post your grado mods....
Oct 19, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #5,507 of 8,992

Looks like a super-neat, well done job.

I got a visit from Jim, the local woodturner I know, last night. He dropped two pairs of Lignum Vitae off that he finished yesterday morning:

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #5,509 of 8,992
My Grado SR225e mod... 

1. Grado SR225e
  2. Tamarind Stalted Wood
    1. Actually got it from Indonesia from a friendly chap on Facebook, they look stunning.
    2. You also don't need foam nor detaching and desoldering the cable from the driver. (good tolerances, and they use the "slit" design for the cable)
    3. I did however had to solder and all because I added a female jack for the removable system for the cables 
  3. Head Band
    1. Custom made from leather,
      1. I came up with the design, finishing and materials, inside as well as outside and got it made professionally
      2. It took a couple of iterations, check my last post on my first mod to see all iterations
      3. Internally on the top of the head band there is a hard plastic sheet, this is to keep the shape and keep the metal strip from protruding on the leather and leaving a mark over time
      4. in the inside bottom there is memory foam, so its comfortable on the head
    2. Laser engrave 
      1. The Bird 06 is to complement my first mod the Bird 05 (long story, who cares right?!?!! LOL)
  4. Cable
    1. I used White PET expandable sleeving because it matches my desk design (ALL Apple stuff, Im a apple bitch!!!)
    2. I also made the cables removable, as this is my walk around the house headphone, I will make another cable soon... (the white will get dirty very quick as i cook with them on)
    3. If you look closely there is a little detail in yellow on one of the connectors, thats how i know left from right. 
    4. The big triangle was removed from the original cable, too bulky.
  5. Sound
    1. The SR225 are stunning, I'm sure that all of you guys know already.
    2. Disclaimer: I can't say for certain how did this wood changed the tonality of my cans because I modded them before burning them in properly. Also I only had them for 2 days before the mod, not time enough to get a major feel for it.
    3. To my ears the wood smoothed the sound, almost as if I plugged them in a tube amp. The attack was not compromised but noticeable less sharp, probably due to the fact that wood is more dampening than plastic. Also i hear an almost "organic" sound to them, it is hard to describe but lower mids kind of sound "hollow", it is probably placebo effect because i know its wood but its cool nonetheless. This could be also because now they are more burned in.
    4. Sorry I could not give a proper sound comparison. Ill try to be more patient next time..
      rolleyes.gif
      ..............................NOT....

PS: since those pics I update the cable... Its still white, still the same cable, but the finish is much better than those pics... 

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #5,511 of 8,992
  Okay, I'm finished modding my RS1i or should I say Spiffied (If that's a real word).
tongue.gif

It has a new headband from Turbulent Labs
It has new polished aluminum gimbals/rod-blocks from Martin Custom Audio
And a new cable from Twisted Cables (Australia)

These guys I mentioned above I highly recommend especially Jeremy from Twisted cables that spent more hours than I think be bargained on. If anyone in interested in using his services, he is a Headfier that goes by the name "qusp".

I don't think I'll ever sell this pair of headphones.
smile.gif

beerchug.gif

Can you please let me know how did you remove the stock gimbals from the cups? 

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #5,515 of 8,992
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to recable my sr60i's and I was wondering if you guys would check over the parts I've chosen just to make sure I haven't made any errors.

The current list is:

Mogami W2893
http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2893.html

Amphenol KS3P-AU
http://www.redco.com/Amphenol-KS3P-AU.html

Red Paracord
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Red-50FT-4mm-diameter-7-Strand-550LB-Nylon-Paracord-Rope-21-/301363847188?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item462aaf6014

Heatshrink
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wire-Cable-Sleeving-150pcs-2-1-Halogen-Free-Heat-Shrink-Wrap-Sleeves-Tubing-Tube-/400721648149?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4cdf1a15

I read this entire thread in one day and I remember somebody saying they were able to purchase the sony 7506 headband for very cheap. If anyone knows what website the member was referring to could you please tell me the link.

Thanks so much for all the help everyone :)

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #5,516 of 8,992
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to recable my sr60i's and I was wondering if you guys would check over the parts I've chosen just to make sure I haven't made any errors.

The current list is:

Mogami W2893
http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2893.html

Amphenol KS3P-AU
http://www.redco.com/Amphenol-KS3P-AU.html

Red Paracord
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Red-50FT-4mm-diameter-7-Strand-550LB-Nylon-Paracord-Rope-21-/301363847188?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item462aaf6014

Heatshrink
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wire-Cable-Sleeving-150pcs-2-1-Halogen-Free-Heat-Shrink-Wrap-Sleeves-Tubing-Tube-/400721648149?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4cdf1a15

I read this entire thread in one day and I remember somebody saying they were able to purchase the sony 7506 headband for very cheap. If anyone knows what website the member was referring to could you please tell me the link.

Thanks so much for all the help everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi man.

It looks about right, do you have a soldering iron? You can just wrap the cables and heat drink it together but it will come loose at some point (trust me on that one) and can distort as you move it about. 

Also it is much easier to have a heat gun, I use a gas one by Dremel, it also doubles as a soldering iron if I'm lazy to plug my electrical one for quick jobs. You can use a normal lighter as well, but only if you are using black heat shrinks, lighters leave a black mark when heat shrinking, but you can't see on black ones of course. Also with Paracord if you use a lighter make sure that the flame does not touch it, they can burn quite quick. 

The jack looks pretty cool. Its always a nice touch to use cool looking connectors. 

Be aware to Paracord is a little trickier than PET expandable sleeving to install, and it can get dirty easier as well. But on the other hand it looks real sick!!! I would suggest that you YouTube a guy called Lutro0, he has some awesome tutorials and useful tips when using Paracord. They are based in how to sleeve computer cables but there is no difference, the techniques are the same. 

You will also want to look for his tutorial on making a split like in my picture bellow, there are some rules of thumb that you should use (I ignored and this one looks crap, gonna fix soon). You should get some super glue as well, but if you find his video you will see why. 

keep us posted

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #5,518 of 8,992
Hi man.

It looks about right, do you have a soldering iron? You can just wrap the cables and heat drink it together but it will come loose at some point (trust me on that one) and can distort as you move it about. 

Also it is much easier to have a heat gun, I use a gas one by Dremel, it also doubles as a soldering iron if I'm lazy to plug my electrical one for quick jobs. You can use a normal lighter as well, but only if you are using black heat shrinks, lighters leave a black mark when heat shrinking, but you can't see on black ones of course. Also with Paracord if you use a lighter make sure that the flame does not touch it, they can burn quite quick. 

The jack looks pretty cool. Its always a nice touch to use cool looking connectors. 

Be aware to Paracord is a little trickier than PET expandable sleeving to install, and it can get dirty easier as well. But on the other hand it looks real sick!!! I would suggest that you YouTube a guy called Lutro0, he has some awesome tutorials and useful tips when using Paracord. They are based in how to sleeve computer cables but there is no difference, the techniques are the same. 

You will also want to look for his tutorial on making a split like in my picture bellow, there are some rules of thumb that you should use (I ignored and this one looks crap, gonna fix soon). You should get some super glue as well, but if you find his video you will see why. 

keep us posted

Thanks so much for the information!

I own a soldering iron but I don't have a heat gun. I'm pretty sure a blow dryer will suffice though :p

I'm familiar with Lusto0's work but I've never sleeved a cable in my life. The split was actually the part I'm the most nervous about. I tried to look for some guides on recabling grado headphones but all of them had dead pictures. Thanks for mentioning that Lustro0 did a video on splits.

I'm curious though is there a way to recable without creating a heatshrinked split? Some of the modded headphones that I'm getting inspiration from do not look like they have a big heatshrinked split like I usually see.

Here are the pictures of the headphones I'm referring to:

https://imgur.com/a/T5buL

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #5,519 of 8,992
Thanks so much for the information!

I own a soldering iron but I don't have a heat gun. I'm pretty sure a blow dryer will suffice though :p

I'm familiar with Lusto0's work but I've never sleeved a cable in my life. The split was actually the part I'm the most nervous about. I tried to look for some guides on recabling grado headphones but all of them had dead pictures. Thanks for mentioning that Lustro0 did a video on splits.

I'm curious though is there a way to recable without creating a heatshrinked split? Some of the modded headphones that I'm getting inspiration from do not look like they have a big heatshrinked split like I usually see.

Here are the pictures of the headphones I'm referring to:

https://imgur.com/a/T5buL

Hi man

I can give you a little input on not creating a split yourself. My first mod I did for my dad and I wanted to play safe, so i dint remove the proprietary triangular split... Check both pics bellow. I prefer the version with a heat shrink over the whole thing... I think it looks pretty cool as well, I just did the other way for my own because I wanted to try new techniques... 

If you choose to it like this add a LITTLE dash of super glue to the sleeving, so it does not slide back and forth... and than cover it up with the heat shrink... I would just practice on a dummy cable because if it is too much glue it leaks out and when it dries up the color turns white and it looks crap... 

I have been sleeving things for a while now, I like my DIYs. If you master the sleeving properly you can make any project look way more awesome... A good looking sleeving makes anything looking BOSS. I sleeved all the cables in my Hackintosh and there is not one person that walks into my office and does not comment on the awesomeness!!! LOL... 

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #5,520 of 8,992
Sick cups Leo. I'm torn between getting wood cups for my 4 year old SR80i, or a new SR125e :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back