OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS
Sep 3, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #46 of 242
Quote:
Koss KSC75s modded onto a headband, and with quarter-mod on its pads, are freakishly good. IMO more balanced-sounding and with better timbre than most headphones under $400.

Relative to headphones costing under $400 that I've recently auditioned or own, I prefer its sound over Audio Technica M50, Hifiman HE300, AKG Q701, YUIN G2A, Grado Sr60i, in no particular order. The only two headphones under $400 I've heard or own so far that trump these modded KSC75s are LFF's Paradox T50RP, and Hifiman HE400. Even then I really think these are more musical.

The clamping and proper seal induced by the headband does something with the KSC75's sound that is major and accidentally fantastic, bass is suddenly at a perfect level, mids become silky smooth, liquid, and almost perfectly neutral and clean as hell, treble gets tamed 2 notches but still retains a slight zing that makes acoustics and instruments pop. Theoretical headphones with this particular sound but with higher resolution and better extension, and tighter bass with a fuller body, would be perfect...pretty much akin to LCD3's sound.

I find them freakishly good as well. I have mine on the Parts-express headband, and replaced the plastic driver covers with metal mesh. I really like the slightly less clamping force with the Parts-express headband (I tried them on the Portapro headband for about a week).  It would be interesting to know how they sound compared to your modded pair (your mod is simpler).

At any rate, yes, they sound awesome. I also have PX100-II's which sound amazing in a completely different way, but I find myself listening to the KSC75's as much if not more. And while I wait to get higher end phones, these two pairs are keeping me happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I was surprised too. I've had my KSC75s for years now, never realized its true potential until I've actually gone quite a ways through this hobby, auditioning and buying lots of great (and not so great) headphones. The particular headband Ive clicked the KSC75s into at the moment is a Portapro headband that my friend gave to me when his portapro driver broke, it has the identical driver-securing mechanism as the KSC75 clips do. And the quarter mod is just cutting quarter-sized holes I cut out in the foam. Do NOT use other types of pleather pads, they actually offset the balanced nature of the sound a lot; the stock foam is the best.

I really think Koss could use the KSC75 drivers, make em into Grado-style on-ear sealed headband headphones, sell em for $200, and people will dig the sound a lot. Kind of what the "StratoKOSSer" is (on the full-sized headphones forum). The dangling earclip design just kills the potential of these little guys completely, what a shame.

The SstratoKOSSer's are indeed cool! Fwiw, another combo that I really liked was the Portapro drivers on the KSC75's earclips.

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #47 of 242
Without a doubt the three new top of the line phones by JVC>> FXD80 and FXD70 IEMs, and the S500 headphone. All three possess a new carbon nanotubes technology that will blow your socks off on what a dynamic can do with clarity and transparency, while still providing great mids, highs and solid bass.

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #48 of 242
My nicely burned in Klipsch S4's with Shure Foam Tips rock for $70 ? at BestBuy. The Shure Tips give a great seal that makes them sound even Better. You kinda have to Push the Shure tips on the Klipsch stem. But it's easy. Gives a great seal!

+1 to Shure SE215's They're GREAT Starter IEM's for anyone interested in getting into those kind of buds.

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #49 of 242
Bite me -- I'm an UE lover :)

My top 5 ---

1. UE700
  2. TF10
  3. UE600
  4. MTPC (paid $120)
  5. Hippo VB (SUPERB for hip hop listening)

+1 on UE but i wld switch one and two based on the fact the 700s cost the same as tf10 but i guess that all depends on sound preference.

Without a doubt the three new top of the line phones by JVC>> FXD80 and FXD70 IEMs, and the S500 headphone. All three possess a new carbon nanotubes technology that will blow your socks off on what a dynamic can do with clarity and transparency, while still providing great mids, highs and solid bass.

Based on what people are saying in the below thread alone i would almost have to add these to my top 5. Especially if they truly are gunna go for round 50 bucks in the us. Cant resist, gunna have to pull that trigger. Thank you headfi for "making" me spend more of my hard earned dosh.....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes

EDIT: I broke down.... Ordered a pair. Supposedly will be here in "3 to 4 days" all the way from Japan.

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #50 of 242
Quote:
Based on what people are saying in the below thread alone i would almost have to add these to my top 5. Especially if they truly are gunna go for round 50 bucks in the us. Cant resist, gunna have to pull that trigger. Thank you headfi for "making" me spend more of my hard earned dosh.....
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes

Sheesh, you're not kidding. I think that resistance might be futile for me also..

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #53 of 242
Any idea what to choose from those 2 : 

Sennheiser IE8

Bose MIE2I

Okay, let me just politely direct you to the recommendations thread and leave it that....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op/18750

Also please dont cross-post. You have already asked this same question in the above thread and started your own thread asking virtually the same thing.

(cross posting is a violation of head-fi terms and cond.)

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #55 of 242
List out AT LEAST one other higher priced, "higher teir" headphone that you feel the one you are suggesting solidly competes with (or blows out of the water as the case may be).
Thanx.

Etymotic MC5...

With it's 2 year warranty, great sound reproduction, tunable bass, and 50 dollar price point.

It blows away the problematic Yamaha EPH 100. Period.

IMHO, Jim

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #56 of 242
Mr. Doc Holliday

what about these : MEElectronics M6 / M6P .. i can see you haven't mentioned these outstanding iem's , and you can get them for u$ 22, they look, sound, isolate great... 

brg...

my IEMS
Shure srh440
Shure SE215
MEElectronics M6

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #57 of 242
se215
very nice, comfy, and quite isolating iem's for just around 85 bucks..
HD650 is also quite a choice for around 350-400 bucks giving the quality that provided by those cans that for some people would choose this baby over some more expense competitor
u can never go wrong hehee..

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #58 of 242
Mr. Doc Holliday

what about these : MEElectronics M6 / M6P .. i can see you haven't mentioned these outstanding iem's , and you can get them for u$ 22, they look, sound, isolate great... 

No i havent tried those. How would you personally rate those 22 dollar M6's up against your $100 se215's? Do they compete or just different all together?

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #59 of 242
No the m6 are bunk, the were good a few years back but there are a ton of iems that kick its ass at a similar price point.

I use them for the gym because the fit snug but apart from that the is much better out there even at its price point let alone at a higher price.

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #60 of 242
No the m6 are bunk, the were good a few years back but there are a ton of iems that kick its ass at a similar price point.

So i take it those M6s arent in your top 5 stozzer? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Tell us how u REALLY feel.

BTW yall, those JVC S500s shld be here from japan by fri. Really hoping they r gunna take over the number one slot on my list... Cant wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back