post your grado mods....
Jan 28, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #6,016 of 8,987

I'm going to explain how I achieved the blue line measurement on my SR80i. Green line is with the comfy pads.

Disassemble your grado's using a hair dryer. Punch two holes in the driver (punch mod). Replace the grill or remove the button if possible. Perform the quarter mod (but with an internal diameter of 43mm) on the comfy pads. Cut two pieces of memory foam (from a pillow or matress topper), internal diameter 19mm, external diameter 43mm, depth 15mm.

:o2smile:

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #6,019 of 8,987

The part that's glued is stronger than the wood it's self.

I hope you can send them off today.

I put a 125i in the cherry cups and compared them with a stock 125e. The cherry 125i had better attack and decay and soundstage than the stock 125e.

They are ready but I'll have to ship them in the morning.

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #6,020 of 8,987

Nice work.
That's a really nice FR response you got from those.
I can strongly recommend using glasses/mugs or anything strong and circular you have lying around to use as weighted templates for cutting circles.
Pressing down (using quite a lot of your body weight) on the foam (which is also on a good cutting mat) and cutting around the object with a sharp craft knife/scalpel gives almost perfectly smooth edges, and for the center hole I use a coin.
With a short bit of intense effort, the results can be quite visually pleasing.

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #6,021 of 8,987
Buy 2 thin wall (short) pipes for the ID/OD you need for the holes in the memory foam, and sharpen one edge of each pipe with a file (razor sharp) then place them in position on the memory foam, and take a lump hammer and whack the pipes, and presto, you have a perfect circle/cut!

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #6,022 of 8,987
Nice work.
That's a really nice FR response you got from those.
I can strongly recommend using glasses/mugs or anything strong and circular you have lying around to use as weighted templates for cutting circles.
Pressing down (using quite a lot of your body weight) on the foam (which is also on a good cutting mat) and cutting around the object with a sharp craft knife/scalpel gives almost perfectly smooth edges, and for the center hole I use a coin.
With a short bit of intense effort, the results can be quite visually pleasing.

I done it that way, but the snap-off knife that I used didn't help, I think that a x-acto knife should be bettter

Buy 2 thin wall (short) pipes for the ID/OD you need for the holes in the memory foam, and sharpen one edge of each pipe with a file (razor sharp) then place them in position on the memory foam, and take a lump hammer and whack the pipes, and presto, you have a perfect circle/cut!

I tried using mild steel but the edge gone bad after a few punches, maybe stainless steel is better.

The real deal is to cut the memory foam in slabs...

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #6,023 of 8,987
Quick question, as i wasn't able to find anything through the search, but has anyone made a grado sr80 mod w/ driver and/or woody along with a g-cush pad that retains the forward sounding signature? I have a pair of sr80s and got a g-cush, though it's much more comfortable, now I feel like the sound signature's totally changed now (larger sound stage with a sense of hollowness and the clarity gone)

I'm hoping theres a combination of mod / mods where the woody cup and/or the driver (maybe like a magnum V4) would make it clear sounding with the G-cush. Any tips / directions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! =)

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #6,024 of 8,987
I recently built a CherryGrado with 80i drivers, but someone wanted them with 125i drivers installed. So I removed the drivers from an SR125i and switched the drivers from the CherryGrado.

As some people appreciated the pics I posted on making the 80i CherryGrado, I wanted to post these pictures of the exchange, as they show a different method of cutting through the plastic sleeve around the drivers:

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #6,025 of 8,987
In the negotiation of a trade I agreed to give up my J$ headband as part of the deal ( one if the last he had way back). A warning to those faced with this dilemma......don't do it! Lol!! They were and are perfect for a GRADO, comfortable and well made, and don't change the physics of the construction, except to add a much needed improvement in quality and comfort. I didn't realize what I had til it was gone, as they say. The mantas may have more padding, but they are just not the same. (Anybody out there willing to part with theirs, I'm very interested, just sayin') just a word to the wise, in my desire to trade for another set of phones, I didn't calculate this loss until it was to late.

As a footnote, I have come up with a way to liberate drivers from driver housing without heat and damage to housing via saw, x acto, etc. it is time consuming and requires a certain degree of skill, but can be done, and gives you a perfectly usable housing for projects. Amybody interested, fire me a pm and I wil go through the steps. This is not a noob process however, no offence intended.

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #6,026 of 8,987
Amybody interested, fire me a pm and I wil go through the steps. This is not a noob process however, no offence intended.

I don't know if I can be considered a Noob, but I'm curious, so I send you a PM.

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #6,027 of 8,987

Option #2... Go to your local O'Reily auto parts store, or well stocked hardware store and look for wrench sockets.  Specifically look for one that has a bevel/angle edge around the business end.  Doesn't have to be a knife-edge or a sharp angle, but the sharper the better.  So a blunt angle geometry will work, you just give it a hard SMACK against smooth concrete in your garage.  Perfect hole!!

In HF eras of the past this used to be called a socket mod.

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #6,028 of 8,987
In the negotiation of a trade I agreed to give up my J$ headband as part of the deal ( one if the last he had way back). A warning to those faced with this dilemma......don't do it! Lol!! They were and are perfect for a GRADO, comfortable and well made, and don't change the physics of the construction, except to add a much needed improvement in quality and comfort. I didn't realize what I had til it was gone, as they say. The mantas may have more padding, but they are just not the same. (Anybody out there willing to part with theirs, I'm very interested, just sayin') just a word to the wise, in my desire to trade for another set of phones, I didn't calculate this loss until it was to late.

As a footnote, I have come up with a way to liberate drivers from driver housing without heat and damage to housing via saw, x acto, etc. it is time consuming and requires a certain degree of skill, but can be done, and gives you a perfectly usable housing for projects. Amybody interested, fire me a pm and I wil go through the steps. This is not a noob process however, no offence intended.

I'm curious too.... PM sent

Pretty sure they use PVC adhesive.  At least thats what it smells like when I was dremel-grinding the stuff down.  Thats the same stuff building contractors use to PERMANENTLY bond PVC plumbing... and its pretty much as permanent as melting the plastics together. IMHO.  I am always learning something new, and relative to some of the work done here I would consider myself a complete noob.  No offense taken  8^)

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #6,029 of 8,987
  Option #2... Go to your local O'Reily auto parts store, or well stocked hardware store and look for wrench sockets.  Specifically look for one that has a bevel/angle edge around the business end.  Doesn't have to be a knife-edge or a sharp angle, but the sharper the better.  So a blunt angle geometry will work, you just give it a hard SMACK against smooth concrete in your garage.  Perfect hole!!

In HF eras of the past this used to be called a socket mod.

I had used one of these sockets to punch a hole in my (S) cushions, but found it wasn't sharp enough, and these cushions are much softer than memory foam, so I moved on to the pipe, which worked out perfect for me. 
smile.gif

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #6,030 of 8,987
  I had used one of these sockets to punch a hole in my (S) cushions, but found it wasn't sharp enough, and these cushions are much softer than memory foam, so I moved on to the pipe, which worked out perfect for me. 
smile.gif

Yeah, I just use a quarter, push it flat and firm and just cut around it with my knife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back