post your grado mods....
May 27, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #8,267 of 8,987
Hi,
Where did you buy cups?
The drivers are very efficient, with which amp do you drive them?
He noted that the cups are from Rholuplat but they are also available at times from Turbulent Labs
The R1 driver is fairly efficient and don't really need an amp but I do use either the headphone output of my Teac UD-301, Project Ember or Lyr2 when listening in my living room, in my bedroom I use a Asgard2 or headphone output of my Sony HT receiver and if I'm traveling then a Fiio X3 or X3ii work great for me.

May 27, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #8,268 of 8,987
Hi,
Where did you buy cups?
The drivers are very efficient, with which amp do you drive them?

As DavidA mentioned, the cups are striped rosewood and purchased from www.rholupat.com. I've made several purchases from there and have always had excellent service.

I use an objective2 amp. The current owner has a more dedicated set up but I couldn't tell you what he has.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #8,271 of 8,987
Has anyone ever done a Grado mod to keep the cups from being able to spin endlessly? I like very much that they can lay flat, but those poor cables seem to scream for their lives when things get twisted around one too many times...

May 31, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #8,272 of 8,987
Has anyone ever done a Grado mod to keep the cups from being able to spin endlessly? I like very much that they can lay flat, but those poor cables seem to scream for their lives when things get twisted around one too many times...

Single side cable mods will do this. The cable running from one cup over the headband and into the second cup will act to limit the amount of rotation (be sure to use some kind of strain relief on both ends of the headband cable).

I've used shaft collars like these;

The grub screw on the collar protrudes slightly and is stopped from completing a revolution by the headband.

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #8,274 of 8,987
You might want to consider a mdr 7506 headband or the other mdr headband that some modder use in place of a Grado style headband

Damn @wormsdriver, was on my phone so you beat me to the mdr-7506 headband. Do you know what is the other sony MDR headband that some modders use?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #8,275 of 8,987
You might want to consider a mdr 7506 headband or the other mdr headband that some modder use in place of a Grado style headband

Damn @wormsdriver, was on my phone so you beat me to the mdr-7506 headband. Do you know what is the other sony MDR headband that some modders use?

I use the 7502 headband often BUT, the diameter is a little bit smaller than a standard Grado cup and the 7506 cup. I have to custom turn my cups a little narrower to accommodate this.

The benefits: the 7502 headband is lightweight, comfortable, simply designed, practically indestructible and with a light pair of cups makes for a great portable build you can take anywhere without worrying something will break in a messenger bag, etc...

Jun 1, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #8,276 of 8,987

Haha. I remember using another Sony model headband on a previous Magnum build, but don't recall which model it was. I'll see if I can find that info

Jun 2, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #8,277 of 8,987
Great thread!

I have SR80i's and plan to mod, but looking through these sea of posts, I am not sure where to start.

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #8,278 of 8,987
Great thread!

I have SR80i's and plan to mod, but looking through these sea of posts, I am not sure where to start.

ive done some easy to do mods in my sr60e and so far the hole venting and dampening the inside of the cups with some high density foam are the best in upgrading the sound, ive tried dampening the driver with blu tack but i didnt like how it sounded, yes it sounds more tigther but thinner, and didnt also fixed the sibilance anyway so ive removed it. last thing you want to do is liberating the drivers and replace the whole cup with wooden ones. also try using l-cush. best pads for the prestige series imho.

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #8,279 of 8,987
ive done some easy to do mods in my sr60e and so far the hole venting and dampening the inside of the cups with some high density foam are the best in upgrading the sound, ive tried dampening the driver with blu tack but i didnt like how it sounded, yes it sounds more tigther but thinner, and didnt also fixed the sibilance anyway so ive removed it. last thing you want to do is liberating the drivers and replace the whole cup with wooden ones. also try using l-cush. best pads for the prestige series imho.

Do the l-cush change the sound and if so, how? The hole in the l-cush should solve an issue I have with the stock pads. Extended use causes my right ear to hurt. Combo of my alien ears and wearing glasses..... I don't want the Grados to become brighter.

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #8,280 of 8,987
Do the l-cush change the sound and if so, how? The hole in the l-cush should solve an issue I have with the stock pads. Extended use causes my right ear to hurt. Combo of my alien ears and wearing glasses..... I don't want the Grados to become brighter.

the l-cush doesnt makes the grados brighter. instead it reduces the mids 2k peak, gives a cleaner bass response and somewhat better imaging also adds a lil bit of sound stage but still relatively narrow. about the comfort tho. its terrible, but after weeks of use Ive my ears manage to adapt to it, but I still have my limit for about 5 hrs of use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back