Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Jun 10, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #722 of 3,654
Spotify + Orpheus = Head scratcher.

I just opened up Spotify for the first time in over 6 months. I can't wait until they get lossless. I will probably do a lot of my listening there when they do it as I love their music discovery features.

Why is that a head scratcher? A cable is going to still be the same cable regardless of whether i am running mp3 320kbps or flac

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #723 of 3,654
Why is that a head scratcher? A cable is going to still be the same cable regardless of whether i am running mp3 320kbps or flac
Because if you are going to purchase a $5000 cable, you clearly care about the highest fidelity at any cost. Spotify isn't consistent with that choice criteria. In fact, it may be lower quality now than Apple Music, Amazon Music, Qobuz and Tidal. I realize that Spotify is superior in ways other than SQ and is the reason why I still love Spotify, but the combination is an unusual one.

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #724 of 3,654
Because if you are going to purchase a $5000 cable, you clearly care about the highest fidelity at any cost. Spotify isn't consistent with that choice criteria. In fact, it may be lower quality now than Apple Music, Amazon Music, Qobuz and Tidal. I realize that Spotify is superior in ways other than SQ and is the reason why I still love Spotify, but the combination is an unusual one.

You must have missed the part where I said I am patiently waiting because Spotify is bringing HiFi eventually… 😃 The only other streaming app I’d use is Apple Music and lossless isn’t available on android yet anyways.

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #725 of 3,654
Interesting discussion...this is a work in progress for me and could change tomorrow, but tentatively I would say:

Mental State & Attitude – 50%
Transducers 15%
Source – 15 %
Source/transducer Synergy 10 %
File (mastering) 5%
Tips 2%
Cable 2%
File (bitrate, assuming at least 320) 1%

I've really come to appreciate how much a good source and synergy can really add to a setup.

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #726 of 3,654
In my case I could never say something like this.
5% cable, 3% tips?

In my case the difference in sound between a Spiral Dot and a Final E with any IEM is about 1000 times greater than what I notice with a cable rolling.
Hence my proviso: The above doesn't apply to all IEMs though, as I find some IEMs are less susceptible to cable/tip rolling.

I like some of the other criteria above, like synergy and mental state, although those are quite 'esoteric' and more difficult to define. I know for myself if I'm in a mood or not really clicking with the music, I switch it off and do something else. And if I'm not listening critically (just background or while working) then pretty much none of the criteria actually matter.

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #727 of 3,654
QDC Anole V14 Impressions

graph.png

Listening impressions are using the stock setting; all switches OFF. This’ll be a quick one because the V14 is more or less a VX in terms of tuning. You can read my VX review here. So what has changed then, you ask? The biggest difference would be treble to my ears. Not only does the V14 have slightly more mid-treble, but I should also point out that the V14 uses four of the Sonion EST drivers. You already know my opinion on these drivers - I don’t like them. And surprise, but I don’t like the V14’s implementation either. Whereas the VX leaned plain plasticky in the treble, the V14 has veered in the opposite direction with a jarring, metallic tactility. And for what? It neither extends further than the VX, nor does it sound particularly faster. Furthermore, I use the word jarring because the V14's coherency has taken a hit as a result.

Now, I do hear an improvement to the V14's midrange and bass transients. The V14 is more downwards-sloping in midrange transient attack if not equally as defined as the VX. In the past, I've lambasted the VX for having zero bass texture. The V14’s a substantial improvement in this regard, while maintaining that effortless extension too. In fact, I'd say this is damn good BA bass. In general, macrodynamics have seen an improvement. VX had a consistent upwards compression. Comparatively, the V14 leans somewhere more towards the middle-to-downwards skewed, particularly in the bass and midrange transients. Notes don’t come off as weightless or plasticky. But here's the catch: This juxtaposition is all the more reason for why the midrange and bass sounds "off" contrasted to the treble's sharper, slightly grating attack.

To be clear, I think this is a very good IEM. It's certainly better than any other BA/EST IEM I've heard to date and can play at the flagship level no problem. I’m sure some will even consider it to be a successor to the VX! But if you're asking me? While it improves upon a lot of my issues with the VX, it takes a step back in others. I think it’s more so a different flavor, then. And not necessarily for the better. This could've been a great IEM, but the subpar treble response mars it from greatness for me. And when you consider that the EST treble is supposed to be one of the V14's main selling points...well, you can see why I'm not quite sold.

Score: 6/10

Might bump the score up one point in the future, I'm not sure. I think the VX probably also needs a score re-work.

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #728 of 3,654
I did the on-line test of 320 vs FLAC and also ended up random. So that's fine, I accept I can't tell the difference.

With my home speaker system I'd gone the route of playing around with both speaker cables and interconnects. While I did think I was changing the sound, after many years I decided that if I had to listen so carefully to tell, most likely it was placebo effect. So with my IEMs I've used 3rd party cables more as 'insurance', 'just in case,' but haven't spent much on cables. For regular IEMs though, tips make a huge difference just due to fit and positioning of IEM in ear.

What I'm trying to figure out is I remain convinced SACD is better than regular CD. I've heard so many SACDs that are closer to live orchestras or jazz combos than CDs. But I've never A/Bd the same disc as my SACD player did not allow selecting of dual-layer tracks. So a real difference? Placebo? Or just on average much better mastering?

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #729 of 3,654
Hence my proviso: The above doesn't apply to all IEMs though, as I find some IEMs are less susceptible to cable/tip rolling.

I like some of the other criteria above, like synergy and mental state, although those are quite 'esoteric' and more difficult to define. I know for myself if I'm in a mood or not really clicking with the music, I switch it off and do something else. And if I'm not listening critically (just background or while working) then pretty much none of the criteria actually matter.
Agree with everything you say.

There are definitely IEMs that are affected more by tips rolling than others. But in my case, all the ones I have tried, at least a little I have noticed the change in sound between small bore tips and wide bore tips.

Also in my case, I have not yet been able to notice sound differences between different cables. Better for my wallet :smile:.

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #731 of 3,654
Next myth to bust is how much better the balanced output is compared to single-ended :D
I don't think it is at all? It's just an accepted standard in the audiophile community because "mommy told me I'm special"

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #733 of 3,654
Next myth to bust is how much better the balanced output is compared to single-ended :D
I can't hear any difference between 3.5mm single ended versus 4.4mm balanced out of my HiBy R5. I certainly prefer the 4.4mm connector though, simply because it's more robust. That alone will keep me sticking with 4.4mm.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #734 of 3,654
QDC Anole V14 Impressions

graph.png

Listening impressions are using the stock setting; all switches OFF. This’ll be a quick one because the V14 is more or less a VX in terms of tuning. You can read my VX review here. So what has changed then, you ask? The biggest difference would be treble to my ears. Not only does the V14 have slightly more mid-treble, but I should also point out that the V14 uses four of the Sonion EST drivers. You already know my opinion on these drivers - I don’t like them. And surprise, but I don’t like the V14’s implementation either. Whereas the VX leaned plain plasticky in the treble, the V14 has veered in the opposite direction with a jarring, metallic tactility. And for what? It neither extends further than the VX, nor does it sound particularly faster. Furthermore, I use the word jarring because the V14's coherency has taken a hit as a result.

Now, I do hear an improvement to the V14's midrange and bass transients. The V14 is more downwards-sloping in midrange transient attack if not equally as defined as the VX. In the past, I've lambasted the VX for having zero bass texture. The V14’s a substantial improvement in this regard, while maintaining that effortless extension too. In fact, I'd say this is damn good BA bass. In general, macrodynamics have seen an improvement. VX had a consistent upwards compression. Comparatively, the V14 leans somewhere more towards the middle-to-downwards skewed, particularly in the bass and midrange transients. Notes don’t come off as weightless or plasticky. But here's the catch: This juxtaposition is all the more reason for why the midrange and bass sounds "off" contrasted to the treble's sharper, slightly grating attack.

To be clear, I think this is a very good IEM. It's certainly better than any other BA/EST IEM I've heard to date and can play at the flagship level no problem. I’m sure some will even consider it to be a successor to the VX! But if you're asking me? While it improves upon a lot of my issues with the VX, it takes a step back in others. I think it’s more so a different flavor, then. And not necessarily for the better. This could've been a great IEM, but the subpar treble response mars it from greatness for me. And when you consider that the EST treble is supposed to be one of the V14's main selling points...well, you can see why I'm not quite sold.

Score: 6/10

Might bump the score up one point in the future, I'm not sure. I think the VX probably also needs a score re-work.
Have you heard the Sonion estats in… Traillii ? 😬

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #735 of 3,654
Who am I?
I'm a college student based out of the US. Currently, I work for Headphones.com writing IEM reviews. While I don't have half the experience and knowledge that many people here do, I'll be doing my best to learn!

What will I post here?
First impressions, reviews, and more. I'll be doing my best to provide my honest thoughts as I find my way in this rabbit-hole of a hobby. That being said, there's no such thing as an "unbiased" review and I encourage you to read my thoughts below if you want a less conventional perspective.

Ranking List
Personal Favorite IEMs
Squiggles

Brand Overviews

Campfire Audio
Empire Ears
Moondrop
Thieaudio
Vision Ears

"CTRL-F" TO SEARCH FOR A SPECIFIC MODEL

Rants & "Philosophy"
#1 My Thoughts on Audio Reviews
#2 Terminology and Preferences
#3 On Value, Finding Satisfaction, and When Too Much is Too Much
#4 A Pragmatic Take on Listener Bias and Subjectivity
#5 Squiggles and the "Precog" Target
#6 How I Define Imaging (and thoughts on the phenomenon)
#7 Some thoughts on lossless SQ

Directory of Reviews
64 Audio Flagship Shootout: Nio, U12t, Tia Trio, U18t, Tia Fourte
64 Audio Nio: Hybrid Dark Horse
64 Audio tia Fourte: The Dynamic Savant
64 Audio tia Trio: Flagship Enigma
64 Audio U12t: The Consummate All-Rounder
64 Audio U18s: Yin to the Yang
Apple AirPods Pro
Audeze LCDi4: When Headphone Meets IEM
Bose Quiet Comfort Earbuds: How Do They Actually Sound?
Campfire Andromeda 2020: A Refreshing Update
Campfire Ara: "Ara Ara" Indeed
Campfire Dorado & Vega 2020
Campfire Solaris 2020: Eclipsed
DUNU DK-2001/3001
DUNU Luna
DUNU SA6: A New $550 Benchmark IEM?
DUNU Zen
iBasso DX300: It's a brick, but it sounds so good
Elysian Acoustic Labs Annihilator: The Best IEM You’ve Never Heard
Empire Ears Hero: Skewed Potential
Empire Ears Odin: Laying Claim to the Throne
Empire Ears Valkyrie
Empire Ears Valkyrie MK.II: Vibrant & Valiant
Empire Ears Wraith: Flagship Fatality
Etymotic ER2XR
Etymotic ER3XR (brief comparison to ER2XR)
Fearless Audio S8 Pro
Fearless Audio S8Z & Tequila
Kilobuck Shootout: What's the Best IEM $1000 Can Buy?
Massdrop Noble X: A Tribute
Moondrop Blessing 2: Mid-Fi Paradigm Shifter
Moondrop x Crinacle Dusk: A Worthy Sucessor
Moondrop KXXS
Moondrop S8: Kilobuck Solution
Moondrop SSR
Noble Audio Kaiser Encore
Noble Audio Sultan: Sultan of What?
Periodic Audio Ti and Be: Mediocrity x Garbage
Prisma Audio Azul: When Less is More
qdc Anole VX: All In A Name
Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro: Audiophile Approved?
SeeAudio Yume: Yume Want To Hear This
Sennheiser HD800S: The Critical Take
SoftEars RSV: Hard to Love, Harder to Hate
Sony IER-Z1R: Flagship Purgatory
Sony IER-Z1R: The Hybrid Behemoth
Sony IER-M9: The Kilobuck Benchmark
Sony MH755/750: Budget IEM Endgame
Tanchjim Darling: Dichotomy
Thieaudio Legacy 3
Thieaudio Legacy 4: Bright Ideas
Thieaudio Legacy 9
Thieaudio Monarch: Cut and Dry
Unique Melody MEST: Wonky Good Fun
Vision Ears Elysium
Vision Ears Erlkonig: Nothing But Vanilla
Vision Ears VE8

Directory of Impressions
64 Audio Nio Revisted
64 Audio tia Fourte
64 Audio tia Trio
64 Audio U12t Gets Roasted
AK SE180
AK SE200
Audeze LCDi4
Audio Lokahi
Audiosense AQ7
Audiosense DT200
BGVP DM8
BGVP NS9
Blon BL-03
Campfire Andromeda & Solaris 2020
Campfire Andromeda 2019
Campfire Andromeda 2020: Revisited
Campfire Ara
Campfire Dorado & Vega 2020
Campfire Solaris OG
Drop x JVC HA FDX1
DUNU EST112
DUNU SA3 & SA6
DUNU Zen
EarFun Oluv Edition
Elysian Acoustic Labs Annihilator
Empire Ears ESR MK.II
Empire Ears Odin
Empire Ears Hero
Empire Ears Valkyrie and Wraith
Empire Ears Valkyrie MK.II
Fearless Audio S8 Pro
Fearless Audio Tequila & S8Z
Final Audio A8000
Final Audio E500
Fiio FH3
Fiio FD5
Hiby Crystal6
Hidition Viento
Hidition Violet
iBasso DX300
Ikko OH10
Jomo Audio Trinity Brass
Mangird Tea
MMR Thummim & Homunculus
Moondrop Aria
Moondrop B2: Dusk
Moondrop Illumination
Moondrop S8
Moondrop Sparks
Noble Audio Kaiser Encore
Noble Audio Sultan
Prisma Audio Azul
Sennheiser HD 800 S
Sennheiser IE 300
Sennheiser Store Round-Up July 2020
Shuoer Tape Pro
Shure KSE1500
Softears RSV
Sony IER-M9
Tanchjim Darling
Tanchjim Oxygen
Thieaudio Clairvoyance
Thieaudio Legacy 4
Thieaudio Voyager 3 (plus L3 re-visited)
Thieaudio Voyager 14
Thieaudio Monarch
Tin Audio T5
Unique Melody MEST
Vision Ears Elysium/VE8
Vision Ears Erlkonig
Vision Ears EVE20
I appreciate your reviews, I learn from every post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back