post your grado mods....
Dec 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #4,486 of 8,992

You could use that option.  However, I've used a small toothpick fashioned into a mini brush and used white or silver Testors model paint.  While the process is slow, it does apply a nice coat of paint that bonds nicely and is quite unlikely to wear out.

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #4,487 of 8,992
You could use that option.  However, I've used a small toothpick fashioned into a mini brush and used white or silver Testors model paint.  While the process is slow, it does apply a nice coat of paint that bonds nicely and is quite unlikely to wear out.

I tried with acrylic paint but it was too thick to spread evenly...

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #4,488 of 8,992
I tried with acrilyc paint but it was too thick to make a clean application...

Right.  That's why the Testors has a lighter consistency.  Plus, if you had to thin it a bit more, you could buy a small bottle of their thinner.  This is the same paint that people use when building model planes, trains and automobiles.  Good stuff!  I've inhaled my share of such paint fumes and model cement in my youth to the point of where I'm a few million short in this day and age.

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #4,489 of 8,992
Try a hobby or craft shop...they should have paint brushes that are very tiny. Some so tiny you need some magnification to use them. I have a full set that I used a long time ago to paint die cast figurines. You can paint pretty small details with them and they are not too much $$$.

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #4,491 of 8,992
Joe,

I see Vibro Labs has some more "unfinished" Mahogany cups available on eBay for purchase.  They have about 10 pair listed (as of last evening).  $30 and free shipping along with the black screen included as well as foamy tape if you need it for the driver installation.

* I'm not affiliated with Vibro Labs in any way.  Just passing along something I noticed which might be beneficial to the group.  Also, they do have finished, "A" grade cups listed for sale, too.  It looks like about 10-pair being offered with a shipping guarantee prior to the upcoming Christmas holiday.  The cost is $95.00, with free shipping.

Has anyone bought these and seen how much work is actually needed? I'm not necessarily trying to buy them but it would be nice to have a set of "legit" cups to sell my mags in. For 30 bucks I'd assume a bit of work, which is fine Since the precision work is already done. But also, did anyone else notice the disclaimer about proprietary features that he's unable to release to the public? Or however its worded

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #4,492 of 8,992
Has anyone bought these and seen how much work is actually needed? I'm not necessarily trying to buy them but it would be nice to have a set of "legit" cups to sell my mags in. For 30 bucks I'd assume a bit of work, which is fine Since the precision work is already done. But also, did anyone else notice the disclaimer about proprietary features that he's unable to release to the public? Or however its worded

Yes.  Joe Doe has.  He provided the pictures of his finished work a few weeks earlier.  He did an excellent job from the pictures posted.  Maybe, he'll come back in and share some impressions with us.  I have a good assortment of wood tools as well as some Dremel accessories to finish these up real nice.  Then again, it's hard to tell how the pair received would actually appear.  If they were to arrive as the sample picture reflects, all one might really need is a drill press in order to cut a fresh circle out of the extra stock on the cup, then sand them up and make the all purdy.

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #4,493 of 8,992

Yes.  Joe Doe has.  He provided the pictures of his finished work a few weeks earlier.  He did an excellent job from the pictures posted.  Maybe, he'll come back in and share some impressions with us.  I have a good assortment of wood tools as well as some Dremel accessories to finish these up real nice.  Then again, it's hard to tell how the pair received would actually appear.  If they were to arrive as the sample picture reflects, all one might really need is a drill press in order to cut a fresh circle out of the extra stock on the cup, then sand them up and make the all purdy.

I bought three sets a few weeks back and the results were mixed:

One set looked very similar to the picture. Some quality time with a Dremel was all they needed before a stain and three clear coats. Will post impressions on these later.

The second set were similar however, they cracked upon installation of the driver. Not a functional issue but kind of a bummer since I put that kind of work into them to make 'em look nice.

3rd set was basically a waste. Cup A was shorter than the other, had some obvious stain issues that weren't easily fixed by removing the stain, and had a shallower lip than its mate. However, Cup B looked exactly like the ones selling for $95 on the website. I kept it (threw out the other) in case I need a reference later.

*All three were the classic design and not the prototype you mentioned hemipowered. It also bears mentioning I did all of the work with some sandpaper, a Dremel, and drill (for gimbal mounts). I don't have a drill press or immediate access to one.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #4,494 of 8,992
I have everything BUT a lathe, so I could fix them efficiently enough. Its the mismatching sizes that immediately turns me off now...ill make my own.

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #4,495 of 8,992

Sharpie doesn't seems to be that popular where I am right now, and my japanese is not good enough to understand what's written. Have any of you try this markers to paint the grado letters.

***edit: yes, it does work. The artline is perfect.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #4,497 of 8,992
...ask and ye shall recieve...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/611433/grado-wood-makers-sellers-thread

Its a little dead lately, but its a start. The guy I got to make mine is amenable too, despite wood-working being a hobby for him. Only down-side is, he doesn't have much time when he's working, so you have to hope for an open weekend.

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #4,498 of 8,992

Sharpie doesn't seems to be that popular where I am right now, and my japanese is not good enough to understand what's written. Have any of you try this markers to paint the grado letters.

***edit: yes, it does work. The artline is perfect.

It works great and looks like new, but it won't last.
Somehow it doesn't bond to the plastic and will rub off just as easily as the stock paint layer.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #4,499 of 8,992
Chatted to the wood turner I have been working with yesterday, and he sent me these pics...

These he did in Walnut and got creative with the ends a little:

The ones on the right are more paduaks just like the last lot he made. The walnuts are on the left again:

He's started talking about trying to make a solid end with perforations instead of mesh now, and after hearing about StratoKOSSters also wants to try solid ends...he's getting rather into it now :)...

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #4,500 of 8,992
  Chatted to the wood turner I have been working with yesterday, and he sent me these pics...

The one he did in Walnut and got creative with the ends a little:

The ones on the right are more paduaks just like the last lot he made. The walnuts are on the left again:

He's started talking about trying to make a solid end with perforations instead of mesh now, and after hearing about StratoKOSSters also wants to try solid ends...he's getting rather into it now :)...

Bruce, those walnut cups are looking sharp..  I not sure if you've heard of the Bushmill Grados yet, or not.  They're the first pair of closed Grado cans, to date.  When these were released about a month ago @ $399, they sold out within an hour.  There's actually a thread on it here in the forum.  You might want to share the pics with the wood turner for additional inspiration for him.  These are pretty nifty.

Edit: The cups are actually made out of aged whiskey barrels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back