post your grado mods....
Mar 26, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #6,995 of 8,992
so earlier today I received a pair of ps500. While I think they do sound very good, I find them just a bit too boomy for my taste. I did notice that the Grado highs and mids are still there, just a bit over shadowed by the boomy bass though. 

I put on a pair of G-cush on them and while the sound improved quite a bit the bass was still a bit too much for me.

Holding up the cups up to the light I could see that there is four holes punched in the stock configuration so I decided to cover up two of them...

WARNING: NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!...

[COLOR=22229C]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=22229C]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=22229C]
[/COLOR]

I was able to hear them side by side briefly next to the PS1000 before coming to work and I'm very pleased with the initial results. I thought they sounded VERY close to the PS1000, although not quite there. They still need the heavier cups to get even closer in sound...

You sir, are truly a pioneer.

so earlier today I received a pair of ps500. While I think they do sound very good, I find them just a bit too boomy for my taste. I did notice that the Grado highs and mids are still there, just a bit over shadowed by the boomy bass though. 

I put on a pair of G-cush on them and while the sound improved quite a bit the bass was still a bit too much for me.

Holding up the cups up to the light I could see that there is four holes punched in the stock configuration so I decided to cover up two of them...

WARNING: NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!...

I was able to hear them side by side briefly next to the PS1000 before coming to work and I'm very pleased with the initial results. I thought they sounded VERY close to the PS1000, although not quite there. They still need the heavier cups to get even closer in sound...

This man lives on the edge!

Ps- sorry for the super long quote, I'm on a cell phone

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #7,002 of 8,992
So, is the general concensus that the cups are more important than the driver?

Is there some synergy involved such that certain driver/cup combinations pair better than others?

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #7,003 of 8,992

Is there some synergy involved such that certain driver/cup combinations pair better than others?

Magnum V6 is great with wood cups
http://www.head-fi.org/products/symphones-magnums/reviews

PX100ii drivers pair up great in a wood cup.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-grado-hybrid-a-k-a-senngrado/reviews

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #7,005 of 8,992

I think it depends in the driver itself and also the wood used. Each kind of wood has different sound character. Also, cable will give significant effect to sound.

I think they help there since the comfy pads muffle the sound a bit.

Is it because Gpad n lcush has inside hole which is will impact in airy and open sound, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back