post your grado mods....
Nov 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #4,261 of 8,987
Here's where I'm at so far. Sr 80i drivers, 4 holes vented, blutak, mahogany cups cut 1000'ish style. Very pleased at this point where sound is going, but have to lose the blutak for something black (suggestions please) and I really want to go with the bowls, but have read they suck the bejesus out of an sr 80i driver. I'm an over the ear kind of guy and suspect they are infinitely more comfortable for extended listening. I'm certain it's been toyed with many times, I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a way to mod the big Grado g Cush to save the low frequency response ?

I love those cups...they from Cabillas?

Nov 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #4,262 of 8,987

Additionally, I'm currently drafting up a format for the "Non-Grado" Grado thread so we can discuss the driver alternatives as opposed to using this thread that tends to focus more on the Grado mods, but not necessarily the use of non-Grado drivers.  I will continue to create the content of the post off-line to include a fair number of links, setc.  I will not post it until I feel that the content in the first post will be quite sufficient to be of some good value to the forum.

Sounds good.

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #4,263 of 8,987
So I was on headphile.com earlier last week and saw on the deals page he has a pair of PS-1000s without the drivers for $475. Looks as though he was able to remove the drivers without damaging the wood sleeves (I've had success doing this myself). So anyway....I shot Grado an email asking if they'd put drivers back in them. They will....for $200.

Should I send them to Grado or put magnums in them?

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #4,264 of 8,987
Magnum X? I would go with Grado personally...that's a rather nice pair for half of retail...

Reality check though, I have never heard a pair of PS1000, I have heard the Magnum X. I guess I might say something else if I actually heard the PS1000 :)

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #4,266 of 8,987
  Magnum X? I would go with Grado personally...that's a rather nice pair for half of retail...

Reality check though, I have never heard a pair of PS1000, I have heard the Magnum X. I guess I might say something else if I actually heard the PS1000 :)

Yes.  The more "authentic" those PS-1000s are, the better they'll hold their value.  Basically, any headphone that's modified can't usually command a good purchase price as what may have sounded good to you, might not be how someone else will perceive them. But, if a buyer has heard the Grado PS-1000 and loves them, this is where the pricing comes into play.  

I had the PS-500 and they are considered the lil' brother of the PS-1000.  The 500s had a whole different sound signature than my RS1i.  Darker, a bit less detail in the upper frequencies, etc.  I'm not sure how the 1000 varies, though, as I've never heard it.  

But, if I came across another GS-1000, (not the "i"), I know I'd be all over it.  Not a bass-heavy headphone ... but I'll agree with all the reviews, the soundstage is the widest out of almost any other Grado and many other headphones.

Hmmm ... I wonder if I purchased a pair of mahogany mushroom cups from Cabillas and then mounted a Grado headband, and gimbals on the cups, would Grado install a pair of "true" GS-1000 drivers in them?  Not that I'm looking to take advantage of something, but I think it truly would be worth it.  Or, if I sent them a pair of SR-80s (not my pinks) if they would upgrade them to the GS-1000 drivers?  I'd hope on that in a second!

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #4,267 of 8,987
Yep. Cabilla's mahogany. Beautifully milled. Might still hit them with a few more coats of laquer down the road, but very pleased with them. They had some downtime for a bit due to a cracked gimbal, and living in the proverbial middle of nowhere I'd just like to point out that 1 email and 4 days later a couple new gimbals showed up at my door, no cost. Kudos to Grado!!!!, once again providing wonderful customer service and satisfaction. I wonder if I would get that kind of treatment with some if the larger brands?

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #4,268 of 8,987
I think I'll just have them bring them back to original and enjoy them in stock form. Pretty nuts someone paid for PS1000s just to send them into headphile. I'd like to see what those drivers are going into considering they didn't keep anything else from them.

Whether Grado would upgrade a pair to better drivers I'm not sure. They'd probably have a lot of people sending them in just so they could extract them. Not much different than just selling the drivers. Although...they might if you 'sweet talk' them. Obviously they can if they want to.

Anyway...my girlfriend is pretty mad at me right now. She says I waste too much money on headphones. I respectively disagree.
beyersmile.png

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #4,269 of 8,987
Yep. Cabilla's mahogany. Beautifully milled. Might still hit them with a few more coats of laquer down the road, but very pleased with them. They had some downtime for a bit due to a cracked gimbal, and living in the proverbial middle of nowhere I'd just like to point out that 1 email and 4 days later a couple new gimbals showed up at my door, no cost. Kudos to Grado!!!!, once again providing wonderful customer service and satisfaction. I wonder if I would get that kind of treatment with some if the larger brands?

That's good to hear.  Grado has been great to take care of their customers.  I've had a few gimbals replaced like that in the past, too.  Sadly, my SR-80s (pink mesh) headphones have a slight crack in a gimbal where the silver rod connects to the plastic.  However, I might be a bit of a stickler and ask if they have some without the little circular protrusion like the newer gimbals have.

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #4,270 of 8,987
Yes.  The more "authentic" those PS-1000s are, the better they'll hold their value.  Basically, any headphone that's modified can't usually command a good purchase price as what may have sounded good to you, might not be how someone else will perceive them. But, if a buyer has heard the Grado PS-1000 and loves them, this is where the pricing comes into play.  

I had the PS-500 and they are considered the lil' brother of the PS-1000.  The 500s had a whole different sound signature than my RS1i.  Darker, a bit less detail in the upper frequencies, etc.  I'm not sure how the 1000 varies, though, as I've never heard it.  

But, if I came across another GS-1000, (not the "i"), I know I'd be all over it.  Not a bass-heavy headphone ... but I'll agree with all the reviews, the soundstage is the widest out of almost any other Grado and many other headphones.

Hmmm ... I wonder if I purchased a pair of mahogany mushroom cups from Cabillas and then mounted a Grado headband, and gimbals on the cups, would Grado install a pair of "true" GS-1000 drivers in them?  Not that I'm looking to take advantage of something, but I think it truly would be worth it.  Or, if I sent them a pair of SR-80s (not my pinks) if they would upgrade them to the GS-1000 drivers?  I'd hope on that in a second!

I think the PS-1000 sounds wonderful. Very nice bass, mids, and treble.

I have a set of Larry's (headphile) Vixen V3 on loan from a friend. They have PS-1000 drivers. Beautiful craftsmanship, very light weight, and the sound is top tier. This Headphone is one of my top 3 favorites: HE-6, Vixen V3, LCD2.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #4,271 of 8,987
I think the PS-1000 sounds wonderful. Very nice bass, mids, and treble.

I have a set of Larry's (headphile) Vixen V3 on loan from a friend. They have PS-1000 drivers. Beautiful craftsmanship, very light weight, and the sound is top tier. This Headphone is one of my top 3 favorites: HE-6, Vixen V3, LCD2.

I need friends like that.

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #4,274 of 8,987

I need friends like that.

Easy. Just follow the two quotes in my signature... especially the second one.  
beerchug.gif

you lucky dog/monkey :D

given these top tier options to sample from, which would you choose for a particular kind of music?

~ enjoy! ~

I prefer "straight-ahead" jazz, jazz vocals, alternative rock, classic rock, classical, and chill. I like all three headphones for all types of music I prefer.

Modified T50RP is in my top 6 favorite headphones along with HE-6, LCD2, Vixen V3, PS-1000, and HD-800. The Russian made vintage orthos by Amfiton, vintage Yamahas (modified), and vintage Fostex (modified) also sound great. You can see that I prefer orthos. That's why I was particularly surprised by beautiful sound quality from Larry's Vixen V3 and Grado's PS-1000.

Think I need a set of new friends too!!!!

Ditto, above.

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #4,275 of 8,987
Go for the PS1K drives man :D you'll get a pair pf PS1K's for $675, hell of a deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back