post your grado mods....
Nov 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #4,276 of 8,992
Think I need a set of new friends too!!!!

We're all friends of you here.  While we won't necessarily loan out headphones to you, we will periodically share ideas for you to make your headphone experience a better one.  We'll direct you to cups, drivers, pads, headbands, etc. that will eventually save you a few bucks as well as get the most bang for the buck.

Disclaimer: For those who go overboard, and spend money for the headphone addiction beyond their normal means, we are not responsible for those actions committed by said individuals.

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #4,277 of 8,992
This is in no way a slight to GRADO, the fact they sent me 2 gimbals pronto, no cost, is stellar in my books. I do have to point out that the rods are mounted into the gimbals at different angles. One is about 20 degrees, one is about 6. Hmmm..... It doesn't appear to cause any great discomfort, and I'm not being ungrateful, but sort of... Kind of... A build quality issue. I'm guessing it happens and easily rectified with another email. The goal is to build my own aluminum gimbals anyhow. I've seen some real beauties out there. A bit pricy though.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #4,278 of 8,992
This is in no way a slight to GRADO, the fact they sent me 2 gimbals pronto, no cost, is stellar in my books. I do have to point out that the rods are mounted into the gimbals at different angles. One is about 20 degrees, one is about 6. Hmmm..... It doesn't appear to cause any great discomfort, and I'm not being ungrateful, but sort of... Kind of... A build quality issue. I'm guessing it happens and easily rectified with another email. The goal is to build my own aluminum gimbals anyhow. I've seen some real beauties out there. A bit pricy though.

Good point.  Does it look like the gimbals were molded that way onto the silver rod?  Or, do you think the issue happened during shipping?

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #4,280 of 8,992
I'd be interested in designing and manufacturing gimbals and headbands for grados. I wouldn't want to just do a shiny knockoff of a hp1000 though.

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #4,281 of 8,992
Gimbal/headband assemblies are like gold...if you could fabricate something (even a simple frame minus the leather part) you would have at least one sale to me...

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #4,285 of 8,992
Taking notes. What else would the ideal headband and gimbals have? Unless I have a large quantity made they will cost a lot.

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #4,286 of 8,992
If simpler is easier to make en-masse and drive costs down, I would be happy without rodblocks. A certain gentleman out there on the interwebs charges about $100 for a pair. Would be nice to come in somewhere below that if possible.

I was actually wondering if it isn't easier to make the RS1 style gimble (with a complete ring and a cut-out for the cable) instead of trying to imitate the plastic "C" on the SR series...been thinking of hitting the hardware store and looking for a suitable metal pipe of the appropriate diameter and simply having slices cut off the end to work with...(insert pun about "pipe dreams" here).

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #4,287 of 8,992
Fleadbaby, I did mine like that. 1/4" wall aluminum pipe with correct inside diameter for my cups. Chopped rings out with a heavy duty metal chop saw, drilled holes with the drill press, sandpaper polished the rough pipe and had the rings powdercoated black. Used 1/8" stainless rod for the rods and gimbles, tapped and die the rung and rod to 6/32 thread pitch.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #4,288 of 8,992
Nice...it can be done :D

A trip to Home Depot might be on the cards soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back