post your grado mods....
Mar 21, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #6,976 of 8,992
Ok so I could use an opinion, I am considering some wood cups for my sr225, question is, just how much of a difference do wood cups really make, I have heard everything from a ton of difference to the fact that if a hardwood is used, it really does not differ much from the plastic cups and it won't really be noticeable. I don't want to invest another $80 on a pair of headphones that cost me $100 used only to find out there really is not a difference. I don't mean to open a can of worms, just a couple of experiences. The wood cups I am considering are a hard wood.

Thanks,
James

What about your Denon D2000, did they sound better in Maple cups or plastic?

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #6,977 of 8,992

Well, unfortunately, I purchased them with the wood cups installed and the plastic ones came with it. Now that I look back, when I was restoring the wood cups, I could have installed the plastic cups to see what the difference was..... Alas, I did not do that. So I still don't know. Good thought though 7keys, wish I would have thought of that at the time.

James

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #6,978 of 8,992

Well, unfortunately, I purchased them with the wood cups installed and the plastic ones came with it. Now that I look back, when I was restoring the wood cups, I could have installed the plastic cups to see what the difference was..... Alas, I did not do that. So I still don't know. Good thought though 7keys, wish I would have thought of that at the time.

James

Dis you ever read this thread?   
http://www.head-fi.org/t/686212/the-great-grado-experiment-4-tonewoods-tested-more-to-come

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #6,979 of 8,992
7keys, Pretty good read, I went straight to the Maple, which I assume would be similar in regards to a hard wood like the Lignum Vitae wood cups I am considering, and it sounds like they are not too favorable for mids(vocals) as this is the type of music I listen to the majority of the time. Perhaps I should be looking for walnut cups, which the review stated brought out the mids and treble the best. Thanks so much for that link, it pretty much answered my question. I know you have a lot of experience with wood cups, do you feel I have come to a correct conclusion?

Thanks,
James

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #6,980 of 8,992
7keys, Pretty good read, I went straight to the Maple, which I assume would be similar in regards to a hard wood like the Lignum Vitae wood cups I am considering, and it sounds like they are not too favorable for mids(vocals) as this is the type of music I listen to the majority of the time. Perhaps I should be looking for walnut cups, which the review stated brought out the mids and treble the best. Thanks so much for that link, it pretty much answered my question. I know you have a lot of experience with wood cups, do you feel I have come to a correct conclusion?

Thanks,
James

That was soft Maple, Lignum Vitae is much harder on the janka hardness scale.

Lignum Vitae 3710
 Hard maple 1450
Soft Maple 950
Red Cedar 350

The Janka hardness test measures the resistance of a sample of wood to denting and wear. It measures the force required to embed an (.444 in) steel ball into wood to half the ball's diameter.

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #6,981 of 8,992
That was soft Maple, Lignum Vitae is much harder on the janka hardness scale.

Lignum Vitae 3710
 Hard maple 1450

Soft Maple 950
Red Cedar 350

The Janka hardness test measures the resistance of a sample of wood to denting and wear. It measures the force required to embed an (.444 in) steel ball into wood to half the ball's diameter.

So what kind of sound should I expect from the Lignum Vitae? I did like the way they rated everything in that thread you linked, it was very helpful.
Thanks,
James

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #6,982 of 8,992

So what kind of sound should I expect from the Lignum Vitae? I did like the way they rated everything in that thread you linked, it was very helpful.
Thanks,
James

I never tried Lignum Vitae. We were going to have a round two with exotic wood but never got a round to it. 
Fleasbaby seemed to like his, maybe he could chime in. 

Someone just gave me a round to it. I better start round two.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #6,983 of 8,992
I never tried Lignum Vitae. We were going to have a round two with exotic wood but never got a round to it. 
Fleasbaby seemed to like his, maybe he could chime in. 

Someone just gave me a round to it. I better start round two.

The Lignum sounds way better than Maple in my experience. The soft Maple was aenemic, the Lignum isn't.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #6,984 of 8,992
I am awaiting a pair of wood cups for my 225's. I already have the drivers liberated from the plastic cup, but obviously I will need to unsolder the connections and then re-solder. I don't have any solder at the moment and I am about to order some sold wick to remove the solder. Is there a specific type of solder I need to purchase? And recommendations. I have never soldered electronics, only slot car engines!! A looooong time ago, so I am would appreciate any tips.

James

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #6,985 of 8,992
I am awaiting a pair of wood cups for my 225's. I already have the drivers liberated from the plastic cup, but obviously I will need to unsolder the connections and then re-solder. I don't have any solder at the moment and I am about to order some sold wick to remove the solder. Is there a specific type of solder I need to purchase? And recommendations. I have never soldered electronics, only slot car engines!! A looooong time ago, so I am would appreciate any tips.

James
Hi James
With the grado drivers you will find that you will need to do the soldering pretty quickly at a high temp.
I used a soldering pump which would suck the solder of the tab as soon as it was hot enough to move .
There are tiny little wires hidden and if to much heat is used for to long a period will become disconnected.
I always tend to use cardas solder as I'm used to that and it also makes a lovely connection.
I hope this helps :grinning:

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #6,986 of 8,992
so earlier today I received a pair of ps500. While I think they do sound very good, I find them just a bit too boomy for my taste. I did notice that the Grado highs and mids are still there, just a bit over shadowed by the boomy bass though. 

I put on a pair of G-cush on them and while the sound improved quite a bit the bass was still a bit too much for me.

Holding up the cups up to the light I could see that there is four holes punched in the stock configuration so I decided to cover up two of them...

WARNING: NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!...

I was able to hear them side by side briefly next to the PS1000 before coming to work and I'm very pleased with the initial results. I thought they sounded VERY close to the PS1000, although not quite there. They still need the heavier cups to get even closer in sound...

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #6,987 of 8,992
so earlier today I received a pair of ps500. While I think they do sound very good, I find them just a bit too boomy for my taste. I did notice that the Grado highs and mids are still there, just a bit over shadowed by the boomy bass though. 

I put on a pair of G-cush on them and while the sound improved quite a bit the bass was still a bit too much for me.

Holding up the cups up to the light I could see that there is four holes punched in the stock configuration so I decided to cover up two of them...

[COLOR=22229C]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=22229C]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=22229C]
[/COLOR]

I was able to hear them side by side briefly next to the PS1000 before coming to work and I'm very pleased with the initial results. I thought they sounded VERY close to the PS1000, although not quite there. They still need the heavier cups to get even closer in sound...

You sir, are truly a pioneer.

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #6,988 of 8,992

This man lives on the edge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back