Orthodynamic Roundup
Aug 24, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #20,372 of 27,163
Quote:
have you ppl see this one on an auction ?

huehehehehee, yes..another ATH-2 OEMs i guess..
smily_headphones1.gif

That's a Swedish electronic/loudspeaker brand, prospering in the 1960s and 1970s. I've never seen, or heard about, this Luxor model. Great find! I sold my own ATH-2 pair recently, by the way. Prefer to mod other orthos.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #20,373 of 27,163
once sniped an ATH-2 OEM headphone... it had a dynamic driver inside... but the pads came in handy afterwards.

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #20,375 of 27,163
That's a Swedish electronic/loudspeaker brand, prospering in the 1960s and 1970s. I've never seen, or heard about, this Luxor model. Great find! I sold my own ATH-2 pair recently, by the way. Prefer to mod other orthos.

indeed, i prefer to keep other ortho as well, since ATH-2's are my first (branded) ortho back in the old days..
well, at least this is informative to be added to wikiphonia, i suppose?

Aug 25, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #20,376 of 27,163
Took the HOK 80-1 (modified slightly) and EQd it to match the modified HP-50S's frequency response. Mountains:

Black is the HOK 80 with EQ, baby kitten eye blue is HP-50S modded. Raw graphs; ear canal resonances but no pinna. I didn't apply compensation for the mic's response either, so these graphs are only useful for judging how close the two responses are to each other.

Clearly the HOK has trouble keeping its upper treble up, and I didn't bother trying to touch that. Couldn't. They also need massive bass boost to match even the somewhat lean HP-50S, but they take it well and I can't hear bottom-end distortion. The EQd bass may not be quite as punchy as on the -50, but it's not bad.

While the two measured responses agree pretty well, the EQd HOK sounds a bit off somehow... can't say how exactly. Might have something to do with the way the phones sit on the ear that doesn't show up in the graphs - I didn't use an artificial ear for these measurements.

It's a somewhat enjoyable sound regardless, the EQd HOK. And the one thing the HOK does better than the -50 is soundstage, which is curious, since I don't even have the HOKs open-backed (the pretty black disc is in). Both width and depth are slightly better on the HOK - a bit more natural a soundstage.

...But the -50 are more comfortable to wear.

On a side note, my HOKs are disintegrating elsewhere than just in the pads. The little knob that adjusts the headband came off - the screw had somehow decimated its grooves. Luckily, the HOK accepts duct tape well.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #20,377 of 27,163
Quote:
I listened to my first ortho. First thoughts : wow

What ortho was it?

VID :  some interesting results there, I guess it was some extreme eq'ing on them. When are you gonna splurge for some new pads on them.? They deserve it by now.
smile.gif

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #20,378 of 27,163
It's somewhat extreme, though neither the HOK nor -50 have any narrow peaks or dips that the other one doesn't have, so it's mostly a matter of bringing the overall balance of the HOK closer to the -50 (whose response is relatively neutral save for the overeager 3.5 kHz peak).

I'll get new pads some day. The beauty of the HOK is that they're cheap ($) and mostly not terribly impressive per se, so there's no pressure on the user to hastily invest undue money on them.

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #20,380 of 27,163
Quote:
Can somebody help me with getting new earpads for my Wharfedale Isodynamic headphone?

You might as well just install sanitary covers as I did, problem solved: 

I did the same to my yamies, so far so good: 

less earpad/pinna resonances, less earpads degradation, no headband cooking and you can clean them with alcohol every few days.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #20,382 of 27,163
well, my head is way too large to fit into whatever the ID1 or the ID2 and the former needs a speakers amp in order to provide any kind of serious bass so I let it go right away...but the earpads of the latter were utterly cooked and those covers definitely saved the day 
happy_face1.gif

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #20,384 of 27,163
Thanks for the advice on the mouldy smell with the HP-50A.

I wiped it using a microfiber cloth with half table vinegar and half distilled water mix, now the empty shell is sitting in front of the HeavenFresh ionizer for an hour. That should do it I hope.
Main cable and pads are garbaged that was half the problem right there.

On a side note anyone with a faded cable, as in older less flexible and not as rubbery as it used to be stock, I tackled one tonight with a fast wipedown using Mother's Back to Black automotive rubber restore/treatment. Seems to have helped, and I will leave it overnight and give it a good wipe with a clean cloth in case it didn't all get absorbed. They say it's only for outdoors but with such a trace amount it seems fine.
Worth a shot if you were considering a recable for that reason in the first place, nothing to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back