Orthodynamic Roundup
Jul 30, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #15,061 of 27,137
Ultrazino, nice idea but I have to pass. If I had the money I would make an offer.

In advance, may you have a joyous wedding day and many happy days to come. It is not very often you read about someone's wedding on Head-Fi.

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #15,062 of 27,137
Just got a pair of Pro 30's again.  Only headphones I have I can plug in now!  When i have some energy I am going to throw the Sony MDR V500 pads on them and start adding some felt.

Jul 31, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #15,063 of 27,137
Wow. I am absolutely overwhelmed by this thread.

I decided to keep my Yamaha YH-2, but I realized that I would need to dampen and mod it for it to reach full potential.

I cut out a few felt rings for dampening, but that's the farthest I've gotten.

I did figure out how to open up the headphones, and inside, I found some circular foam and a few quarter-circles of foam.

Could someone please give me the low-down of how to dampen and mod the headphones properly?

Should I get rid of the existing foam, which is still in good condition?

Pictures would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!
Leon

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #15,064 of 27,137
Have you seen wikiphonia and used ludoo's search engine?  I am sure you will find answers there.

I am now just trying to decide if I want to make the Pro 30's open back or not...

Aug 1, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #15,067 of 27,137
Thanks! I'm eagerly awaiting it. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
uuh, updating my HP-1 damping scheme. I'll upload some pictures later.

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #15,068 of 27,137
Here are some pictures of the latest incarnations of my damping schemes for the HP-1. Maybe it could help you with your YH-2:

I replaced the tack in the center with dynamat. Serves the same purpose, fancier material. Tack is fine. The point here is to mass damp the enclosure so that it is less resonant. Apply tack on the rim liberally to provide good seal with baffle. A thin layer of tack is also present between the baffle and the driver. This prevent bass from leaking away.

This time I also attached weatherstrip foam to the driver hoping to provide additional mechanical damping; its entirely optional, and after comparison between one driver with foam on the side and one without, I can say that I cannot tell the difference between the two. It might be because I've been using my ears too much. Regardless, Its a good filler material in that otherwise empty space anyways. 

Not shown in the pictures is a layer of superfelt behind the driver. That's all for acoustical damping. Nothing fancy. If you found the treble in quantities more than your liking, Try a disc of fiberglass instead. If you want moar treble, add a reflex dot, or a strip of micropore/transpore instead. You could see the differential damping scheme at the background. Try that using fiberglass/superfelt to see if you like that. 

Anyways, there's a ton of things to try. Experiment, experiment, and experiment more. There really is no "best" damping scheme. Just things you can do to get the sound signature you enjoy.

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #15,070 of 27,137
k so as per everyone's suggestions I've now acquired the T50RP rather than a lower model.

Before I actually got them, I thought the housing looked pretty lame-- visually unappealing, and a seemingly weak cup attachment method. Now that I have the actual headphones I have to reverse that entirely. The build quality on these things is extremely nice, and they don't look too bad at all when you're wearing them. Consequently I now feel somewhat reluctant to go ahead and abandon the original housing. ;_; oh well, it can't be helped

As for actual use, they sound fairly good stock (but I'm really unqualified to judge). Not really as good as my old Pro 30 though, in any area. Even comfort, which I never thought I'd be saying, since I always hated the supra pads on the Pro 30. The pads on the T50RP are totally surrounding my ears but not really exerting pressure on my head, so my ears are being crushed against the baffle. feels bad man. It's pretty much intolerable after 20 minutes, so I really need to find some new pads soon.

I took the cups apart and applied dampening basically similar to the standard method on wikiphonia (felt on the driver, a blob of cotton, felt on the vent, a lot of plastiscine clay along the inside of the cups). result = ULTRA FAIL. It's like the aural equivalent of applying some kind of contrast/sharpening filter over everything. The whole spectrum sounds 'punchier' and more distinct, and I can't explicitly discern what's not there, but I can't shake the feeling that stuff's missing. It definitely sounds cleaner now (everything was slightly muddied together before, plastic resonance is gone now) but it sounds less interesting overall. Pro 30 still wins by a lot-- it's punchy and clear without losing details.

I'm going to remove the wad of cotton and the pad of felt on the vent in the T50RP and replace it with fish foam. The main problem with the stock state was the resonance in the housing, which was dealt with by the clay, and extra damping beyond a basic level of felt might be unnecessary for me. I'll find out soon enough, anyway.

still need to do something about those pads though. gah

meanwhile, have this bad photo of the T50RP page from a silly anime-headphone-girl book I've got >_>;

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #15,071 of 27,137
So, hey, while I'm only dealing with one sample of 120 Ohm SFI's , the 120's seem to be much more bass heavy. My 120's had about twice the damping I had to put on my Pro 30's or my latest SFI jobbie, but still had a really laid back sound, and I was missing a lot of the treble details.

I need to install my second pair of 32's in the Koss K6/x to verify, though.

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #15,073 of 27,137
I think it does affect the quantity of the treble boost, but it also lowers the minimum frequency affected by it. Maybe you're not comparing significantly different reflex dots, or you might need to dampen it further, first.

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #15,075 of 27,137
Just remember that when the tuning effort fails, or one just wants some variation, then there is always.... cheating....

Here, I for instance increase that really deep bass on the LCD-1 a bit. I don't want to mess with it permanently, because it sounds spectacular as it is too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back