Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 10, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #13,007 of 27,137
You have to try the 02 pads without the stock on. Anyway I find the treble a bit too much in that configuration, no echoes either.

I didn't even bother trying 02 pads on top of the stock as I anticipated bad effects.

I think a solution between the stock pads and my aiwa ones would
be my optimum (or tbh just
keeping stock pads on)

I believe spritzer is right on the Amping
thing. All the big driver orthos could do with the same.

Jan 11, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #13,008 of 27,137
Have been a little distracted at work today but I think much of what was needed to be said already has.

1. We know variation exists
2. We all hear differently so those with poor hearing should just take my word for it ;P
3. Ortho's need a good amp - many variations on the theme here and refer to 2.

I pulled back on the damping on Marc's T50 as noted. Damping it any harder narrowed the soundstage and reduced the resonance of the bass ( not the depth - still go plenty deep but I like a HP to have some rumble )

time to start etching our own 75mm drivers, or keep prodding the venerable new manufacturers to release a HP that is tweakable.

..dB

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #13,009 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah, no rattling. If we can't challenge one another, and challenge one another's challenges, the learning curve flatlines. Anyone is perfectly welcome to assume I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. In fact, I hope you do-- there's no substitute for trying these ideas out and drawing your own conclusions. Whatever works, works. Don't take my word for it, go out and find the information and bring it back, and don't be surprised (or rattled) if I challenge something that I think doesn't hold water.

Leaving aside the taxonomic considerations of the T50, I have no good explanation for the implied difference between the sound of my v1 and luvdunhill's. I wish we could get them in the same room and compare. What I will say is that mine was well cared for but also used well, which is to say, a lot. So the difference could even be diaphragm tension and/or "burn-in". See the wrinkles in the Kapton on the Japanese-auction T50? Something like that might have happened to LD's or mine to change the effective diaphragm tension. And who would be surprised at a running production change or even iffy quality control? But I don't think it's the earpads, not this time. Keep in mind that the Maior sounded just like my v1 from the bass up through the midrange and only diverged in the treble.

EDIT:

If his T50v1 obviously needed damping, then it was quite definitely different from mine, and I'd have to fall back on production variations to explain it. On the other hand, Spritzer had one too and from his descriptions I'd've guessed his sounded like mine. So which is the odd one out? We don't know.

I have to agree with Wualta here.

Aside from rather large manufacturing variations by today's standards, the T50sV1/v2/NAD haave a relatively large magnet mass with a large diaphragm area and a very small cup volume.

Add that to well known ortho attributes of power thirst and source/amp sensitivity, then stir in the key point Wualt just touched on. Use, storage, cable damage, and environmental (i.e., temperatures and humidity levels and variations in homes around the world) and I think we're trying to generalize a single root cause when ALL factors are in play.

A well used T50 from a heavy smoker's (or toker's) past is going to sound far different from somebody's lightly used, Silica Gel stored, boxed, shelf-queen just from pad decay in the smoker's set alone.

I need an example of all of them, the T50v1, T50v2, SS100, Major, whatever, all variations except the NAD as I already have that. We'll have to complete a barrage of quantitative and qualitative analysis tests on diaphragm tension, magnet mass, cable copper oxidation, DCR, impedance, capacitance, flux densities, etc. Then I need you guys to fund the purchase of O2 pads for all the cans and we'll have to recable all of them to 8-wire Alpha SPC MIL-SPEC Teflon cables with 4-pin Neutrik plugs so I can tune all of them equally with identical mass and diameter dampening materials to be identical to my RP18s. After all that analysis, "we" can audition and listen to them. Finally noting any significant differences between them. I'll do this for the collective good of the ortho world. It's a sacrifice, but I'm willing to make.
beerchug.gif
I guess I'd have to send them to the next owner in the group until all the cans have gone around the world and everyone has had a listen to "identical" cans. Then everyone can retune to their preferences after the around the world audition is over and the last tester has shipped everything back to the original owner.

But wait, before we start, I have to get two other cans modded to take the place of my RP18s or I'll miss them too much.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
time to start etching our own 75mm drivers, or keep prodding the venerable new manufacturers to release a HP that is tweakable.

..dB

I think there is still much untapped potential in the current T20s and T50s before we have to develop our own drivers. And that doesn't include the LCD-2s, though I like the price point of the T20 much better but will withhold final judgment until I get to audition a set of LCD-2s, or even better, tune and pad roll a set!

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #13,010 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Troopers, can you take a macro photo to see between the magnet slits of your spare parts SS100 drivers which were described as '77mm', which coincidently are how some of the Japanese large driver orthos were described.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If another SS100 owner has already removed the biscuit before and doesn't mind please show a photo of a peek inside the magnet slits.
(and troopers too, as you have the only other spare set of SS100 drivers we know of)

dont worry, already forward the message to Trooper and he said he would do it if he had spare times...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #13,011 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rs. And that doesn't include the LCD-2s, though I like the price point of the T20 much better but will withhold final judgment until I get to audition a set of LCD-2s, or even better, tune and pad roll a set!

Don't forget the LCD-1. It's a rather cheap option at 400 usd (if it goes in production again). The LCD-1 driver pumps out massive amounts of bass. It's just that a lot of it is spent on creating a fine headstage by leaking music (with bass cancellation) both here and there around the headset. (Ending up with bass that's not so strong...)

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #13,014 of 27,137
check this local find out!

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #13,016 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nice score! I'm aware of others out there, just none that the studios are willing to part with.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Edit: Bah! I thought the pads looked funny. Eyes must not be what they used to be...

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #13,018 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice score! I think that raises the known number of T10s to 15 or 16. I'm aware of others out there, just none that the studios are willing to part with.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Look more like T20v1s to me.

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #13,019 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look more like T20v1s to me.

u win a cookie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back