Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 13, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #25,846 of 27,137
I do find it incredible how there's such a market for 'cables' that do nothing - yet all this talk of pads that do heaps - surely there's a market for pad sound altering systems - just an idea :wink:

Ya, cables are kind of a joke. I get wanting higher quality, and possible there may be a difference between silver/copper, also how it's braided as that would reject interference, but some of these cables going for $1500 or more, what in the world is the point in that? I've spent 100 building my own cable for my ex1000 and that is ridiculous to me, but I have parts to do more work. Pads can make a night and day difference way more than any cable could. I still can't find the perfect pads for my t50 build! Shure 840s still work best evwnthough theres nothing but the drivers left from fostex, but I want something fancier damnit!! Go from those to any others I've tried and I always lose too much of something while gaining slightly in another area, those stupid 840 pads just leave it in the neutral zone.

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #25,848 of 27,137
I do find it incredible how there's such a market for 'cables' that do nothing - yet all this talk of pads that do heaps - surely there's a market for pad sound altering systems - just an idea :wink:

cables do look much fancier though

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #25,849 of 27,137
cables do look much fancier though

They do, but what would you rather have for 1500? A cable or an he6 plus a vintage amp? I'll choose the latter everytime. But I don't make "spend 1500 on a cable" money, so there's that. I really want a nice like 300 cable for my he4 and t50rp build at some point though, I can make cables but they is ugly, functional but not nice looking or feeling, and they probably won't last long my soldering skills are 2nd grade level. So, back on topic here, I have a t50 build that's just the drivers left, it's the t50rp drivers, probably 6 years old, so not newest version or anything. I've been considering swapping to the t20 round drivers, what exactly should I expect from that swap? I've heard from axel it's worth it, and I've been interested in those drivers for a long time. Thoughts?

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #25,850 of 27,137
Yeah, I now know that I did not "seal them properly". Well at least the only way I can get them to look "right" is to push the earcups onto the silicone ears to "properly" seal them. Even then, I question how accurate that method would be since the headphone doesn't have that much clamping pressure.
Well, I did not compress the pads against the baffle at all, this is with the headband clamp only. I have an on-ear coupler designed to seal with headphones which cannot not make proper contact with the over-ear coupler.

My point is that the bass rolloff your plots show is absolutely false. These things extend hella deep. I'm sure you can verify that :)

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #25,851 of 27,137

Dude, the selection and availability of aftermarket pads has ballooned in recent years. Just check amazon, ebay, massdrop, etc, to start.

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #25,853 of 27,137
oh like a modular customizable set with lots of options.

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #25,854 of 27,137
That actually shouldn't be too difficult to achieve as a one-off.
But to customise for a variety of headphone shapes and sizes would be maddening.

Jun 14, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #25,857 of 27,137
You're gonna want to find one that's aluminum based. The more popular ones are silver, but that might lead to galvanic corrosion against the aluminum.

Jun 15, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #25,858 of 27,137
My LCD-XC got a real good shower from an airconditioning unit, the headband was soaked, the the structure of them thankfully saved the rest as the water dripped down the band and off the ring - I panicked but disassembled them and dried them overnight. There was hardly any water inside them at all.

I contacted Audeze about this and they quoted me prices for all parts if needing replacement. So if you can't fix it you could contact them direct - see if they can help and send you out a new diaphragm.

Jun 15, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #25,859 of 27,137
thanks guys, I contacted them and wait for their reply. I wonder how much repair will cost me and if they will want to repair it. Seems like EL8 is no longer available for some reason, sad because I really like the design of them and Im sure flaws can be fixed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back