post your grado mods....
Mar 24, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #8,222 of 8,992
I went ahead and got a pair of Grado brand G-cush, so I now have three different sets of G-cush, so I’ll give a little review.

The sets are: 1 from ebay/China ($5), 1 Earzonk ($20), and the Grado ($45).

Build quality. As you might imagine, the quality of material goes up with the price, with the Grado being way out in front.

Sound. I don’t have as well trained ear as many here have, but I have learned some, have some test tracks I use, and can hear differences in sound signatures between headphones and drivers. I have no doubt that there are subtleties that I cannot hear. All comparison was done using a build with Symphones V8.

The ebay/China cushions sound terrible. They give a very big boost to the bass, but it is bloomy, flabby, sloppy. These cushions will end up in the trash. DavidA has found G-cush from China that he likes, but I was not so lucky.

I like the EarZonk when I am in the mood for something a little more laid back. With the V8 they give the bass a boost, and add a very nice impact. The highs are smoothed out, and vocals get a change in tone that I think is wonderful. I will always want a pair of the EarZonk around.

Grado. These made the least change to the sound signature. Very similar in sound to the L-cush. Some boost to the bass, but nothing at all like what happens with the EarZonk. There is little to no change to the highs that I can hear, though maybe some of you will be able to hear more change there.

Comfort:

The Chinese and the EarZonk feel the same, the cushion rests on your ear, there is a lot of contact between the ear and the cushion.

The Grado are a much different feel and build. There is a very stiff layer of foam on the back of the cushion, and a more dense layer of foam on the outside where it contacts your head. The cushion is also deeper. This gives it the feel of an actual cup around the ear, rather than a cushion resting on your ear like the EarZonk. I don’t mind the feeling of the EarZonk, but to me, the Grado is the most comfortable. Maybe because it is more similar to a typical headphone cup that I am accustomed to, but it feels very nice to me.

I love the V8 build, and switching between a Grado brand L-cush, and the EarZonk, I get two different sound signatures, which I think is very cool. The L-cush is very detailed, but with the V8 you still get nice bass. The EarZonk are fantastic when I want a mellower sound, with some very nice bass impact. Two headphones in one! I don’t often get the chance to wear my headphones more than an hour straight, and I have no comfort issues with the Grado L-cush for that length of time.

Now an aside to the above. I also order through ebay/China an L-cush knock-off. I do not have the writing skill to describe just how truly awful these things are! Just complete junk. The softest, least dense foam you can imagine finding anywhere. It appears they have taken a razor and simply cut a slit in the foam on the inside as a way to mount the cushion. I didn’t even bother doing a listening comparison, as these are completely and utterly useless. I’m thinking of hanging one of them on the wall as a reminder, of what I am unsure, the futility of life maybe?

Mar 28, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #8,224 of 8,992
Hi, question for you people. My original GS1000 left driver blew. I guess they're pretty old. I wrote to grado asking for a replacement but got no reply. As mine had a black dragon cable mod on them I figured Grado wouldn't help anyway, so ordered a set of V8 which are now on their way.
...and so this morning I got a reply from Grado saying they would replace them. The cost is the same as the V8s.
As I'm not sure if Grado will still honor the replacement if I dig the original drivers out to test - is it worth spending more on the Grado drivers or should I give the V8s a spin? I've not read any comparisons of the v8 vs gs1000 or or seen any threads of anyone else replacing them.

Mar 28, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #8,225 of 8,992
Hi, question for you people. My original GS1000 left driver blew. I guess they're pretty old. I wrote to grado asking for a replacement but got no reply. As mine had a black dragon cable mod on them I figured Grado wouldn't help anyway, so ordered a set of V8 which are now on their way.
...and so this morning I got a reply from Grado saying they would replace them. The cost is the same as the V8s.
As I'm not sure if Grado will still honor the replacement if I dig the original drivers out to test - is it worth spending more on the Grado drivers or should I give the V8s a spin? I've not read any comparisons of the v8 vs gs1000 or or seen any threads of anyone else replacing them.
Are you sure that it´s driver that is broken? It could be cable as well. And thats very easy and cheap to fix.

Mar 28, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #8,226 of 8,992
Didn't you have to remove the drivers to install the black dragon cable? Also, you might have to re-install the original Grado cable before they will do a repair from what I encountered so far getting a SR325 gold repaired since they wanted it in stock condition before doing any work on them, it was a flat fee of $75 + shipping to them. They replaced both drivers even if only one was dead and changed the original 4 conductor cable to the newer 8 conductor one that started to come on SR225e and up and they included a new gimbal to replace one that had a broken pin.

I'd get the GS1000 repaired with original drivers since it will be worth more if you decide to sell them in the future and just get a set of cups for the V8 to build another set which you can sell if they don't meet your preferences.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #8,229 of 8,992

Put the V8 drivers in this :)

Image.png

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32811989313/32811989313.html

I’m considering buying that just to hear it. It’s €45 on sale haha.

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #8,231 of 8,992
Could anyone refer me to a guide I can use so I can mod my SR 325's with mono plugs & jacks?
This is a modded SR325 that I use SMC jacks on and a few pictures of a SR60 showing the inner workings
SR325-1.jpg

SR60-vent and  SMC.jpg

To fit the SMC jacks you need to enlarge the holes a few mm so going with the 2.5mm the holes would have to be even larger. The hardest part will be to find a 2.5mm jack that is small enough to fit within the inner cup without having to cut too much. One reason I use the SMC jacks is due to its smaller size and the longer thread area so they will fit between the inner and outer cups.

Mar 29, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #8,233 of 8,992
Dang! If a V8 would fit in that, what a bargain!
I asked the seller so we shall see what the diameter of the driver is in this thing.

Edit: Found a cheaper variant of the same product from a different seller
Look what I found on AliExpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32814142138/32814142138.html

...€37 what a steal, still need to here back on the driver size, I may pick it up if it’s an ideal fit and grab myself some custom drivers :)

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #8,234 of 8,992
@mgh24 aha I found the driver size... 40mm!

Most drivers around here are 44.5? Would require some diy work...

Wait actually that’s the diaphragm size. Maybe the housing makes it a little over that? Could be 42mm or more? hmmm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back