post your grado mods....
Oct 9, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #5,476 of 8,992
OK... My first Grado mod... It took a while, but I think it came out superb! 

• Custom Cups
    • Lignum Vitae Wood
    • Brass mesh
  • Custom Head Band 
    • genuine leather
    • with last engravings
    • 7 Different ones made until i was satisfied with the final result
  • After Market Jack
    • gold platted
    • with screw on 1/4" connector
  • Cable Mods
    • original Grado cable shorten by about 40cm
    • expandable sleeving PET in black
    • heat shrink to make it neat
  • Box
    • jewelry box from the beginning of the century
    • outside made with leather
    • inside refurbished with leather vinyl ( I could have done better job, but never worked with leather before)

Just brilliant man! Congrats on a good job top to bottom. I hope they sound as good as they look. Also, if any of those nice leather headbands need a new home, I could probably find a place for em :)

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #5,477 of 8,992
Just brilliant man! Congrats on a good job top to bottom. I hope they sound as good as they look. Also, if any of those nice leather headbands need a new home, I could probably find a place for em :)

Thanks.

I would not mind giving them away, but I already gave the good ones away to a friend of mine. The ones i still have are ridiculously bad!! Also, i live in South Africa, so shipping is not exactly cheap. You would be better off getting it done at your local leather shop. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #5,478 of 8,992
  OK... My first Grado mod... It took a while, but I think it came out superb! 

1. Custom Cups
    1. Lignum Vitae Wood
    2. Brass mesh
  2. Custom Head Band 
    1. genuine leather
    2. with laser engravings
    3. 7 Different ones made until i was satisfied with the final result
  3. After Market Jack
    1. gold platted
    2. with screw on 1/4" connector
  4. Cable Mods
    1. original Grado cable shorten by about 40cm
    2. expandable sleeving PET in black
    3. heat shrink to make it neat
  5. Box
    1. jewelry box from the beginning of the century
    2. outside made with leather
    3. inside refurbished with leather vinyl ( I could have done better job, but never worked with leather before)

Your first mod......very nice.

I think we all want one of those headbands. 
smile.gif

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #5,479 of 8,992
Your first mod......very nice.

I think we all want one of those headbands. :smile:

Thanks it did take forever tho... Like 5 months or so... Mostly waiting for parts to get here from ebay and the iterations of the leather band where a mission as well...

Look, it was not expensive the final leather band in the end of the day... The leather work was about $30 and the laser printing about $8... I do however live in South Africa so I doubt I'd be able to have them made and sent to any of your guys for less than $70... At this price I'm sure it's cheaper to get it done there... If anyone is interested I can make a quick research... I'll just charge extra $15 for the drive and my own time...

I must say that one of the best things about this leather band is the smell!!! I love that fresh leather smell.... Also that wood has such a amazing smell as well... It does add up to a awesome experience!!

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #5,481 of 8,992
  Has anyone done something cool from the left over plastic cups after modding them out?

I was thinking about making little box or something... Any cool suggestions? 

Shot glass coasters?

Furniture feet?

Firefly houses?

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #5,482 of 8,992
  Has anyone done something cool from the left over plastic cups after modding them out?

I was thinking about making little box or something... Any cool suggestions? 

I made mahogany sleeves for my old non-i ones and turned them into an HF1 knockoff that I am actually rather enjoying :)

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #5,483 of 8,992
Hi - I haven't been visiting the forum lately but if there is anyone who is interested in my seldom used Grado SR 225i, which includes the original cups, a Lignum Vitae (which I bought from fleasbaby), and a classic Vibro mahogany cups - you are welcome to pm me for a very good price.  

They are all in excellent condition and I've been a low to moderate listener, which I think adds to the condition of my hp. I prefer though an all in one deal; reason being, I have been spending more time with my stereo rig and plan to upgrade to a dolby atmos theater in the near future.  Also, I'm just more comfortable to bring my portable sennheiser px100 to work.  

Anyhow, I love the 225i - as I always found to be in the sweet spot of any Grado from the RS2 and below.  I might consider buying one again later; I just hate to see it lying around unused for now.  Also, I meant to post this in the classified section - until I get to take some photos...probably in a week or two.  Thanks.  

Oct 12, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #5,485 of 8,992
Not a bad idea, but I don't have any Grados lying around... Only those cool looking plastic cups. It feels a major waste to just put them in the garbage...

True, it is a shame to ditch them...I have a bag with the remains of a few pairs that have been modded...if you had two more you could make a cool wire truck (like the kids in the townships push around) with Grado tires...LOL...

Oct 12, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #5,486 of 8,992
In other modding, I churned out three sets of sleeves this weekend (a little overkill...not sure I will do that again...). All in mahogany:

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #5,490 of 8,992
...last mod for the weekend...mahogany buttons and rod tips. My wife has threatened to leave me if she sees me near the garage again for the next 48 hours
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back