post your grado mods....
Dec 30, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #8,161 of 8,992
question here guys, what dac do you use for grados? or do they need any. coz im just playing it directly to my laptop and phone. and maybe im missing out on something
I've been mostly using the headphone jack of my PC, using a Asus Xonar DG soundcard which is pretty good. I currently have the following DACs: UD-301, Bimby, Bifrost Uber, Modi2uber and Teac AH-01 with these amps: Lyr2, BH Crack, Ember, Asgard2, and the headphone outputs of the UD-301 and AH-01, but you really don't need a DAC/amp for most Grado headphones (RS2e and SR225e for me) and the alternative drivers like the Ypsilon, Nhoord, Magnum and Turbulent are also fairly easy to drive.
I also have a Fiio X3, X3ii, X1 and Sandisk Clip for portable use

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #8,162 of 8,992
thanks.. but I dont really want to spend huge money for dac right now, can you suggest any affordable ones that are good?
A reasonably priced dap?
I find the Ruizu A50hd to be a real powerhouse of a player for very little money (£50)

Dec 30, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #8,163 of 8,992
Currently listening to America / America (1971) - A Horse With No Name on my Turbulent X’s :) Thanks @jinteddy7 for the quick turnaround on my replacement driver. Just burned it in overnight so I can now have a proper listen to them! :)

Dec 30, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #8,165 of 8,992
thanks for the suggestions guys, i think ill buy these instead (https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coa...601&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=signstek+hifi&psc=1) since they are cheaper, if i have a more budget then ill probably buy a better one for upgrade. coz i really think my built-in dac on my laptop is not so good.

It looks to me that you will still need an amp in the chain after the dac there though. Sorry, my bad, I didn’t spot the black headphone socket next to the rca sockets.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #8,167 of 8,992
Dec 30, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #8,169 of 8,992
Amazon?

Dec 30, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #8,171 of 8,992
I see, in the UK we get stung for duties on everything from outside the EU. add on to that the standard Royal Mail handling fee and thing start to add up :frowning2:
Shame really because it sounds like the Fiio could have been exactly what you need.

Dec 30, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #8,173 of 8,992
thanks.. but I dont really want to spend huge money for dac right now, can you suggest any affordable ones that are good?

JDS Labs O2 + OL DAC will be great, it's what I use.

It's very neutral and works well with the warmer and newer E series of grados

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #8,175 of 8,992
Hey guys! -

Anyone have a good source for female 2.5mm jacks? I had my TH900s converted to detachable by Brandon (Peterek) and thought it'd be neat to be able to share cables.

TIA.
Love the work that Brandon does but 2.5mm jacks is one of those jacks that I don't care for since they aren't very sturdy and in the case of TH-900/600/X00 you need to cut the cups, baffle and frame to fit them. Its one of the reasons I like SMC jacks since they provide a more secure connection, take up less space in a cup and for the Fostex TH series you don't need to cut the cups, baffle or frame to use them.

Did you ask Brandon where he gets the 2.5mm jacks? He might be the best source of in for parts since he's helped me out many times when I'm trying to find jacks and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back