Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 17, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #13,066 of 27,180
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the Koss R10 pads too big for the HP/YH-3?

Yes, without an adapter. They are the perfect YH-100 diameter.

Edit: Koss R10 and AT ESW7/9 pads are the same diameters too, so a single pad adapter can be used for a few different pad options. The other trio of close pads are the AKG K240, Stax O2, and Denon D5K/7K pads. All are about 100mm mounting diameter...

Edit 2: The pad that I really need to do more with is the AT W11 pad. The only bad part about them is a really weird mounting style where they have an odd elliptical opening, so round pad spacer won't work. But it's a low volume ear cup, wide ID, and suede. It was the magic pad to bring the sound of the Kenwood KH-82 electrects to "keepable" and even enjoyable levels. I bought the cans and pads off cetoole, so I can't remember how much the W11 pads cost. I probably should source a second pair and mod them, then send them to J$ to duplicate...

Jan 17, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #13,067 of 27,180
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A trick question as pads have a significant effect on the sound signature.

HD25 pads fit perfectly, but they definitely effect the sound. I used the pleather pads and they were the missing piece for the final tweak to my YH-3s before I sold them to Rick @ Warren Audio.

I know he replaced his with a Chinese-sourced leather pad, you can contact him and see if he has more or can get a few more pairs.

One thing I never did try with my YH-3s, which I might now if I had a pair, is the HD-25 velor pads. They may have allowed much less dampening on the backside to allow more open, airy, and wider sound stage. It's an untested theory and I already sold and shipped my HD-25s that came through the BMF collection for a few weeks...

Thanks! You just save my dad's headphones. A gift to him
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm ordering the HD 25 velour pads. He probably won't notice the sound signature change. He'll like the velour more too.

Jan 17, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #13,068 of 27,180
Yeah, pads do make a huuuuuge difference to ortho sound. Sadly (for me) the Stax O2 pads are still far and away the best for the New T50. They soundly beat all others but they cost twice as much as the phones, give or take. I still need to buy some of the JMoney Denon pads which should also work well at half the price of the Stax. I hope so anyway.

In other news, I just bought myself a bandsaw which should make life easier and less risky than a big-ass table saw for chopping up my little bits of wood.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #13,069 of 27,180
Heh thanks for the welcome guys! Looks like my fostexes are going to arrive today, need to get myself some felt! But no idea where to get some..

And..ill get the HP-50? They are a bit expensive aren't they? But at that price point i guess they'll still outperform other headphones, even mroe so with proper modding. Are there any things i should look out for when testing these? I believe these are the bassy version, according to the sellers description

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #13,071 of 27,180
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, pads do make a huuuuuge difference to ortho sound. Sadly (for me) the Stax O2 pads are still far and away the best for the New T50. They soundly beat all others but they cost twice as much as the phones, give or take. I still need to buy some of the JMoney Denon pads which should also work well at half the price of the Stax. I hope so anyway.

In other news, I just bought myself a bandsaw which should make life easier and less risky than a big-ass table saw for chopping up my little bits of wood.
smily_headphones1.gif

Smeggy, email me, I can help you out a little on a set of J$ Denon pads. I have 2 or 3 sets left that I haven't tortured or started modding yet.

And guys, be sure to email requests for Stax O2 pads to Jeremy. I'm hounding the hell out of him for them. They might be $75 or $100/pr, but nice and easier to acquire.

Which bandsaw did you get? I have my eye on the Rikon 14" as it has the same resaw height capacity as the bigger 18" model and only gives up 2" in actual usable cutting width.

Jan 18, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #13,073 of 27,180
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the ortho thread!

The TH700 will most likely sound good with some new pads on (the pads should be covered with pleather). (I have not heard the TH700, but my PMB orthos all sound fine.) You will also probably need to seal it better to the baffle, if it is the usual PMB work. There is also probably a very thick damping pad inside. If you want more bass, you can try to replace it with something thinner. And when you are inside, do take a picture! I am very curious about what PMB driver is inside your TH700 (it might be the same as in Wualtas pair, but then again maybe not).

The TH700 doesn't show up every day. Where did you find it?

Anyone know something about pleather pads that will be compatible with Telefunken th700?

new DT pads are too expensive. 25$ is a crime! And i dunno that they match my headphones

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #13,074 of 27,180
As I said earlier, its hard to take new toy joy out of the equation, but the Fostex are a revelation thus far. Initially, I felt there was a 'hollowness' to the sound, but my ears and the phones seem to have come to an understanding - listening to The Butterfly Effect (prog rock, for those who insist on labels), I am quite taken with the balanced, fluid delivery. No punishing treble, no fatigue - the K501 are probably the closest dynamic phones I've heard, but I can see why these cans have such fanatical supporters
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #13,075 of 27,180
Quote:

Originally Posted by NuBreed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know something about pleather pads that will be compatible with Telefunken th700?

new DT pads are too expensive. 25$ is a crime! And i dunno that they match my headphones

If the size of the hole in the pads is too small, the under side of the pads will reflect treble back inside the headphone, reducing treble. If the size of the inner hole is too large, there will be more treble, but maybe less bass. If they don't seal well enough, headstage might improve, but at the cost of bass. if they are too thin....

But you are right, the first step should be to find good cheap pads that have the right size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Edit: In other news I just got the ET1000 today. Thanks, DAC! But I didn't realize I needed a European wall plug adapter to use it so now it's just sitting there. There is a very thin fine mesh of cloth fibers over the drivers which I think I'll just remove because they don't look to be in so good condition anyway. First impressions (which are useless since I can't actually listen to it): A lot heavier than I expected.

eek.gif
I have no excuse for not thinking about the plug problem. I should have told you about that.

How about the voltage? Is that a problem too?

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #13,077 of 27,180
TH700 ... nice headphones! in the middle of this week i will receive din-jack reduction, so will write somethin' bout the sound.

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #13,078 of 27,180
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
I have no excuse for not thinking about the plug problem. I should have told you about that.

How about the voltage? Is that a problem too?

It's alright. I should definitely have an adapter handy, don't know why I don't. The voltage isn't a problem, it does 120V.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Voltage shouldn't be an issue, two 90V zeners on the input if I remember correctly.

I do have the N1000 already which puts out proper bias, but when I hook it up to an actual amp, you said Stax normal bias (230V) will be fine for it, right?

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #13,080 of 27,180
Orthodynamic Driver from Telefunken TH 700 Exposed
smily_headphones1.gif

Here are some pics of it. PMB 8??
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back