Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 9, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #12,976 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a safe bet, I'll be selling more than buying in 2010. The only headphone I know I'll buy is a pro bias Stax. I need to sell 10-20 headphones.

Even after that, you will still have more headphones than me.
tongue.gif

And I'm serious about not buying any headphones in 2010. I have everything I could possibly want in terms of headphones, except an arc assembly for my Lambda, some Stax cables and earpads, and a couple other odds and ends. I might've been interested in a new AKG flagship but 1) it doesn't seem like it will appear in CES 2010 2) it'll most likely not be a K1000 successor and 3) it'll most likely not be an ortho.

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #12,977 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even after that, you will still have more headphones than me.
tongue.gif

And I'm serious about not buying any headphones in 2010. I have everything I could possibly want in terms of headphones, except an arc assembly for my Lambda, some Stax cables and earpads, and a couple other odds and ends. I might've been interested in a new AKG flagship but 1) it doesn't seem like it will appear in CES 2010 2) it'll most likely not be a K1000 successor and 3) it'll most likely not be an ortho.

4) or electrostatic...
duggehsmile.png

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #12,979 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a safe bet, I'll be selling more than buying in 2010. The only headphone I know I'll buy is a pro bias Stax. I need to sell 10-20 headphones.

Send me a PM with what you plan to sell, I'd like pre-sale browsing privileges.

beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #12,981 of 27,161

Enter the Japanese Fostex T50. Introduced to the Japanese market in the latter part of 1975 (according to Japanese sources).

4260102063_5944c2b8e6_b.jpg

What is interesting you say? Previously we thought this was a 'T50v2', but in fact, it seems that this predates what we call the T50v1.

So what would the 1980 Fostex be? Possibly the 'German' T50 I posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5631649-post10247.html . I cannot confirm it, but it is a different headphone as we shall see below.

Unlike the German pair, the Japanese T50 shares a visually identical driver to the V1/NAD/Maior. It also has the same damping pucks.
Left .................................................. .............................................. Right

Opening up the driver:

Sound:
It less dark than the NAD. And bass is quite in control in stock form, it doesnt leak everywhere in the spectrum. Overall the sound is v.flat, the only thing i'd comment is maybe the final treble extention is a bit limp.
Overall from my experience of other vintage T50 style drivers (and descriptions of T50v1 sound I have heard so far) I would guess this is the same as the one in the NA T50v1.
(Wualta, if this is the case then it would go against your theory of a special NA model to suit electrostatic fan tastes).

So there you go! It's another piece in the puzzle! This is the original T50. What shall we call it now? Either just Fostex T50, or T50v0 to go along with the system we have now.

NB:
To catalogue the important points about this headphone in relation to the others in the series:
It has the same general frame as the NAD/Maior (with embossed writing on the cups).
It has a dual entry cotton cord, terminated to a Metal plug (unlike the others). But Tyres T50v1, my Aiwa, and SS-100's have cotton cords too.
It has what I think is the same driver tuning as the NA 1978 T50.
It has the standard T50/NAD/Maior damping.

Btw the German pair I had was also tuned higher than the NAD. But it has a different driver, and a sligghtly different sound.

PS: T50v1 owners, try out some Stax O2 pads on these babies
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #12,983 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just curious can you describe how much are the different (on their sound wise) from T20v2 & that germany T50v2, i see on your profile about the T20v2...
popcorn.gif

Hi, to took me a while to sit down and compare them.
First just to give some independed comparison - I used the page Equal loudness contours and... to set both headphones at the same level.
Here are the results:
FT50v2.jpg

FT20v2.jpg

This is not any measurement, if you read the page you'll see what's the idea. But it is very good starting point to compare 2 different headphones regarding frequency response curve shape.
Additionally I could say that for me T20 are darker yet with hights more subtle and in general they sound warmer, more relaxing.
T50 go down a litte lower and the real low end of bass is much stronger but whole bass range is rather tight and drier that in T20.
Now speaking about soundstage (or like some say headstage),... hmm, IMHO T20s are better. Compaing to T50 sound gets more into your head from sides but at the same time it gives for me better location. It takes longer time to build and image of the stage in T50 but in T20 you get it immediately.
I prefer T50 for rock type of music (T20 give for me a slightly muddy sound when there is too much sound / instruments in bass range) but for accoustic or jazz I find T20 slightly more interesting.
T20v2 are very good headpones... I'd say based of what I have heard so far they are sound for me "the most Fostex" way.

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #12,984 of 27,161
Good job Kabeer!
smily_headphones1.gif

So for now we are sure that:
- T50 were released in 1975 in Japan as single headband design
- OEMs are based on original japanese version
- in 1977 T50 were introduced in NA and since then it was double headband design and the drivers were still the same
- then, as you say 'german' version (I own presently) finally apperared with redesigned diaphragm more similar to Akai ASE-50 or T30 (coil paths are not rounded but turn sharp and cover more diaphragm)

I don't know if anybody has picture of SS-100 drivers, they seem also to have the sharp design of path, based on brochure).
Now the weirdest thing I noticed right before the moment. I measured the impedance it is higher than normal - 83 and 91 Ohms... so the drivers meant to be probably some 90 or 85 Ohms!
confused_face(1).gif
Actually when you look at their diaphragm the coil is rather longer (it is more of it on the same surface).
The so called v2 I own are a real mistery.

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #12,985 of 27,161
@ Kabeer:
wow,great job buddy..now we know that T50 japanese are the one that been cloned with OEMs like maior,NAD and so on..and the german T50s are the latest version,so we called T50v2 and i agree the japanese should call T50v0..

now how about you,Sim1 and wualta (and tyre too?) sit together make a deep comparison about each T50 that available. And please complete the result here with side by side picts..

@ Sim1:
thanks for the answer&the freq graphics, so between both of em theres lil different (just like on K500 to K400). 1's good for rock&the other one more suit to jazz. I listen alot of speed metal but still listen another genre like radiohead,mew or l'arc~en~ciel..and T20v2 sound beautiful with em all,but just as you had says this pretty good with jazz..
smily_headphones1.gif

1 more question, did your T20v2 still on stock form when do that comparison or you never leave any of em stock?
popcorn.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #12,986 of 27,161
Nice job with the detective work, Kabeer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer
It less dark than the NAD. And bass is quite in control in stock form, it doesnt leak everywhere in the spectrum. Overall the sound is v.flat, the only thing i'd comment is maybe the final treble extention is a bit limp.
Overall from my experience of other vintage T50 style drivers (and descriptions of T50v1 sound I have heard so far) I would guess this is the same as the one in the NA T50v1.
(Wualta, if this is the case then it would go against your theory of a special NA model to suit electrostatic fan tastes).

Yup that sounds pretty much like the T50 I heard. Though I wouldn't call it flat stock, it is much less bass heavy than the NAD. So do tell, what does it sound like with O2 pads?

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #12,987 of 27,161
Kabeer, did you manage to get an image of a 1975 brochure showing a photo of a Fostex-branded T50 from the J-Wiki guy(s)?

I don't know precisely what you mean by "final treble extention", but the T50v1 I have does not lack for treble extension.

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #12,988 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sim1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if anybody has picture of SS-100 drivers, they seem also to have the sharp design of path, based on brochure).

The sketch in the brochure does seem to imply the sharp-cornered style of voice coil, but as ericj showed us, there was at least one SS-100 driver with a voice coil pattern virtually identical to the T50's. Those photos are of drivers bought as NOS spare parts, so it's possible there was an earlier design with sharp corners, but there's plenty of precedent for not trusting all the details in brochures, too.

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #12,989 of 27,161
Thanks guys, I so love the detective work
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now how about you,Sim1 and wualta (and tyre too?) sit together make a deep comparison about each T50 that available. And please complete the result here with side by side picts..

Hah, that would be great, except we live in different parts of the world
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sim1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now the weirdest thing I noticed right before the moment. I measured the impedance it is higher than normal - 83 and 91 Ohms... so the drivers meant to be probably some 90 or 85 Ohms!
confused_face(1).gif
Actually when you look at their diaphragm the coil is rather longer (it is more of it on the same surface).
The so called v2 I own are a real mistery.

Yes I noted this too. The higher impedance is surely because it has longer traces covering more of the diaphragm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kabeer, did you manage to get an image of a 1975 brochure showing a photo of a Fostex-branded T50 from the J-Wiki guy(s)?

I don't know precisely what you mean by "final treble extention", but the T50v1 I have does not lack for treble extension.

Nope, I did not, but I was impatient to wait for it
wink.gif
. From what he tells me though in his Japanese magazine the T50 was available in 1975. I have no reason to distrust that.
But of course it would be so much cooler for us to see it personally.

As for the treble extention I dont have a kHz figure just a general feeling from listening to a few songs. Cymbals for instance are still there well enough.
In fact I spoke to Don, (and read the descriptions from others who had posted hearing them), luvdunhill's pair was said to lack some upper treble too.

As to why your T50 doesnt lack the final extension, I have a few working theories.
1) You have a different production 'v1', because from the cable differences I showed you it is possible there were more than a few design changes...(but from my experience of the Japanese one I would now say this is the less likely possibility for the sound difference).
2) All of our hearing differences (again i'll place this a lower probability).
3) This is the one im gonna go with: Earpads!

First of all, the T50v0 has the flat thick pleather NAD style pads. I have not felt T50v1 pads, but from what I am aware, they are a bit different right?

To the differences between your pair, and luvdunhill's, my educated guess would be that your earpads are more worn out than his.
Its the YH-1000 worn pad effect.
Do you remember my Aiwa earpads? im going to hazard a guess that your T50v1 pads are inbetween NAD and my Aiwa pads (ie you have thin pleather that has started to crack), because the cracks in the thin pleather make the pad slightly leaky, and this elevates treble response in the mix.
When I put the Aiwa pads on my T50v0 the treble response ups, I feel no want for treble at all.

If possible could you take a macro of your v1 pads, with & without flash to bring out any cracks?
It would be good i luvdunhill could do the same too. His pair has been played around with so maybe they might have started wearing too now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So do tell, what does it sound like with O2 pads?

The O2 pads allows the full baffle aperture to ring out. As well as placing the driver further away which in turn makes the headstaging seem bigger. It opens up the treble quite a bit, actually a hint too much for me and my tastes.

Quote:

The sketch in the brochure does seem to imply the sharp-cornered style of voice coil, but as ericj showed us, there was at least one SS-100 driver with a voice coil pattern virtually identical to the T50's. Those photos are of drivers bought as NOS spare parts, so it's possible there was an earlier design with sharp corners, but there's plenty of precedent for not trusting all the details in brochures, too.

How did I miss this! Sim1 or another SS-100 owner, have you ever peeked into the magnets of your driver? From my experience of looking into the magnet slits of a T30, you should be able to immediately tell if it has a T30 or T50 style serpentine pattern inside.

Wualta/eric: This SS-100 spare driver, how confirmed is it, that is actually a SS100 spare driver?
I see it as follows:
1) SS-100 had two different drivers like the T50 did
2) That driver is not an SS-100 one, but rather a driver for one of the Japanese large driver orthos.

Troopers, can you take a macro photo to see between the magnet slits of your spare parts SS100 drivers which were described as '77mm', which coincidently are how some of the Japanese large driver orthos were described.

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #12,990 of 27,161
Quote:

[...]Those photos are of drivers bought as NOS spare parts, so it's possible there was an earlier design with sharp corners, but there's plenty of precedent for not trusting all the details in brochures, too.

Oh, thanks for the link to ericj's post. Yesterday, I was trying to find any photo of SS-100... I rememberd I had seen it somewhere before but I did not find it...
So the voice coil definitely looks like T50's one. I think then that drawing in the SS-100 brochure does not reflect real shape of voice coil. It's just a sketch.

@Kabeer,
I guess SS-100 had just one type of driver... but that is good idea to look there, I'll get back asap if I can see anything there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back