post your grado mods....
Dec 5, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #5,673 of 8,992
  Hey guys could anyone explain why my ps500's (bought new) have 4 holes in the left driver felt but not in the right. Does anyone else have experience with this and if so should I put 4 holes in the other side or leave them be?

P.S. I vowed to never mod my ps500's as that is how I broke my sr80i's (lets not talk about that). 

I believe Grado does pierce holes in the PS500 felt. Odd they missed one side though. Are you sure that the one side has no holes at all?

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #5,677 of 8,992
Hold on hold on.now are there holes in the black driver felt or in the White material covering the outside of the driver.
Ive never seen it on the White covering but I know the PS500 have two on each driver felt

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #5,682 of 8,992
Im Positive!!! and you can definitely tell at sub 130hz 

...ah...yes, the holes are integral to the bass, so yes, I agree with Joe, back they should go....unless you want to open 'em up and make the holes yourself...muahahaha

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #5,684 of 8,992
has anyone here ever woodied a pair of PS500's? or stripped the powder coated paint from them? I love my PS500e but the right cup has developed numerous freckle like spots where the powder coating has come off as if chipped away.strangely the left cup remains looking new and unaffected,i am not a modder though if i was i would be tempted to remove the cups and have someone sand off the powder finish as to my thinking even a plain flat industrial aluminum finish would be aesthetically preferable to speckled missing dots of paint.

Grado have offered to replace the cup free of charge which it looks like is what i'm going to have to do even though i fear the same thing may occur again and i also hate being without my PS500e for who knows how long seeing as how they are so new .i would wonder if i was just clumsy since the spots are only on the right cup but i have seen other people mention similar issues with their PS500e as well as  powder coating on their sr-325e's, also i own other cans with aluminum cups such as the sennheiser amperiors and phillips/o'neil construct which have seen far more use and neither of them have even a single blemish on the aluminum cups/housing  .any thoughts/ideas are welcome and appreciated.

edit: i like the look of the jaben aluminum cups but don't want the drivers recessed.

here is a picture of a pair of 325e with a similar issue though the right cup on mine have developed even more spots

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #5,685 of 8,992
  has anyone here ever woodied a pair of PS500's? or stripped the powder coated paint from them? I love my PS500e but the right cup has developed numerous freckle like spots where the powder coating has come off as if chipped away.strangely the left cup remains looking new and unaffected,i am not a modder though if i was i would be tempted to remove the cups and have someone sand off the powder finish as to my thinking even a plain flat industrial aluminum finish would be aesthetically preferable to speckled missing dots of paint.

Grado have offered to replace the cup free of charge which it looks like is what i'm going to have to do even though i fear the same thing may occur again and i also hate being without my PS500e for who knows how long seeing as how they are so new .i would wonder if i was just clumsy since the spots are only on the right cup but i have seen other people mention similar issues with their PS500e as well as  powder coating on their sr-325e's, also i own other cans with aluminum cups such as the sennheiser amperiors and phillips/o'neil construct which have seen far more use and neither of them have even a single blemish on the aluminum cups/housing  .any thoughts/ideas are welcome and appreciated.

edit: i like the look of the jaben aluminum cups but don't want the drivers recessed.

here is a picture of a pair of 325e with a similar issue though the right cup on mine have developed even more spots

Get them bead blasted/ media blasted. should give you a nice textured, industrial look that would go well with the metal screens.

Glad to see all the crazy cool mods still coming out. It's been a few years for me, I sold my modded 60's 3 years ago about (see avatar). But now I'm contemplating giving it another go: What's the census? Old school drivers, the new, bigger, e series drivers, or the magnums (turbulent labs?) drivers. Are the turbulent labs drivers the same as rhynos symposium magnum drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back