dip dip dip dip dip
Mum mum mum mum mum mum
Get a job​
 ​
So why won't my PS1000s intelligibly transmit the vocals of Carmen?? 
confused.gif

Time for those PS1000es!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back