post your grado mods....
Oct 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #5,522 of 8,992
Sick cups Leo. I'm torn between getting wood cups for my 4 year old SR80i, or a new SR125e
frown.gif

Thanks man, are you talking about the dark cups I just posted or the clear ones on the top of the page?

As far as I know the jump from the 80s to the 125s are not that major... I only heard the 60i, 80i, and i own the 225e. Actually had a 80i on me today, I like them a lot as well... 

I must say, the 80i to 225e is like night and day. But from the 60i to 80i the improvements is very marginal. 

I would add a wood cup to it instead, it adds a unique sound to your headphone while making it looking awesome!!!! and for like $15 you can get all you need to sleeve it and make it way more awesome as well... 

When I added the wood to the 60i it became a totally different beast... VERY WORTH!!!

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #5,523 of 8,992
im looking at wood cups as well but they arent stocking vibro classic cups for now atleast. ;/

Talk to fleasbaby here at head-fi. He has come cool cups, I bought a pair from him and it was awesome!! Not sure if he has stock at the moment. 

If he's out of it look for 'Headphoneku Fammate' on Facebook, I also got some cool cups from him.

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #5,524 of 8,992
Thanks man, are you talking about the dark cups I just posted or the clear ones on the top of the page?

As far as I know the jump from the 80s to the 125s are not that major... I only heard the 60i, 80i, and i own the 225e. Actually had a 80i on me today, I like them a lot as well... 

I must say, the 80i to 225e is like night and day. But from the 60i to 80i the improvements is very marginal. 

I would add a wood cup to it instead, it adds a unique sound to your headphone while making it looking awesome!!!! and for like $15 you can get all you need to sleeve it and make it way more awesome as well... 

When I added the wood to the 60i it became a totally different beast... VERY WORTH!!!

Thanks for the reply. Both look great but I prefer the clear ones.

I think I'll aim for some wood cups first and then when I get some 225es in the future I'll just move them over.

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #5,525 of 8,992
Thanks for the reply. Both look great but I prefer the clear ones.

I think I'll aim for some wood cups first and then when I get some 225es in the future I'll just move them over.

That is a great idea, you will not be disappointed with the 225Es... They are truly the "sweet spot" as far as price and sound from Grado. The resolution is just out of this world, and its SOO MUCH FUN!! I own the SHURE SE535 that are about 2,5 times as expensive as the 225es, even tho they are technically worlds ahead, i find myself with my 225Es just because they put a fat smile on my face!!

just check my last post to Gr33nL34f for some cool places to find wood cups. 

Oct 25, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #5,527 of 8,992

Hi man

I can give you a little input on not creating a split yourself. My first mod I did for my dad and I wanted to play safe, so i dint remove the proprietary triangular split... Check both pics bellow. I prefer the version with a heat shrink over the whole thing... I think it looks pretty cool as well, I just did the other way for my own because I wanted to try new techniques... 

If you choose to it like this add a LITTLE dash of super glue to the sleeving, so it does not slide back and forth... and than cover it up with the heat shrink... I would just practice on a dummy cable because if it is too much glue it leaks out and when it dries up the color turns white and it looks crap... 

I have been sleeving things for a while now, I like my DIYs. If you master the sleeving properly you can make any project look way more awesome... A good looking sleeving makes anything looking BOSS. I sleeved all the cables in my Hackintosh and there is not one person that walks into my office and does not comment on the awesomeness!!! LOL... 

Thanks again for the info! I actually really like the look of the stock split with some heatshrink on top like in the second image you've provided. I think I'm going to try that :)

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #5,529 of 8,992
Turns out shipping from Redco to Canada is too much money
frown.gif
Does anybody know if this jack is compatible with the mogami w2893 cable?

http://www.economik.com/neutrik/ntp3rc-b/

Just read the specs on both the cable and the connector... 

The cable is 4.8mm in diameter and the jack is rated at 2.0 to 4.5 mm...

So its up to your interpretation, if you think you can make it work or not... I personally prefer a tight fit, if you squeeze it tight the strain will be on the cable instead of on the solder during use, it will prolong the life of your cable and make it less susceptible to damage by yanking.. If you are not very comfortable with working on cables and soldering or if you are planning on using a sleeve i would look for another option... 

Oct 26, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #5,530 of 8,992
Okay, these I am pretty proud of...might be super annoying and post them in the SennGrado thread too...did them today, used Mahogany and modeled them on a pair of Jim's cups. In the pictures his are on the right.

Mine have slightly thicker walls...a little more practice and I think I'll be there...

These are the cookies I made too :D

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #5,532 of 8,992
  Okay, these I am pretty proud of...might be super annoying and post them in the SennGrado thread too...did them today, used Mahogany and modeled them on a pair of Jim's cups. In the pictures his are on the right.

Mine have slightly thicker walls...a little more practice and I think I'll be there...

Great! The mahogany is very light.

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #5,533 of 8,992
\Quote:

These are the cookies I made too :D

The cups you're turning are looking really good.  The cookies?  They're only good for about 5 minutes while you inhale them.  The wooden cups?  Good for a lifetime of music enjoyment.

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #5,534 of 8,992

The cups you're turning are looking really good.  The cookies?  They're only good for about 5 minutes while you inhale them.  The wooden cups?  Good for a lifetime of music enjoyment.

I deliberately baked them on Sunday knowing I would do less damage with only one day of the weekend for them to be in front of me :D

For the cups, I did the curve on the pad lip because I had seen it in one of lostMIDrange's designs, and tried it in that first pair of Korina sleeves I made. The results were good. Here's hoping they translate well on full-cups too.

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #5,535 of 8,992
Ear zonk is currently selling a pair of artificial leather earpads for grado headphones. 
Credit to photonbuddy who found them

http://www.amazon.com/EarZonk-Long-Life-Leatherette-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B00OM21W1I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1414417269&sr=1-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back