Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 24, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #25,081 of 27,137
In reference to the "Opening up headphones really inspired me to try different materials as well." and "Glad to see this thread picking up again. Warms the cockles."
I got into a slump lately, which does happen.
But upon looking into one or two things that sent me way back in the thread here, I got stuck randomly reading some of the older posts and then realized how much I missed this thread.
I think it's all too easy to get lost in the new stuff, not necessarily the ridiculous costs, but all the new variations and designs and sound impressions.
It doesn't help that this thread sunk back 10+ pages deep either.
Think I will go through and read the entire thread start-to-finish again, for what could be the 4th or 5th time ( and for sure cringe at some of my posts from then too haha )

Certainly for someone new ( and this is a long-shot not likely to happen )
I'd greatly recommend trying out some older gems first and toying around with building confidence in various damping schemes,
learning how sound is affected,
and coming to a mod that is particular to their own tastes as close as they can get that.
They'll learn a heck of a lot for little cost compared to the new stuff. * NO TOILET PAPER MODS PLEASE *
Some older stuff has some seriously hidden potential that may surprise them and possibly eclipse any of the new supposedly "better" options. And for a hell of a lot cheaper that's for sure.

Basically preaching to the converted here, but it's the feeling I have.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #25,082 of 27,137
Hey don't knock the strategic toilet paper mods. My favorite theory-crafting of usable acoustic dampening is collected wads of dryer lint. That always tickles me in the right way. And hey, some transpore tape over the driver and some pet hair free dryer lint might be just what the doctor ordered. Just don't take it as far as belly button lint

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #25,083 of 27,137
haha
I never did get around to making my own custom wool felt from a dryer shrunken old jacket.
Hmm you could collect the dryer lint ( wool! ) at the same time.

Well trouble with toilet paper is so many variances, now even sugarcane and bamboo blends.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #25,084 of 27,137

Attachments

• _DSC9948.jpg
    _DSC9948.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSC9945.jpg
    _DSC9945.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSC9947.jpg
    _DSC9947.jpg
    848.4 KB · Views: 0
  • _DSC9950.jpg
    _DSC9950.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSC7779.jpg
    _DSC7779.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 0
  • _DSC9180.jpg
    _DSC9180.jpg
    610.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #25,086 of 27,137
That's actually a Technics EAH-820 diaphragm.
B&O U70 which a round PMB driver, the same one found in a Peerless PMB-8

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #25,088 of 27,137
I had no idea that the he-500 was uncomfortable. That seems like a crime: expensive headphones that are painful to wear. This is coming from a guy that finds his Fostex t10 to be quite comfy.
I actually ordered a few of those sennheiser hd 600 headband pad thingies recently. Great to have some of those around. They go for like 2 bucks off ebay. I plan on putting them on a pair of realistic pro30. Those compare in discomfort to the ath-1, but I can tolerate them for a few hours.

Man, I never hear about anyone with a fostex t30 anymore. It's like every owner slinked off into their caves to sit on their treasure hoard. I would love to have one.
(Off topic) I made a thread in diy about a set of Stanton sixties that I'm fixing up. If you have any technical know how, I could use some help. Thanks boyos.

The HE-500 is pretty heavy. With Audeze vegan pads and wool headband snap-on, it's at 568 grams and that's without the cable. I've demo'd an HE-6 whose owner had the Lohb strap on, and it wasn't all to comfortable for me.

Yeah, I'm looking for a T30 myself. I just need the T10 and T30 to finish off the T series. There are T10's I see going around, but those don't seem to be too reasonably priced.

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #25,089 of 27,137
Got the Oppo PM-3 on the loaner program. Initial impression is that the imaging and separation is outstanding. Soundstage is average for a closed back headphone. Bass extension is ok. The tones are there, but they lack impact or excitement. Treble extension is good, but again they lack excitement and sparkle. Very easy to drive. Much more enjoyable to listen to than the HE-400i due to the better bass extension.

All of the above are initial impressions (2 hours listening) out of my Lg v20. I'm planning on doing a more fully fleshed out review later.

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #25,090 of 27,137
How do you think the YHD1 is in comparison to the YH-1 if you've tried it?

It is all so personal and variable. I really like the HP1 stock, even better modded. Especially the aniso-magnets, but my modded YHD1 is still preferred over any of the Yamaha orthos. I had let most of them go, but have randomly re-aquired all but the HP1. (No, not the YH5M or HP1000 either)

..dB

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #25,093 of 27,137
It is all so personal and variable. I really like the HP1 stock, even better modded. Especially the aniso-magnets, but my modded YHD1 is still preferred over any of the Yamaha orthos. I had let most of them go, but have randomly re-aquired all but the HP1. (No, not the YH5M or HP1000 either)

..dB

How are the Aniso magnets different to the non-Aniso magnets?

Edit: Assuming "non-Aniso" variants are a thing.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #25,094 of 27,137
Also posted this on the Vintage Pioneer thread:

Not sure if this would be considered blasphemy to some, but I've transplanted Yamaha YH-1 drivers into my Monitor 10. I like the aesthetic of the Monitor 10, but I like the sound of the YH-1 so I thought, "Hey, why not combine both?" Surprisingly good results with some damping. Relatively neutral with a hint of warmth and brightness. Maybe a dip in the upper mids. I just had to blu-tack the front of the magnet onto the baffle plate a bit.

YH-1 to M10.jpg YH-1 to M10 4.jpg YH-1 to M10 2.jpg YH-1 to M10 3.jpg

Pioneer Monitor 10.jpg

This is a long shot, but does anyone have the foam under the earpad? Mine came with one missing, so I made a DIY foam as a temporary thing.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #25,095 of 27,137
Yeah The hp-1s with anisotropic magnets came in black boxes, and they had stronger magnets than the regular ones. I haven't heard a pair, but I'd imagine that the stronger magnets have better sensitivity and probably better bass characteristics. I'm sure someone else would know better. I know @BucketInABucket has a pair...

Also, ^BLASPHEMY
One of the very few pairs of dynamics that I find very charming without any mods,though a bit uncomfortable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back