post your grado mods....
Nov 13, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #4,306 of 8,992
They are fantastic like that...I have used their help several times. Always fast and definitely worth it.

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #4,307 of 8,992
Obviously I'm in for a pair of those sweet aluminum's as well. Have you given any thought to just producing the ring with properly drilled holes for the plastic GRADO pins and rod? I'd go for that in a heart beat. We cannabalize the GRADO gimbal for its pins and rod, put them into your aluminum gimbal. No fuss no muss and maybe you could keep the cost down.

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #4,308 of 8,992
Reinventing the Grado headband is a great idea.  But, I think something awfully nice and available now is also a great alternative.  With the band, the cups don't swivel around so that the cable gets all twisted and kinked.

Sony 7506 Headband:

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #4,310 of 8,992
L
Reinventing the Grado headband is a great idea.  But, I think something awfully nice and available now is also a great alternative.  With the band, the cups don't swivel around so that the cable gets all twisted and kinked.

Sony 7506 Headband:

LOL you're right...I keep forgetting about that Sony band...

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #4,311 of 8,992

Sony 7506 Headband:

Between your drivers, 7 keys cups, and my headband I think we'll have a new class of headphone
beerchug.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #4,312 of 8,992
  Does anyone know if there's a difference in the drivers in the GS-1000 and the PS-1000?

Keith,

I suspect a difference, based on the following:

The GS-1000 (not the "i" model) has about the widest sound stage that you'd hear from any headphone.  The newer "i" version doesn't have a sound stage nearly as wide. I've only read the comparison between the two versions, and that seems to be the basic notation in the review.   I've owned the GS-1000 and the sound stage is W-I-D-E.  Never heard such a headphone like it.

The PS-1000, from my readings has been a great headphone, but I've never come across a review comparing the non-"i" GS-1000 and the PS-1000.  Also, I've never really gotten the feeling that the sound stage in the PS-1000 is nearly as wide, but can't fully back that statement up, as I have never owned them - just heard them on one occasion.  Visually, I'm sure it would be a bit hard to note the difference between the two drivers just by seeing them visually.

Also, the PS-500 and PS-1000 ... and, quite possibly, the GS-1000i have some of the holes opened up on the rear of the drivers to have more bass presented.  I keep on getting frustrated that I didn't bookmark the web page or site where I read about the open holes on these higher models.

Again, though, I feel that a bit of my comments could be speculation as I've heard a bit more than half of the headphones discussed, but have read through many reviews.  If another member has more experience between the two, PS-1000 and GS-1000 or GS-1000i, I think it would be great to read the impressions.  Finally, I think where Grado makes the variations in their drivers happen is with magnet size (weight) and driver doping.  I've read this on more than one occasion.

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #4,313 of 8,992

Keith,

I suspect a difference, based on the following:

The GS-1000 (not the "i" model) has about the widest sound stage that you'd hear from any headphone.  The newer "i" version doesn't have a sound stage nearly as wide. I've only read the comparison between the two versions, and that seems to be the basic notation in the review.   I've owned the GS-1000 and the sound stage is W-I-D-E.  Never heard such a headphone like it.

The PS-1000, from my readings has been a great headphone, but I've never come across a review comparing the non-"i" GS-1000 and the PS-1000.  Also, I've never really gotten the feeling that the sound stage in the PS-1000 is nearly as wide, but can't fully back that statement up, as I have never owned them - just heard them on one occasion.  Visually, I'm sure it would be a bit hard to note the difference between the two drivers just by seeing them visually.

Also, the PS-500 and PS-1000 ... and, quite possibly, the GS-1000i have some of the holes opened up on the rear of the drivers to have more bass presented.  I keep on getting frustrated that I didn't bookmark the web page or site where I read about the open holes on these higher models.

Again, though, I feel that a bit of my comments could be speculation as I've heard a bit more than half of the headphones discussed, but have read through many reviews.  If another member has more experience between the two, PS-1000 and GS-1000 or GS-1000i, I think it would be great to read the impressions.  Finally, I think where Grado makes the variations in their drivers happen is with magnet size (weight) and driver doping.  I've read this on more than one occasion.

Wayne,

Once, again, you come through with the goods! Many thanks.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #4,314 of 8,992
Still have some hardware to pick out. Was going to go all out and over design it with many machining operations, etc....and then realized I could do something cool almost entirely out of sheet metal. So I went in the sheet metal direction. Since everything can be water jetted, burned, or lasered it shouldn't cost much more than the cost of the metal itself. Need to find some cool aluminum thumbscrews and a few other odds and ends. Anyway, below is a design I modeled up tonight. Any feedback / suggestions are appreciated.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #4,315 of 8,992
I love the look! So whats the estimate?!

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #4,316 of 8,992
I'll have to get it out for quote once I get drawings done. Seriously doubt I'd ever want to start selling these things for a profit, but in case I ever did want to.....I don't think I'll post the actual cost in a thread. I'll work out the cost with each of you through a private message once I'm ready to get them manufactured.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #4,317 of 8,992
Still have some hardware to pick out. Was going to go all out and over design it with many machining operations, etc....and then realized I could do something cool almost entirely out of sheet metal. So I went in the sheet metal direction. Since everything can be water jetted, burned, or lasered it shouldn't cost much more than the cost of the metal itself. Need to find some cool aluminum thumbscrews and a few other odds and ends. Anyway, below is a design I modeled up tonight. Any feedback / suggestions are appreciated.

You sir, have just changed the game. These are phenomenal and in my opinion should be the base for any modder building a grado/magnum. Now all we need is leather covered g/l cush pads. I really really want to be one of the first in line for this headband! VERY GLAD I decided to keep my build.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #4,318 of 8,992
So quick question. Obviously the top is sheet metal. Will the piece under be the standard grado "leather" band? As in, did you create these to accept that size regular headband?

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #4,319 of 8,992

My thought is to make a headband similar to the mad dogs....sort of a "suspension" type head band. A screw (or two) around the location of the arrow would go through the leather and into a threaded hole(s) in the metal band. I find the mad dog head band to be really comfortable and very simple. Any piece of leather that's the correct length would work.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #4,320 of 8,992
That was my second thought, and I believe would be great for this style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back