post your grado mods....
Apr 8, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #7,022 of 8,992

In search for a lathe. Any suggestions for when I don't have a friend with one?

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #7,024 of 8,992

In search for a lathe. Any suggestions for when I don't have a friend with one?

I use one of these. Works beautifully. Keep aside some cash for a decent chuck, and later a drill attachment so you can use forester bits to do the interiors of your cups consistently.
If you're on a budget try a drill powered lathe kit. They should be plenty good enough for cups.

Never tried one of those, but was warned off them by the guy who taught me how to use mine. Said they were bad news. That said, I did start without a lathe, and used a drill press, files, hole saws and sandpaper. Got some nice results...

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #7,025 of 8,992
I use one of these. Works beautifully. Keep aside some cash for a decent chuck, and later a drill attachment so you can use forester bits to do the interiors of your cups consistently.

Never tried one of those, but was warned off them by the guy who taught me how to use mine. Said they were bad news. That said, I did start without a lathe, and used a drill press, files, hole saws and sandpaper. Got some nice results...

Yeah I used just hole saw bits to get these:

For the final sand and bevel my makeshift lathe was a hole saw bit and some duct tape...

Shut up, it worked!!

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #7,027 of 8,992
Yeah I used just hole saw bits to get these:

For the final sand and bevel my makeshift lathe was a hole saw bit and some duct tape...

Shut up, it worked!!

I basically mounted my rough shapes on a bolt, secured them with nuts, and then shoved the end of the bolt into my drill-press. Then I turned it on and had at them with files and sandpaper. Worked well, but took time, and there were some issues with getting non-circular shapes if I pushed too hard with the files. But yep, it worked. Nothing to scoff at. I made some great cups that way.

When you get a lathe, you won't look back...:)

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #7,028 of 8,992
I have a chance to get a good deal on a pair of RS1e cups/drivers/cable but need the headband/gimbal.

Emailing Grado was not a fun time...

Any ideas for a replacement? 

Thanks!

Paul

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #7,029 of 8,992
  I have a chance to get a good deal on a pair of RS1e cups/drivers/cable but need the headband/gimbal.

Emailing Grado was not a fun time...

Any ideas for a replacement? 

Thanks!

Paul

...these guys do a fancy replacement:

http://www.ellevenacoustica.com/products

You can also use the Sony MDR-7506 headband with a little modifying:

http://www.trewaudio.com/product/sony-7506-hdbandcup/

There's also these guys....they make aluminum gimbals, but you'll probably need to figure out a leather headband and spring steel to go with them:

https://www.facebook.com/Gamja.Labs/

Personally, I would hunt for some second hand SR60 on eBay and use that, perhaps upgrading the vinyl pad to a leather one later.

Out of curiosity, are these the RS!e with the protruding drivers, or the flush seated drivers?

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #7,031 of 8,992
Thanks for the fast reply. I tried my RS60 headset with them but they did not really line up properly.

I will have to check the flushness of the driver tomorrow when I go to my friends house to pick them up.

Is there an issue to be concerned about or is it just about fit?

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #7,032 of 8,992
  Thanks for the fast reply. I tried my RS60 headset with them but they did not really line up properly.

I will have to check the flushness of the driver tomorrow when I go to my friends house to pick them up.

Is there an issue to be concerned about or is it just about fit?

No worries. Just enjoying a rare, rainy afternoon in So-Cal listening to music and doing some work from home :)...

Odd the SR60 didn't line up. The diameter, as far as I have seen it, should be the same. Folks generally seem to prefer the flush-fit version. The protruding version had comfort issues, and a few reports of not sounding as good as the flush-fit. This is probably because of the distance from ear to driver. I had a pair of RS1e with protruding drivers for a little while. Wasn't too excited about them, but I haven't had a pair of RS1 or RS1i to compare them to, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt...

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #7,034 of 8,992
I'm putting together my first set of woodies made from a 225, when connecting the wires back on the driver, do I need any kind of special solder?

Thanks,
James

Nope...

What cups did you end up with btw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back