post your grado mods....
Dec 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #4,474 of 8,992
Dec 8, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #4,477 of 8,992
Lost my right channel recently and decided it was time to re-cable anyway.  Well after doing that, it seems like it was the fine wire from the driver to the solder pad that was the issue.

Anyone have luck repairing this? Or should I start the search for a new pair :)

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #4,478 of 8,992
  Lost my right channel recently and decided it was time to re-cable anyway.  Well after doing that, it seems like it was the fine wire from the driver to the solder pad that was the issue.

Ouch!   A few have been there, even fewer have succeeded with fixing the issue.  The fine wire is really hard to resolve and get working correctly.  Sometimes, donor drivers exist but I haven't seen any around lately.  I just have a donor Magnum 3.5 driver.  Not sure if that would be a good match, or not.  Most likely not.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #4,479 of 8,992

Ouch!   A few have been there, even fewer have succeeded with fixing the issue.  The fine wire is really hard to resolve and get working correctly.  Sometimes, donor drivers exist but I haven't seen any around lately.  I just have a donor Magnum 3.5 driver.  Not sure if that would be a good match, or not.  Most likely not.

That is kinda what I assumed.  That wire is so tiny, seems like more fight that what it's worth.  Not sure how it happened... I may have to check my headphone amp and make sure it's still working in spec.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #4,480 of 8,992

Had the same issue a few weeks back. I sent them to Grado for repairs, and they sent me a new one back for the repair rate!

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #4,482 of 8,992
Had the same issue a few weeks back. I sent them to Grado for repairs, and they sent me a new one back for the repair rate!

As in a new pair of headphones or?

Curious about this too as the cables on mine are getting a little ratty where they enter the cups.

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #4,483 of 8,992
As in a new pair of headphones or?

Curious about this too as the cables on mine are getting a little ratty where they enter the cups.

New drivers, not a new pair of cans. Although, it sounds like you're talking about the left and right cables that solder onto the driver whereas I'm talking about the super tiny voice coils that go from the solder points to the inside of the driver.

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #4,484 of 8,992
Joe,

I see Vibro Labs has some more "unfinished" Mahogany cups available on eBay for purchase.  They have about 10 pair listed (as of last evening).  $30 and free shipping along with the black screen included as well as foamy tape if you need it for the driver installation.

* I'm not affiliated with Vibro Labs in any way.  Just passing along something I noticed which might be beneficial to the group.  Also, they do have finished, "A" grade cups listed for sale, too.  It looks like about 10-pair being offered with a shipping guarantee prior to the upcoming Christmas holiday.  The cost is $95.00, with free shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back