Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 29, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #25,111 of 27,146
I guess the owner likes it good 'n clampy... normally clamp isn't too bad with these, but since the headband is steel, the user can bend it to their will... literally.
Mine is on the softer side of clamping, just enough to keep it on my head, but it will fall off if I look down.
That combined with my DIY suspension headband and they're very decently comfy.

Oct 29, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #25,112 of 27,146
Well when I see him again I'll tell him. I'm not sure what his headfi name is, but hes got alot of cool gear including a huge Stax tube amp.
I listened to both Stax he had there, although he was playing his own CD from some Woo Audio CD players so I wasn't familiar with the music, but it sounds great. I don't have any other comparison though without actual A/B testing or atleast testing on music I am familiar with via the same source(s).

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #25,115 of 27,146
Just a heads-up to the EU community.
There's a "fake" RP18 possibly still in circulation, containing Philips SHP1900 drivers (literally one of the worst and cheapest you can get).
If it's still around, it will be most likely be for sale in the Netherlands.

Points to look out for:
• Generic shiny silver replacement plug
• 'Pill' shaped cable y-split (not the other circular one)

Inside will be found:
• Huge amounts of hot glue
• Stock damping grill materials glued up
• Philips SHP1900 drivers

_DSC9066.jpg _DSC9067.jpg _DSC9068.jpg _DSC9069.jpg _DSC9071.jpg _DSC9072.jpg _DSC9073.jpg

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #25,116 of 27,146
Just a heads-up to the EU community.
There's a "fake" RP18 possibly still in circulation, containing Philips SHP1900 drivers (literally one of the worst and cheapest you can get).
If it's still around, it will be most likely be for sale in the Netherlands.

Points to look out for:
• Generic shiny silver replacement plug
• 'Pill' shaped cable y-split (not the other circular one)

Inside will be found:
• Huge amounts of hot glue
• Stock damping grill materials glued up
• Philips SHP1900 drivers

Which of course begs the question of why on earth would one fake an RP 18? I mean really I can see doing the porta pro the IE800 and SD800 sennis and a few of the AT wooden jobbies. But to fake something that obscure?? Defies all logic.

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #25,117 of 27,146
The only two explanations I can think of:
• someone knew exactly what these were, took out the tasty drivers for their DIY project, and tried flogging the shell dishonestly.
• old drivers got toasted by volume abuse or a blown up by a faulty amplifier, and this is the 'fix' ??? 0_o

Either way, it was sold as an RP18, so the same seller may try to flog it again in the future.

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #25,119 of 27,146
• someone knew exactly what these were, took out the tasty drivers for their DIY project, and tried flogging the shell dishonestly.
• old drivers got toasted by volume abuse or a blown up by a faulty amplifier, and this is the 'fix' ??? 0_o

Either way, it was sold as an RP18, so the same seller may try to flog it again in the future.
Which makes you post a great black flag on that seller, Tak for dat.:)

What kind of blew me there was the simple fact that Philips makes some awesome drivers for cheapsies too. So why to a bad copy and make it worse?

Anyhow. Yamaho Hp 1 still setting the bar here. Wish the T20's were that good or the oppopotamus or the hifimans, but really, for an all rounder the hp1 still kicks them into the curbside dirt.

Oh make no mistake I dunot doubt your veracity here and I would not touch those phone for all the whores in Babylyon. Just I wonder why someone would try to got down that road knowing that they will be exposed. Or perhaps its the ebay thing. Your not exposed until a million buyers complain,

At any rate the warning is valid for any newcomers to the thread so Tak ver Dat again. I do not think that just because you do not read the 10000000 posts on this threat you should suffer.

That said again. It would be tres cool if you and nickn would post up a top 10 as a header to this thread, then again with the dismal state of this site, a top 10 might just wind up as juda ben moneysuckers recipe for a lemon merangue pie.

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #25,120 of 27,146
That said again. It would be tres cool if you and nickn would post up a top 10 as a header to this thread, then again with the dismal state of this site, a top 10 might just wind up as juda ben moneysuckers recipe for a lemon merangue pie.

Haha, yes... nickn alone could run a full size meet that'd give Can-Marmalade a run for it's money.

Top 10's lists are pointless, I think... maybe... possibly...
The list will likely be different in future when better ear pads and damping materials come out, or a prodigious modifier-extraordinaire graces us with their radiant presence... and mods.

I think I asked nickn ages ago what his rankings would be... I got an answer somewhere along the lines of "muy many ... nicht possible ... plz non ... "

Nov 2, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #25,121 of 27,146
Well, it turns out that it wasn't the grill that was causing the buzzing.. I tested out will just the grills, just the damping, just speaker cloths, nothing behind the driver; and there was still buzzing. Too bad I found this out after I removed the stock grills. It seems it can be easily be put back on with some adhesive or my favorite: blu-tack.

Seems like GREQ was right about the problem being just something on the diaphragm. Whoops. Boy was it frustrating going through many trial and errors.

I eventually took everything out, gently wiped and blew any microscopic debris off from the diaphragm and magnet assembly. Don't seem to be hearing any buzzing now, and I'm HOPING that it doesn't return.

Now they got these custom grills that I cut out for them. I can now see the color of the speaker cloth due to the bigger openings of the grills. Yes, both the grills and speaker cloth were blu-tacked on. :wink:

Boy, was it scary to completely disassemble everything. One mistake and I could have destroyed the diaphragm. *shivers*

1 - OCRYtoT.jpg 2 - 7SwQxMS.jpg 3 - ImJ6xIQ.jpg

4 - l9e19sc.jpg 5 - mK5t3Aw.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #25,122 of 27,146
Well, it turns out that it wasn't the grill that was causing the buzzing.. I tested out will just the grills, just the damping, just speaker cloths, nothing behind the driver; and there was still buzzing. Too bad I found this out after I removed the stock grills. It seems it can be easily be put back on with some adhesive or my favorite: blu-tack.

Seems like GREQ was right about the problem being just something on the diaphragm. Whoops. Boy was it frustrating going through many trial and errors.

I eventually took everything out, gently wiped and blew any microscopic debris off from the diaphragm and magnet assembly. Don't seem to be hearing any buzzing now, and I'm HOPING that it doesn't return.

Now they got these custom grills that I cut out for them. I can now see the color of the speaker cloth due to the bigger openings of the grills. Yes, both the grills and speaker cloth were blu-tacked on. :wink:

Boy, was it scary to completely disassemble everything. One mistake and I could have destroyed the diaphragm. *shivers*

What headphone is that? looks pretty cool!

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #25,123 of 27,146
What headphone is that? looks pretty cool!

The original Fostex T50. This particular unit is the v0 version which was made for Japanese markets.

Oh, and they sound much cooler as well. I decided to let go of the HE-500 ever since I got these. Both very solid sounding headphones though.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #25,125 of 27,146
I absolutely adore the colored speaker cloth, that's perfect. Great mod job. I assume red is right channel?

Thanks! It's definitely a lot prettier from the outside than from the inside haha. Yup, red for right.

I got the speaker cloths from a sample set that had a bunch of colored 5"x5"(?) sheets for a cent plus shipping. I can PM you to where I got them if you may be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back