Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 13, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #13,036 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. Same diameter?

yes- they fit very well actually.

i am very impressed with the build quality of the t20. i will do some comparisons with other vintage studio monitor headphones i have.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #13,037 of 27,158
Dan, welcome to Head-Fi.

The advice you're getting from DefectiveAudioComponent is good: don't throw away any part of the ТДС-15. You may be able to repair it. I don't think anyone on this thread knows where to get another ТДС-15.

But someone might be willing to sell the one they have.

Jan 15, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #13,038 of 27,158
finally did some damping on one of the t20s. used a foam circle. there is already a foam pad in the cups. bass tightened up, but treble went down. will try soething else

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #13,039 of 27,158
I know the T40RPMKII isn't well thought of here, but I couldn't resist picking up a pair tonite when I found them on the 'bargain table' at a local retailer. I read Wualta's abridged post from waaaay back where he talks about the pad change in 2008 reinvigorating the bass impact on the 'mkII' phones, but the thing that stands out to me is how little fatigue I am experiencing listening to metal atm. I can see why Fostex would target these at studio users, and there is an 'other worldly' quality to them that's hard to describe. Strongly suspect that they are better suited to the softer stuff than material like DevilDriver, but making that call on brand new cans is premature. The T50RP MKII were also discounted, but still considerably more than I was prepared to pay for a 'toe in the water'.

I'll give them a hundred hours or so and revisit this thread - its just too big to read from start to finish !

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #13,040 of 27,158
This One is mine, the first ortho in my collection: Telefunken TH 700 with PMB Driver Inside

5.JPG

I'm sure they will sound good when i get them...
beyersmile.png

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #13,042 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, that 'funken looks pretty good in an ear-crushing way
smily_headphones1.gif

Keep us updated on them.

Will do, no problem, i think the post-man should knock at my door any minute.

But i dont have a Din-jack adapter. I sold all of them with my old k141
frown.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #13,043 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by NuBreed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This One is mine, the first ortho in my collection: Telefunken TH 700 with PMB Driver Inside

5.JPG

I'm sure they will sound good when i get them...
beyersmile.png

Welcome to the ortho thread!

The TH700 will most likely sound good with some new pads on (the pads should be covered with pleather). (I have not heard the TH700, but my PMB orthos all sound fine.) You will also probably need to seal it better to the baffle, if it is the usual PMB work. There is also probably a very thick damping pad inside. If you want more bass, you can try to replace it with something thinner. And when you are inside, do take a picture! I am very curious about what PMB driver is inside your TH700 (it might be the same as in Wualtas pair, but then again maybe not).

The TH700 doesn't show up every day. Where did you find it?

Jan 15, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #13,044 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know the T40RPMKII isn't well thought of here, but I couldn't resist picking up a pair tonite when I found them on the 'bargain table' at a local retailer.

i had one for a while. slightly modded with vent holes and foam pad inside. ithought it did well. great detail, soundstage, very decent bass

Jan 15, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #13,045 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the ortho thread!

The TH700 will most likely sound good with some new pads on (the pads should be covered with pleather). (I have not heard the TH700, but my PMB orthos all sound fine.) You will also probably need to seal it better to the baffle, if it is the usual PMB work. There is also probably a very thick damping pad inside. If you want more bass, you can try to replace it with something thinner. And when you are inside, do take a picture! I am very curious about what PMB driver is inside your TH700 (it might be the same as in Wualtas pair, but then again maybe not).

The TH700 doesn't show up every day. Where did you find it?

I got them from local polish auction site called Allegro.pl
30$ with shipping.
I have to rejack them with Neutrik 6,3mm jack. Also i Think about new silver plated cables. My friend told me that i can put some wool inside of them, but i think that bitumic tape would be better to decrease space in earcups.

Most likely there is a PMB8 driver inside
Telefunken TH-700 - Wikiphonia

more pics of them:
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

smile_phones.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #13,046 of 27,158
Quote:

I got them from local polish auction site called Allegro.pl
30$ with shipping.
I have to rejack them with Neutrik 6,3mm jack. Also i Think about new silver plated cables. My friend told me that i can put some wool inside of them, but i think that bitumic tape would be better to decrease space in earcups.

Most likely there is a PMB8 driver inside
Telefunken TH-700 - Wikiphonia

Yes, there will be a PMB driver inside, the question is which one....
Sometimes, PMB used different drivers for the same headphone. (in the Grundig 224 and the PMB100, so far).

Recable is probably a good idea. I will try that with my PMB made orthos.

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #13,047 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, there will be a PMB driver inside, the question is which one....
Sometimes, PMB used different drivers for the same headphone. (in the Grundig 224 and the PMB100, so far).

Recable is probably a good idea. I will try that with my PMB made orthos.

Probably PMB 8 driver, but we will never know unless we compare them side by side.

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #13,048 of 27,158
i will take pics of drivers when i open them.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #13,049 of 27,158
Quote:

i will take pics of drivers when i open them.

Great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably PMB 8 driver, but we will never know unless we compare them side by side.

And we would have to find a PMB 8 first. So far, none has shown up here.

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #13,050 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know the T40RPMKII isn't well thought of here, but ... the thing that stands out to me is how little fatigue I am experiencing listening to metal atm. ... there is an 'other worldly' quality to them that's hard to describe.
I'll give them a hundred hours or so and revisit this thread - its just too big to read from start to finish !

I finally got hold of a T40RPMkII myself and slapped the new-style pads from my T50RPMkII on it and found the sound to be very nice, better than I expected, though the bass wasn't anything to tell the world about. "Polite" is often a pejorative, but in this case it isn't. So I think I understand what you mean about metal vs. softer stuff. There may be hidden depths to the '40 as-is, and it might be a good candidate for the Surgical Transplant style of modding that Smeggy specializes in.

Don't bother reading the whole thread-- read the first [I think it's] 6 pages to get an idea of what the operating principle is and what was wrong with the earlier examples of the breed, then use ludoo's search engine to pick your way around to answer specific questions, then ask any question that's left over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent
The TH700 will most likely [have more bass] with some new pads on. You will also probably need to seal it better to the baffle, if it is the usual PMB work. There is also probably a very thick damping pad inside.

NuBreed, DAC's advice is spot on. Any PMB headphone from the early '80s and before has cloth earpads because the synthetic earpad covering ("pleather") has rotted away. Bass does escape from the vents on the back of the earpieces, so a better earpad seal will give stronger bass.

The seal from the driver to the baffle, which must be airtight for maximum bass, is problematic with the typical PMB driver, which uses springy sheet-metal clips or clamps to hold the repelling magnet discs together, and these form a discontinuous surface on the magnet, making an airtight seal more difficult to achieve. In the TH-700, PMB used a narrow circle of foam for a gasket, and this foam, like most foam of the time, has almost certainly deteriorated. Try adhesive putty or RTV silicone. Just as with the earpads, we're trying to keep the driver's bass backwave from coming in direct contact with its frontwave.

The back of the driver has a center electrode in the form of a tiny metal dowel or pin that protrudes. Any damping layer must be in intimate contact with the back of the magnet, and this pin gets in the way. I suspect the thick felt disc PMB supplied is more of a backwave absorber than a damping disc, because my TH-700 sounds about the same with or without it, and the pin pushes it away from the magnet in any case.

It's a comfortable headphone and well-made. Let us know how yours sounds and how well it takes bass boost-- that's a good diagnostic. And of course we'll be interested to see whether the driver looks like the one in my TH-700.

Quote:

My friend told me that i can put some wool inside of them, but i think that bitumic tape would be better to decrease space in earcups.

Were you thinking of filling the space inside the earpiece with bitumic tape? There's not much space in there to fill. What was your friend's idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back