post your grado mods....
Nov 3, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #5,568 of 8,987
...this weekend's woodworking madness...these owe a clear design debt to @thelostMIDrange. I have managed to make my walls thinner and the inner chamber wider. I have also widened the end opening. I should have a press-fit seat for the driver, but that remains to be seen (I lent the SR60 pinks I was going to gut for drivers to a friend).

The wood is mahogany (not sure if its African or Honduran). I just need to drill holes, make grills and do the finish on them.

Next steps...get my pinks back and get the drivers in these, try a few different woods, try a few design tweaks of my own, and attempt a closed version for a stratoKOSSter build...

Nov 3, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #5,569 of 8,987
  ...this weekend's woodworking madness...these owe a clear design debt to @thelostMIDrange. I have managed to make my walls thinner and the inner chamber wider. I have also widened the end opening. I should have a press-fit seat for the driver, but that remains to be seen (I lent the SR60 pinks I was going to gut for drivers to a friend).

The wood is mahogany (not sure if its African or Honduran). I just need to drill holes, make grills and do the finish on them.

Next steps...get my pinks back and get the drivers in these, try a few different woods, try a few design tweaks of my own, and attempt a closed version for a stratoKOSSter build...

A lot of work went into those.........Nice!

Put some red stain on those.

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #5,570 of 8,987
  A lot of work went into those.........Nice!

Put some red stain on those.

Thanks :). I am finally getting around a few of the limitations on my system...all it took was a little practice. I need to get around the burn marks I am getting on the inside chamber. Probably need to either switch to a forstner bit or get a new hole saw (something sharper).

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #5,571 of 8,987

Thanks :). I am finally getting around a few of the limitations on my system...all it took was a little practice. I need to get around the burn marks I am getting on the inside chamber. Probably need to either switch to a forstner bit or get a new hole saw (something sharper).

You have to learn to sharpen the hole saw your self. You also have to make sure when you're cutting through the top that the teeth aren't jammed up with wood fibers. I use a small metal brush and clean the teeth ever once in while. You don't want to start a fire.
smile.gif

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #5,572 of 8,987

#fleasbaby, Now I understand your suffering with the California headband. I've been trimming the metal bar for a while by hand and it might take a while before getting a decent finish. It chewed the wood because there was too much pressure among the cups and the metal... The headband looks huge next to the original grado cups...

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #5,573 of 8,987
  You have to learn to sharpen the hole saw your self. You also have to make sure when you're cutting through the top that the teeth aren't jammed up with wood fibers. I use a small metal brush and clean the teeth ever once in while. You don't want to start a fire.
smile.gif

LMAO! That's what it is? The sawdust in the teeth? Of course! I was aware of trying to avoid a fire, but never put two and two together when it came to cleaning the teeth as I go along...thank you kind sir...next round, a little brush. I will also look into sharpening teeth myself with a file...

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #5,574 of 8,987

LMAO! That's what it is? The sawdust in the teeth? Of course! I was aware of trying to avoid a fire, but never put two and two together when it came to cleaning the teeth as I go along...thank you kind sir...next round, a little brush. I will also look into sharpening teeth myself with a file...

Yes!
Be a good boy and clean your teeth.

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #5,575 of 8,987

#fleasbaby, Now I understand your suffering with the California headband. I've been trimming the metal bar for a while by hand and it might take a while before getting a decent finish. It chewed the wood because there was too much pressure among the cups and the metal... The headband looks huge next to the original grado cups...

LOL...that wasn't me, it was @7keys

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #5,576 of 8,987

And it's heavy, not worth the trouble.

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #5,577 of 8,987
It's true: too much trouble but I started already so there's no turning back. (After the auvio headband and the original Grado I guess any other headband will be really heavy) and I still have to change the color of the plastic hinges, not sure how to paint it either, don't feel like sanding so I will be using probably plastic dip or a permanent marker.

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #5,578 of 8,987

Love the shape and tone of those! Very nice :)

Nov 4, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #5,580 of 8,987

It is getting better and better, well done!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back