Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 15, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #13,051 of 27,171
Thx for tip Wualta. That's a lot of good ideas out there in your post. I will try them as soon as headphones will be at my place. Polish Post sucks so much....

The bitumic tape was an idea of my friend who has orthodynamics from russia, he modded them some time ago. But as you said, TH700 has smaller earcups than TDS-5, so this idea is in my case useless.

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #13,052 of 27,171
A quick little felt mask for the front of the very leaky PMB100.
Just another little felt craft project in the tuning tool kit.
IMG_3503.jpg

Jan 16, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #13,054 of 27,171
I don't want to start a new thread, so i'll ask here about german phones MB Quart 220. Are they any good? I have a good offer i think, but i don't know anything about them. All i know that This is a rebrand of Beyerdynamic? Maybe You Have them... i need help because it's temptating offer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #13,055 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by NuBreed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to start a new thread, so i'll ask here about german phones MB Quart 220. Are they any good? I have a good offer i think, but i don't know anything about them. All i know that This is a rebrand of Beyerdynamic? Maybe You Have them... i need help because it's temptating offer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually I think you should start a new thread about it. Only people interested in orthodynamic headphones read this thread, so a lot of other people can't see your question when it is in here.

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #13,056 of 27,171
THX, You have right. New thread is a good idea in that case.

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #13,057 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great!

And we would have to find a PMB 8 first. So far, none has shown up here.

So far yes. I have have seen pics and it looks very similar to all the clones.

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #13,058 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks nice. What does it do?

Adds a touch of bass and in theory could help steer the headstage a bit forward. Still the PMB-100 remains bass shy and tough to tune. I seem to pick it up every once in a while then not want to change it too much and ruin it's unique open design. I think I should just try it in it's most open and undamped state and live with that for a while.

A bit off topic, listening to an ancient pair of AKG k180s as I typed this and noticed some pre-echo on a CD remaster of an old 50's Dinah Washington song that I've never heard before. Odd how our perception changes when we "hear" something for the first time. Switch to the PMB-100s to check and it's there but laid back in the noise floor more. I wouldn't have noticed it as much unless I heard it first on the AKG.

Maybe the little mask on the PMB is hiding some detail and just subjectively bumping up the bass.
duggehsmile.png

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #13,059 of 27,171
I'm thinking the closed K180 may have some resonance characteristics of its own that could emphasize the echo effect, as a possible alternative to the felt mask hiding detail on the PMB. And I think the mask decreases treble, thereby "increasing" bass. If you want further in this direction while keeping it fully open you can always try a reverse reflex dot.

Edit: In other news I just got the ET1000 today. Thanks, DAC! But I didn't realize I needed a European wall plug adapter to use it so now it's just sitting there. There is a very thin fine mesh of cloth fibers over the drivers which I think I'll just remove because they don't look to be in so good condition anyway. First impressions (which are useless since I can't actually listen to it): A lot heavier than I expected.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #13,060 of 27,171
Hey guys, i'm new to head-fi and im really quite interested in orthos! The fact that they are so customizable is a huge pull-in for me.

So, i ordered a pair of T50RPs from amazon (should be coming tomorrow) and i can get a pair of yamaha HP-50s (recabled to stereo) for around USD100. Im not from the US and a quick search doesnt seem to reveal anymore of these selling in my area so im pretty torn whether to get these or not.

Planning to mod the T50RP the moment it arrives, any suggestions? I'm looking for a prominent treble (using etymotics er4b now) and deep, tight bass (less is more) so from what ive read (read up to page 522, then got bored) i need a reflex dot, and very dense damping!

Also, should i get the HP-50? Are they moddable to greatness?

Thanks, Muz

P.S. First Post!

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #13,061 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by almuzzi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, i'm new to head-fi and im really quite interested in orthos! The fact that they are so customizable is a huge pull-in for me.

So, i ordered a pair of T50RPs from amazon (should be coming tomorrow) and i can get a pair of yamaha HP-50s (recabled to stereo) for around USD100. Im not from the US and a quick search doesnt seem to reveal anymore of these selling in my area so im pretty torn whether to get these or not.

Planning to mod the T50RP the moment it arrives, any suggestions? I'm looking for a prominent treble (using etymotics er4b now) and deep, tight bass (less is more) so from what ive read (read up to page 522, then got bored) i need a reflex dot, and very dense damping!

Also, should i get the HP-50? Are they moddable to greatness?

Thanks, Muz

P.S. First Post!

This just my opinion, but from my experience with the T50RP in the stock cup, your goals of prominent treble and deep, tight bass are mutually exclusive. You can tighten the bass, but it's prominence will diminish and the brighter you make the cans, the less bass you have when finished.

Again, just MHO...

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #13,062 of 27,171
Welcome to the Big Thread!

Don't crack the T50RPmkII open the moment it arrives. Listen to it for awhile and try to get a sense of what's right and what's wrong. Stress it with bass boost. Start collecting felt in differing densities. Sharpen your scissors and look around for the most open but stiff foam you can find.

I wish that HP-50 wasn't so expensive, but yes, many here will tell you it has greatness in it. It's not exactly easy to work on, but again, many here will guide you through the process and have posted step by step instructions with photos.

The HP-50 has more modding room, which is to say it can be made to sound good in more ways than the Fostex.

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #13,064 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by iHelp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys;

Does anyone know of a YH3 pad replacement?

A trick question as pads have a significant effect on the sound signature.

HD25 pads fit perfectly, but they definitely effect the sound. I used the pleather pads and they were the missing piece for the final tweak to my YH-3s before I sold them to Rick @ Warren Audio.

I know he replaced his with a Chinese-sourced leather pad, you can contact him and see if he has more or can get a few more pairs.

One thing I never did try with my YH-3s, which I might now if I had a pair, is the HD-25 velor pads. They may have allowed much less dampening on the backside to allow more open, airy, and wider sound stage. It's an untested theory and I already sold and shipped my HD-25s that came through the BMF collection for a few weeks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back