post your grado mods....
Feb 14, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #8,191 of 8,992
I've just bought grado sg60 off eBay for cheap with the intention to modify. I am big black and death metal fan. What mods\parts would you all suggest? I have never modded headphones before so please be kind!

Feb 15, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #8,192 of 8,992
I've just bought grado sg60 off eBay for cheap with the intention to modify. I am big black and death metal fan. What mods\parts would you all suggest? I have never modded headphones before so please be kind!
Remove filter, replace the filter with a thin microfiber towel cut and change to jumbo cups. The softer side of the towel is the one facing away from the drivers. It will sound super realistic and present.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #8,194 of 8,992
My latest effort on the Grado mod front....225e balanced.

IMG_0470.jpg

Headband from Turbulent Labs
Cups from Yew Wood Works
Aluminum gimbals from ebay
18 awg ofc copper wire
4 pin xlr and xlr to 3.5 mm connector from amazon

IMG_0472.jpg

Things that could be better....
i need to learn how to solder better! They work great but under the hood is ugly!
The y-split isn't that great. Could have done a better job with that.
If I were to do this again, I would probably use a higher awg cable like 20 or 22 awg and make the cable a little longer.

Overall sound is amazing. They sound better than my 325e! Clear vocals, great mids and solid bass. Very revealing when it comes to music in terms of audio quality.
Currently using these with a modified SSD 512GB ipod classic, a Fiio X3 2nd gen. player, and a JDS Labs C5 headphone amp.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #8,195 of 8,992
Oh yeah!
A trick I learned to get the headband alittle tighter on my big old head is to use a rubber band between the rod blocks and the cups to bend the headband more and hold it in place. Put the rubber band on when not in use and eventually the headband will conform for a tighter better fit.

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #8,197 of 8,992
Anybody got a suggestion for a better headband I can get for sr60e that will soon have turbulent x drivers and some wood cups. Also some cable to replace the current one. I don't want to spend a fortune on either

Feb 17, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #8,198 of 8,992
Anybody got a suggestion for a better headband I can get for sr60e that will soon have turbulent x drivers and some wood cups. Also some cable to replace the current one. I don't want to spend a fortune on either
Headband only using original rodblocks and gimbals? Try Rholupat

Feb 17, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #8,199 of 8,992
As @capnjack noted for the headband either Rholupat (one of the cheapest places) or Turbulent (most expensive but nicest IMO) and there are a few others.

Since you are in Europe I'd get some Van Damme cables and make your own and if you want removable cables use SMC, mini-XLR or other jacks. Go on ebay for some carbon fiber splitters, SMC jacks or the jack of your choice, paracord if you want to sleeve the cables and the 3.5mm or 6.3mm jacks. This is what I've been building:
HD6XX-new cable.jpg
HD650 cable.jpg
HD700 Canare Cable.jpg

Feb 19, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #8,200 of 8,992
@CalvinSetham, I was curious to see what your mod looks like but I just noticed that you only have 8 posts so you might not be able to post any pictures yet but if you can I'd love to see what you have done.
Make sure you get a thin microfiber towel that doesn't trap heat and has good ventilation. It will sound more transparent than the stock filter, you just need to crank it up louder

Attachments

• 20180219_171742.jpg
    20180219_171742.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Feb 20, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #8,202 of 8,992
Some fun news for you all, I don't have a Turbulent Labs driver/build yet but I just finished getting

A gorgeous Magnum V7 build and a Grado RS2E and RS-1 Buttoned, so here shortly with @DavidA 's help I'll likely compare 4 Grado Style Drivers [my 3[Nhoord Red V1, Magnum V7 Ypsilon G1] + his Ypsilon R1 ] to the two existing Grado's I have, as I feel the RS2E is really the epitome of the modern Grado offerings, I really like it every time I hear it and it's priced right around the same price as a budget Grado Style Driver build from on of the three companies, an I'm hoping the RS-1 will give me a good flavor of classic Grado sound, as I'm curious how the Modern Grado Sound, Modern Grado Style Drivers both compare to classic Grado sound...

Plus honestly, the RS-1 Button I have is BEAUTIFUL! It's in PRISTINE CONDITION, an it's SOO much prettier than the RS2E, the cups are polished better, the stain is much nicer and darker, the wood buttons just everything! It's so pretty, and honestly when I pay 400+ for a grado or grado style build I want the sound + the prettiness, so hopefully it sounds as good as it looks! But I'm curious to see if people who want pretty Grado Style cups are better off hunting for a Vintage or going full custom, likely full custom as you can choose how you want your headphone to sound but still, it should be a fun comparison either way! I'll have a pic of all 5 as soon as my Magnum V7 build arrives!

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #8,203 of 8,992
@Mshenay, I'm not sure when I'll have my R1 back, its currently in Korea since my friend and his wife are on a business trip there and will be stopping in Hong Kong and Japan before getting back to Hawaii some time in Mar. I'll give you an update as soon as I hear back from Nikki about getting the R1 back.

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #8,204 of 8,992
I would like to try some g cushions on my turbulent x grado sr60e build but notice they are expensive. Are there any cheaper equivants I can get that done effect sound in a bad way?

Feb 21, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #8,205 of 8,992
I would like to try some g cushions on my turbulent x grado sr60e build but notice they are expensive. Are there any cheaper equivants I can get that done effect sound in a bad way?
There are some who only use the OEM G-pads while I'm one that only likes the generic G-pads due to comfort mainly and they are $4-6/pair on ebay from many different vendors but I suggest trying a few different vendors since the QC of the generic G-pads is not the greatest and you can't tell from pictures. The differences are usually the density of the foam, distance from the face of the driver to the bottom of the bowl and the depth of the bowl which all have some effect on the sound. To me most of the generic G-pads don't affect the sound in a bad way but since I do other mods (dynamat in the cups, sorbothane or dynamat on the back of the driver, sometimes dynamat strips on each side of the vent holes, felt on the back of the button if there is one, and I've tried an attenuation ring made of sorbothane in my Nhoord Red V2 which I'm starting to like which seems to act like a bass port on a speaker its hard to say. Some say the generic G-pads make the bass muddy and overly warm but maybe since I do all the other tweaks I don't seem to get muddy bass. OEM G-pads reduce the bass in general, they are not as comfortable due to the harder foam used and don't breath as well due to higher density foam used but they do seem to give slightly better soundstage and imaging because of the higher density foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back