Orthodynamic Roundup
Jul 12, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #25,876 of 27,156
Hey everyone. I recently stumbled across a pair of Yamaha YH-2s owned by my late father. The inner headband is cracked at the plastic edges, and I am not quite happy with the stock sound but I've read that they have quite good potential with some dampening. That got me to thinking...would it be possible to transplant the drivers into a new headphone assembly? I'm not a fan of Grados but I've poked around various websites and there's a lot of aftermarket assemblies with nice wood enclosures. Wondering if anyone in here has experience with such an undertaking that might be able to guide me in the right direction in terms of parts. To add to complications, I have tried and failed to hunt down a service manual for the YH-2.

Attachments

• DSC_0176.JPG
    DSC_0176.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Aug 11, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #25,878 of 27,156
So this might help anyone who finds the RP18 headband a bit too small as you get a tiny bit more height with this one.
Also pad rolling becomes much easier, no more faffing around with double side tape.
Yeah, that was the biggest disappointment. I liked the sound of stock RP18, but fully extended headband isn't enough for achieving comfort for me.
Transplanting its drivers to another headphones's body will give you unpredictable results unless you know how acoustics works and have appropriate gear for measurements. Even at best result RP18 will not sound how it was intended to, unfortunately.

Aug 11, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #25,879 of 27,156
Even at best result RP18 will not sound how it was intended to, unfortunately.
Unfortunately, how it was intended to sound, sucks.
Stock RP18 is just disappointing.

Aug 11, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #25,880 of 27,156
RP18 (kapton) driver transplant for a friend:
Originally I was going to just refurbish and change the damping and pads on an RP18, but the headphone that arrived smelled like an ashtray.
Not wanting to let my buddy down (who has the nose of a bloodhound) or pass on the opportunity for adventure, we decided on a full transplant and some extras.

(closed back test - electronics only - bass is weaksauce in closed-back cups even with bass-monster ear pads)

Modding a Superlux HD660:

Materials:
- Superlux HD660
- HD650 cable + new 3.5mm plug
- 3.5mm socket (detachable cable mod)
- Stainless steel wire mesh
- cheapo fake brainwavs pads
Damping:
- Thermolam
- Very thin packaging fabric (the kind you get surrounding PC monitors)

The biggest take away from this, is that the drivers fit PERFECTLY into these cups (and DT770 cups) and stay in place with mechanical friction only.
So this might help anyone who finds the RP18 headband a bit too small as you get a tiny bit more height with this one.
Also pad rolling becomes much easier, no more faffing around with double side tape.

Damn, and I just sold my DT990 Pro for parts too! Welp, that's definitely a future project for me now :D

Nice work!

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #25,882 of 27,156
Aug 13, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #25,883 of 27,156
RP18 (kapton) driver transplant for a friend:
Originally I was going to just refurbish and change the damping and pads on an RP18, but the headphone that arrived smelled like an ashtray.
Not wanting to let my buddy down (who has the nose of a bloodhound) or pass on the opportunity for adventure, we decided on a full transplant and some extras.

(closed back test - electronics only - bass is weaksauce in closed-back cups even with bass-monster ear pads)

Modding a Superlux HD660:

Materials:
- Superlux HD660
- HD650 cable + new 3.5mm plug
- 3.5mm socket (detachable cable mod)
- Stainless steel wire mesh
- cheapo fake brainwavs pads
Damping:
- Thermolam
- Very thin packaging fabric (the kind you get surrounding PC monitors)

The biggest take away from this, is that the drivers fit PERFECTLY into these cups (and DT770 cups) and stay in place with mechanical friction only.

The Superlux HD660 makes a handy donor...I've used it for several projects before.

If you want to smooth the places you cut, acetone on a piece of rag, rubbed along the rough parts smooths them out nicely.

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #25,884 of 27,156
The Superlux HD660 makes a handy donor...I've used it for several projects before.

If you want to smooth the places you cut, acetone on a piece of rag, rubbed along the rough parts smooths them out nicely.
That's a great bit of advice!
Cheers! :beerchug:
I'll borrow some of the missus' nail varnish remover, see if that does the trick.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #25,885 of 27,156
Anyone here able to take exact measurements of a YHD-1 driver for me?

I need the outer diameter, inner diameter of the silver lip, and the height. 0.5mm tolerance.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #25,886 of 27,156
Anyone here able to take exact measurements of a YHD-1 driver for me?

I need the outer diameter, inner diameter of the silver lip, and the height. 0.5mm tolerance.

I can eyeball it with a technical ruler with 0.5mm increments (sorry no digital calipers here, but my eyesight is near perfect)
Hope this gives you some/enough indication.

outer diameter is between 39 and 39.5mm
inner diater between 33.5 and 34mm
depth is about 6.5mm

Sep 5, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #25,887 of 27,156
Calling all vintage T50 variant owners!

I am working on a small documentation 'project' where I compile a collection of the differences in the diaphragms. I thought it would be kinda a cool documentation for ortho enthusiasts - well, at least very cool for myself.

I've compiled a few in this Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/yXlYcCd

I have the differences in the diaphragms listed in the description for each different diaphragm that I was able to dig up. There are also magnet variants which I've termed in the album.

I would like to ask T50 variant owners if they could take pictures of their diaphragms and magnets so that I can add them into the album. I'd like a clear enough picture so that it is possible to count the maximum number of traces. I'm mainly looking for anything different from the ones already in the album but will still love to see pictures nonetheless! You can PM me the pictures or post them here on the thread. Be sure to also tell me from which variant they're from.

As always, be very careful in disassembling :wink:

Thought I should list the confirmed variants here, so you know from which headphones I'm looking for:

- Aiwa HP-500
- Fostex T50 (1970s model)
- Lafayette RP-50
- Maior RPT-50
- NAD RP18
- Sansui SS-100

Let me know if I'm missing some variants.

@wualta's post of the T50 here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/planar-obsession-old-fostex-t50.94407/

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #25,888 of 27,156
Calling all vintage T50 variant owners!

I am working on a small documentation 'project' where I compile a collection of the differences in the diaphragms. I thought it would be kinda a cool documentation for ortho enthusiasts - well, at least very cool for myself.

I've compiled a few in this Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/yXlYcCd

I have the differences in the diaphragms listed in the description for each different diaphragm that I was able to dig up. There are also magnet variants which I've termed in the album.

I would like to ask T50 variant owners if they could take pictures of their diaphragms and magnets so that I can add them into the album. I'd like a clear enough picture so that it is possible to count the maximum number of traces. I'm mainly looking for anything different from the ones already in the album but will still love to see pictures nonetheless! You can PM me the pictures or post them here on the thread. Be sure to also tell me from which variant they're from.

As always, be very careful in disassembling :wink:

Thought I should list the confirmed variants here, so you know from which headphones I'm looking for:

- Aiwa HP-500
- Fostex T50 (1970s model)
- Lafayette RP-50
- Maior RPT-50
- NAD RP18
- Sansui SS-100

Let me know if I'm missing some variants.

@wualta's post of the T50 here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/planar-obsession-old-fostex-t50.94407/
Do Audiotronic fit in this category?

Sep 6, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #25,889 of 27,156
Sep 6, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #25,890 of 27,156
I'm sorry if my question is too stupid but anyway.What typical symptoms does headphones show if its drivers or magnets were damaged? Channel imbalance or dead silent one or both channels , right?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back