post your grado mods....
Dec 8, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #5,686 of 8,992
Hi, today i tried to replace the cables on my grado sr-80, i carefully switched cables and only 1 side worked, the other transducer didn't, so i tested the one that didn't work with the cables that are attached to the one that does work, but i didnt get any sound out of it, could it be i destroyed a transducer?
Normally i solder very good, but what could have gone wrong? I tested the cables, so it must be something inside the transducer?

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #5,687 of 8,992
  Hi, today i tried to replace the cables on my grado sr-80, i carefully switched cables and only 1 side worked, the other transducer didn't, so i tested the one that didn't work with the cables that are attached to the one that does work, but i didnt get any sound out of it, could it be i destroyed a transducer?
Normally i solder very good, but what could have gone wrong? I tested the cables, so it must be something inside the transducer?

If you heat up the solder point on the driver too much, the ultrathin voice-coil wires on the other side will dislodge. You won't be able to repair that voice coil. You can ask Grado for a replacement or look for a secondhand Grado.

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #5,688 of 8,992
If you heat up the solder point on the driver too much, the ultrathin voice-coil wires on the other side will dislodge. You won't be able to repair that voice coil. You can ask Grado for a replacement or look for a secondhand Grado.

+1. Done this at least three times in the past. Such a pain and source of frustration.

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #5,690 of 8,992
quote name="Maverickmonk" url="/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/5670#post_11110450"]Get them bead blasted/ media blasted. should give you a nice textured, industrial look that would go well with the metal screens.

Glad to see all the crazy cool mods still coming out. It's been a few years for me, I sold my modded 60's 3 years ago about (see avatar). But now I'm contemplating giving it another go: What's the census? Old school drivers, the new, bigger, e series drivers, or the magnums (turbulent labs?) drivers. Are the turbulent labs drivers the same as rhynos symposium magnum drivers?

[/quote]

May want to also give a try at the sennheiser px100 driver in a grado wood housing. I believe 7keys preffered it to his magnums. You can read up on them by searching senngrado in the search bar.[/quote]

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #5,691 of 8,992
May want to also give a try at the sennheiser px100 driver in a grado wood housing. I believe 7keys preffered it to his magnums. You can read up on them by searching senngrado in the search bar.

Seconded...I compared the SennGrado to my Magnums in the review I did on the tour unit...they came depressingly close to beating them...to the point that I was happy to sell off my Magnums recently to free up some funds for woodworking tools (I would not have dreamed of doing this before, such was my commitment to the Magnums). The SennGrados put that big a hole in the Magnum's armour...

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #5,694 of 8,992
I've read on another forum the treble on the ms2es were better than the rs1es. Have you compared your ms2es to any other grados?

Many, but not side by side. Owned the MS2i sinced 2011 and it's been the only headphone I haven't sold (until I got the MS2e).

I've owned all Alessandro and Grado's below the GS1000, there was always something about the MS2 that made me keep it. Very good with metal and rock especially which is my main use. I don't like a harsh or grainy treble at all, MS2e are very smooth.

Was an easy choice for me going back and forth between the MS2e and Magnum v5. Punchier bass, not as bright up the top.

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #5,696 of 8,992

You can damage the voice coil with too much heat i.e. applying the soldering iron for too long

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #5,698 of 8,992
Hmmmm....I don't seem to be able to add pictures anymore for some reason.

Maybe you reached a limit and have to delete part of the collection you've got on your profile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back