Orthodynamic Roundup
Jul 22, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #15,046 of 27,158
I remember you removed the protective cloth, did something get in there? Anyways, I've found virtually no difference between the two versions, but then I've only tested on my Millet minimax amp. If you need some new drivers I got one too many in my room, I could spare a set if you need them.

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #15,047 of 27,158
Thanks for the offer, but I just shot on a set of the 32 Ohms. And, no, nothing is in there that I can see. It just seems so totally random, I dunno.

But then, I now have a 32 Ohm driver from my broken ATH-2's, and a 120 Ohm driver. Channel imbalance FTW! Psst, I broke the second ATH-2 driver in a freak accident, it's not the same problem. There's a screwdriver-sized hole in it, providing a clear explanation of why it doesn't work.

Jul 24, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #15,048 of 27,158
Been trying out some durapore in my damping scheme for the TPs. Actually have all three, Transpore, durapore and micropore up against the drivers now. I am quite liking the durapore. It seems to fall inbetween the other two in terms of damping strength.

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #15,049 of 27,158

Quote:
Been trying out some durapore in my damping scheme for the TPs. Actually have all three, Transpore, durapore and micropore up against the drivers now. I am quite liking the durapore. It seems to fall inbetween the other two in terms of damping strength.

sachu, how do you rate the soundstage of your Wharfie zebs compared to your previous wharfedale isodynamic?

by judging the closed zebra housing, the soundstage should be more narrow i suppose..

deadhorse.gif
deadhorse.gif

Jul 28, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #15,050 of 27,158
I found an orthodynamic stereo headphone called "HOK 80" yesterday. Google says it's from 1986. Just checked to see if they worked and they do. The pads burst open but other than that they're in a good condition. Still with the package.

Anybody interested?

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #15,052 of 27,158
Quote:
have pics?

Sure:

I just listened to some Peter Cincotti with these. I'm surprised by the clarity and the balanced sound. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody would prefer these over my Ultrasones.

These have a lot/enough bass, btw, so I reckon they're HOK 80 v2? Apparently not. I don't know much about these, just spent 10 minutes with Google.

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #15,053 of 27,158
Which one of them? The V1 or the V2?
EDIT: It's the V1.
EDIT: Very few people have heard the V1.  How about deep bass?

Quote:
I found an orthodynamic stereo headphone called "HOK 80" yesterday. Google says it's from 1986. Just checked to see if they worked and they do. The pads burst open but other than that they're in a good condition. Still with the package.

Anybody interested?

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #15,054 of 27,158
Funny story.. I saw this ad.. and thought at first glance.. OK where are the headphones? I think I need professional help.
blink.gif

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #15,055 of 27,158
Quote:
As you say, I mean that many orthodynamic headphones need to warm up if you want the best performance of those.
Especially, the very tight high becomes soft and warm after warming up.        

That' s something the Euro Yammy Wing members (as in, Kabeer and me) have discussed a few times: I noticed with most of my Yamahas that the sound gets warmer and the top end becomes less harsh after they have played a few minutes.

Quote:
HP50 serial numbers

Can anyone place these Yamahas in time and space - Ludoo, Kabeer?

HP50 / 710648 (the "1" may be an "I")

HP50S / 2Y0510

The serial numbers we have recorded are here

https://docs.google.com/View?id=atbtkh437j4_17g96nhxc4

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #15,056 of 27,158
^^Hmm, I have noticed that too but I always thought it was due to warming up of my amplifier rather than a change in headphones.

Could also just be the brain adjusting to brighter sound after a few minutes. Wasn't the dictum for tuning orthos to pick up if something is wrong in the first few seconds itself ?

Jul 30, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #15,058 of 27,158
Ultrazino, this obscure headphone looks interesting. Will you be at the Head-Fi meet in Berlin? I would be cool if you could compare it with the other headphones there.

P.S. Post 1500, a new mile stone...

Jul 30, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #15,059 of 27,158
Quote:
Will you be at the Head-Fi meet in Berlin?

Is this the one on September 11th? If so, then definitely not as my marriage will be on that day! :)

But I guess I can do the following since I don't know much about them anyway and I'm not sure if my Zero Dac 09 (OPA627) can drive them enough anyway: I'll make them available for you all:
I'll send them to whomever lives closest (anybody from Germany?) and he can try them out, mod them (replace ear pads or whatever, if he likes to) and he can pass them on to whomever wants to try them next. They seem very sturdy and it looks like only rain could kill them.
I'll just want them to return home someday so my children can try them out! 
beyersmile.png

So, who wants to be first? I'm sure we can work out shipping somehow and we can discuss whether it's useful to use the original package.

Jul 30, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #15,060 of 27,158
Ultrazino, you've got something special there...The cups (and, from your description of the sound, the drivers inside them) are from the HOK 80-2. The box, headband and arch are from the first version of the HOK 80. Looks like someone did a little swapperoo, but it's to your advantage, since the 80-2 definitely has more bass.

Note that it doesn't say HOK 80 anywhere on your headphone. On the 2 this was molded into the plastic arch. On the 1 it was included in the labels on the L and R cups. As former member of Team Ortho facelvega pointed out, the makeup-free girl on the box of the 1 is more virtuous than the lipstick-wearing sireen on the box of the 2. So you've got the best of both.

Well, one disadvantage: the 2's arch allows the cups to pivot fore and aft, affording a significant increase in wearing comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back