Orthodynamic Roundup
Jul 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #15,031 of 27,158

[size=medium]
Well, slip of the hand and its a finger or thumb poking right into the back, or if they fall onto something or something falls into them.
[/size]

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #15,032 of 27,158

Quote:

Well, slip of the hand and its a finger or thumb poking right into the back, or if they fall onto something or something falls into them.

Not if you glued the cloth on to the back, besides, speaker cloth would work well in this application. It would be easier to work with too. If he really wanted to upgrade in the future, he could just rip it off. :p

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #15,033 of 27,158
Those T50LP's sure are one of a kind. 
smily_headphones1.gif
. Beautiful black touches, polished subterranean cougar rims and headband leather so smooth looking, that you can simply eat off :)

So have the DT990/600's finally met their makers? Or is it the other way around?

Only time will tell
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #15,036 of 27,158
Quote:
I think the leaky pants should be called thundershorts...
rolleyes.gif

If the driver housings/ear cup shapes would be square they would be called square pants, 'thundershorts' l.o.l.

The names you give to these headphones... 

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #15,038 of 27,158
While we're waiting for the Indexing Ninja to reply, help him out a bit by tying the overall sound character of your two 'phones to those serial numbers. Then he/we can determine if there was a gradual re-think of the sound as production progressed.

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #15,040 of 27,158
hey guys,

was it ever determined if all of the current-production fostex use the same driver? I know they have slightly different specs, but the variation could be the result of the different housings. I also recall seeing the same part listed as the replacement driver for all models.

I'm only interested in the drivers (to embed in my own housing) so if I can save some golds by getting a T20 instead of a T50 it'd be pretty awesome

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #15,041 of 27,158
The leakypants I tried weren't lacking bass, they sounded boxy and plasticy for want of a better description. I don't think the driver will ever work well as a truly open design, they will always need some damping. I haven't had time to do extensive tests but the amount of damping they may need could well negate their openness. I guess a lot will depend on what you consider good sound as we all hear differently. For me it wasn't too promising, hopefully kabs can get good results. I'll probably go back to experimenting when I have more time.

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #15,042 of 27,158

Quote:
hey guys,

was it ever determined if all of the current-production fostex use the same driver? I know they have slightly different specs, but the variation could be the result of the different housings. I also recall seeing the same part listed as the replacement driver for all models.

I'm only interested in the drivers (to embed in my own housing) so if I can save some golds by getting a T20 instead of a T50 it'd be pretty awesome

I suspect the T20 driver is a little different than a T50 driver, but you could probably tune T20s to say 85% of the sound sig of a T50, but the T20s complete were only $20 cheaper, so I'd be inclined to just buy the T50s from Amazon.  Smeggy uses the T50 headband, so unless you have a donor headband, you need the whole headphone.  Plus Fostex customer service is notoriously bad, so again, I'd play it safe and just buy a new T50 unless you found the T20 drivers elsewhere and know they have them in stock.

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #15,043 of 27,158
I'm with BMF on this one. Even though Fostex listed only the part # of the T50RP driver as a replacement for any of the newer Fosteces, popping open the back of a recent T20RP Mk II reveals a driver that looks different, and the sound is different (as in: not as good) too. Whether this is due to some earpad trick or special quality-sucking materials tucked away inside the T20RP is impossible to know for certain. You'd have to swap drivers to be really sure. But my gut tells me the drivers are different. Thus I agree with BMF: get the T50RP. That way all the experiments start from a known point.

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #15,044 of 27,158
Hey, one of my SFI's just failed, and I have no idea what happened. I mean, the right side still works fine from the same wires, but the left side is unbelievably quiet. There's also a hum that's equally faint. I desoldered the right side, and soldered the cables to the left side to test, and same result. I have been doing some soldering on it recently, but since I ruined my T20's, I've been uber-careful about it.

This is more a public lament than a request for help, but any help offered would be appreciated -- I'm just doubtful that help can be given.

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #15,045 of 27,158
Oh, also, for replacement procurement, what's the difference between the 32 ohm and 120 ohm versions, as applies to PMP's? Is there a significant one, and is there much of a difference when sufficiently amped?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back