post your grado mods....
Dec 1, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #5,657 of 8,992
  $250+ for earpads!?  you'd be a fool to buy those unless you're bill gates. 

It's 250 for custom made wooden adaptors that will hold circumaural pads. If you pay 1,000+ dollars for a headphone, 250 to make them 'better' is different from plonking them on a 200 dollar SR225.

There are people who don't modify anything at all, and they will frown at cutting holes in perfectly good ear pads, and ridicule someone who will remove the drivers from the plastic housing and place them in wooden cups, et cetera.

Martin caters to an exclusive audience. People who want a unique headphone. A niche market, sure, but he's been in business for a while now, with no shortage of clients, so he must be doing well. And return customers show that he is evidently good at what he does.

I drive a pre-scratched second hand Opel Meriva, because I don't care about cars, but I don't consider people who drive Lamborghinis to be fools.

Unless they try to drive them through Amsterdam, which would be like using a 1,000 headphone to listen to compressed audio files...
gs1000.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #5,658 of 8,992
I just got a drawing from the machining shop for the aluminum sleeves.  I think it is a bit short (the 1.181 length should be longer, but I am not sure by how much).

Otherwise, I think the entire thing looks good.

The price as per the drawing is about $15 a piece, plus tax on my end if I order 100 units, but will be about 30 to 40% more if I order 50 units.  Given that 100 units would mean that I will have to plunk down $1500 + tax (expensive), I am thinking of getting only 50 units instead, which means that it will be 40 a pair + shipping if you guys want to get them from me (yes, I am not making 25 pairs of grados).

Anyways, please check the drawings for me and see if anything is out of whack.  Note that those three holes in the middle of the barrel is threaded, but we have to get our own screws (I will probably get a bunch on my end, but I have to be sure to get right length or they will butt out and I can't fit the cups on top of it ....

If all goes well, I am even considering getting one piece aluminum cups with threaded holes for screws to hold in the drivers in the future, but that will be a long ways away, and will need someone with the ability to draw to help me out.

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #5,660 of 8,992

They are still running blackfriday free shipping I just pick these up for under 20 bucks

I guess that's 'free shipping within CONUS', not international. I live in Amsterdam...

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #5,661 of 8,992
  I just got a drawing from the machining shop for the aluminum sleeves.  I think it is a bit short (the 1.181 length should be longer, but I am not sure by how much).

Otherwise, I think the entire thing looks good.

The price as per the drawing is about $15 a piece, plus tax on my end if I order 100 units, but will be about 30 to 40% more if I order 50 units.  Given that 100 units would mean that I will have to plunk down $1500 + tax (expensive), I am thinking of getting only 50 units instead, which means that it will be 40 a pair + shipping if you guys want to get them from me (yes, I am not making 25 pairs of grados).

Anyways, please check the drawings for me and see if anything is out of whack.  Note that those three holes in the middle of the barrel is threaded, but we have to get our own screws (I will probably get a bunch on my end, but I have to be sure to get right length or they will butt out and I can't fit the cups on top of it ....

If all goes well, I am even considering getting one piece aluminum cups with threaded holes for screws to hold in the drivers in the future, but that will be a long ways away, and will need someone with the ability to draw to help me out.

It looks like the 1.181 is inches. We asked for 30 mm end to end, and 30 mm in inches is 1.181, so I would assume its correct.

1. The holes for the screws, are they perhaps too far down the barrel? The driver is roughly a 1/4 inch thick, and we need the screw to be in a position to press into the middle of the driver wall, not sit behind it (am I correct?).

2. The semi-circles cut into the end aren't necessary I think. Because we specified the 30 mm length, these will reach all the way to the end of a stock Grado cup. No need for the semi-circles to allow the cable through. just a hole in the wall for it.

3. Is there a hole for the cable anywhere in there?

I am still down for a pair of these, possibly two.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #5,663 of 8,992
Count me in for two pairs if you will.be interesting to see how they sound in metal cups and wooden cups.
Do you know what type of aluminium you will be using as I guess this will make a difference.
Some where on this site is the spec of which aluminium to use

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #5,664 of 8,992
  I wonder if a phone call to their sales department might come up with better options than 60$ shipping. When i called they were very accommodating. Just a thought

I filled in the contact form, addressed to their sales department. We'll see... Thanks for the heads-up!

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #5,665 of 8,992
I have no idea about the type of aluminum used.

I will ask.

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #5,667 of 8,992
Hey guys could anyone explain why my ps500's (bought new) have 4 holes in the left driver felt but not in the right. Does anyone else have experience with this and if so should I put 4 holes in the other side or leave them be?

P.S. I vowed to never mod my ps500's as that is how I broke my sr80i's (lets not talk about that). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back