PS1000 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #1,893 of 3,605

Here is a little investigation I did of just that, a while ago:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/520884/ps1000-impressions-thread/1620#post_11463376

In short, I compared the PS500 with G CUSH (i.e., PS1000) pads to the PS1000.  PS500 without GCUSH had similar sound, except not the high frequency detail of the PS100.  It also had a smaller sound stage... putting on the G CUSH increased the sound stage toward that of the PS1000, but the instruments as heard on the PS500 still sounded closer, with discrete positions and little sound coming from spots between instruments.  With the PS1000, they were more naturally blended as you focused your attention around the sound stage.

And trying to get into the momentary spirit of this thread...

Why do seagulls fly toward the sea?

I think that with their respective earpads, the difference in high frequency extension, and soundstage size, is so great, that it makes the PS500 and PS1000 two very different sounding headphones.

Oh!, and I say that the seagulls fly toward the sea because they like fish.
Congrats on your 4000th post!

so they are all connected?

So is it better to have a very thick copper cable?

I'm a bit skeptical that, a cable that has12 coductors instead of 8 will make a difference, I mean, we're talking about 2 inch drivers, and about 1/2 watt of power, so how big a cable do we really need.

Grado started out by using 4 conductors cable, then 8, and now 12, when will this stop?.

May 10, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #1,894 of 3,605
The PS1000f will use 16 conductors cable for sure 
wink.gif

May 10, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #1,895 of 3,605
Thank's, I just noticed that myself.
Its not one solid wire, it is stranded wire.

but would it be better to use 10 seperate thin wires, or one thick "bar"?

May 10, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #1,896 of 3,605
but would it be better to use 10 seperate thin wires, or one thick "bar"?

Stranded wire is flexible, solid is not, so they couldn't use it or it would break.
Stranded wire is also a better conductor than solid wire and has a higher resistance, so the stranded wire would definitely be best. The 115v-AC in your house uses solid wire.

May 10, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #1,897 of 3,605
   Stranded wire is flexible, solid is not, so they couldn't use it or it would break.
Stranded wire is also a better conductor than solid wire and has a higher resistance, so the stranded wire would definitely be best. The 115v-AC in your house uses solid wire.

I often read stories about people complaining about their cables breaking, twisting, or they're too long, too short, some would like to have bigger cables, others want smaller cables.

I don't understand why companies in general, Grado in particular, even bother with cables. Sennheiser makes very good sounding wireless headphones. Just imagine how great it would be, not having to deal with the issues described above.

I`m going to send Grado an email, requesting that they go wireless, and I invite you guys to do the same, Hopefully, if enough of us ask for this, they`ll listen.

May 10, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #1,898 of 3,605
I often read stories about people complaining about their cables breaking, twisting, or they're to long, to short, some would like to have bigger cables, others want smaller cables.

I don't understand why companies in general, Grado in particular, even bother with cables. Sennheiser makes very good sounding wireless headphones. Just imagine how great it would be, not having to deal with the issues described above.

I`m going to send Grado an email, requesting that they go wireless, and I invite you guys to do the same, Hopefully, if enough of us ask for this, they`ll listen.

I'm not waiting for Grado. I'm taking matters into my own hands. (Note that this is the 12 conductor cable).

And why is it that stacker45 writes "to" for "too" ("to long, to short") while joseph69 writes "too" for "to?" (last line here for example: http://www.head-fi.org/t/520884/ps1000-impressions-thread/1845#post_11585460) ("too personal preference")

(Ducks, gathers up all the Grados from the table, and runs like mad two hide in the bathroom!)

May 10, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #1,899 of 3,605
I'm not waiting for Grado. I'm taking matters into my own hands. (Note that this is the 12 conductor cable).

And why is it that stacker45 writes "to" for "too" ("to long, to short") while joseph69 writes "too" for "to?" (last line here for example: http://www.head-fi.org/t/520884/ps1000-impressions-thread/1845#post_11585460) ("too personal preference")

(Ducks, gathers up all the Grados from the table, and runs like mad two hide in the bathroom!)

Good eye sir John, the correction is done.

I could kick myself for making a beginner's mistake like that. Of course, I could've hidden myself behind the fact that my native tongue if French, but the truth is, I know better, I simply wasn't paying enough attention, sorry, my bad.

Oh!, and the bathroom is the worst place to hyde from me. I have Crohn's desiese, so when I go somewhere, the bathroom is often the first place I visit.
wink.gif

May 11, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #1,903 of 3,605
  Still no response from Grado about the channel imbalance. That's great.

They usually answer within 24 hours. Your question must've caught them off guard, be patient, they simply haven't figured out what B.S answer they're going to give you.
rolleyes.gif

May 11, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #1,904 of 3,605
  Still no response from Grado about the channel imbalance. That's great.

Grado is going to tell you too send them in…so just request you want too do this (if you haven't already).

i believe joseph is correct, there isn't anything they can tell you, they are going to have to look at them

May 11, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #1,905 of 3,605

I'll have the PS1000 here later this week to do a side by side comparison to the LCD-X on my own excellent system, should be a fun shootout as the PS1000 has 100 hours on it, and the LCD-x should have as many by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back