Orthodynamic Roundup
Nov 2, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #25,127 of 27,158
Never knew they made an Ortho, I've only seen Dynamics from them!

Well their fairly popular T20RP, T40RP, and T50RP line of headphones are ortho/planar magnetics.

I honestly wasn't a fan of the TH900 from a short demo I had. I thought the THX00 was alright, though I much preferred the Denon D7000 from the short demo I had.

Fostex would be killer if they could remake the drivers like the ones on the original T50.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #25,129 of 27,158
I've seen those before but I saw "Regular Phase (RP)" drivers and I thought they were dynamic.
Going to look them up they are indeed planar. But they only seem to put them in these cheaper "studio" headphones?

Hmm, I'm not too knowledgeable on the their term of regular phase. I remember reading about it somewhere but I forgot all about it. Interestingly enough, the term "regular phase" is also on the earcups on the original T50.

I think they were intended for studio use. There have been extensive mods using the modern Fostex drivers seen in some companies today such as ZMF headphones, MrSpeakers, and some other less well-known ones.

I've briefly owned the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog and ZMF Ori which I believe both use the same drivers but with a lot of modding.

I wasn't a fan of the Alpha Dog. I thought they looked clunky, felt unnecessarily heavy, and sounded boring. I thought a stock T50RP MK3 sounded much more fun to listen to.

The Ori, however, I thought was fairly nice sounding. Warm and strong bass while still remaining articulate. The wood definitely seems like it's well-made. At the asking price of 899 USD though, I don't think it's worth it in terms of sonic performance. It's more like a "variation" in sound to a stock T50RP MK3 IMO.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #25,130 of 27,158
Hmm, I'm not too knowledgeable on the their term of regular phase. I remember reading about it somewhere but I forgot all about it. Interestingly enough, the term "regular phase" is also on the earcups on the original T50.

I think they were intended for studio use. There have been extensive mods using the modern Fostex drivers seen in some companies today such as ZMF headphones, MrSpeakers, and some other less well-known ones.

I've briefly owned the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog and ZMF Ori which I believe both use the same drivers but with a lot of modding.

I wasn't a fan of the Alpha Dog. I thought they looked clunky, felt unnecessarily heavy, and sounded boring. I thought a stock T50RP MK3 sounded much more fun to listen to.

The Ori, however, I thought was fairly nice sounding. Warm and strong bass while still remaining articulate. The wood definitely seems like it's well-made. At the asking price of 899 USD though, I don't think it's worth it in terms of sonic performance. It's more like a "variation" in sound to a stock T50RP MK3 IMO.

sorry.i'm little bit lost. which headphone again? the one you mentioned has 899usd asking price

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #25,132 of 27,158

Well if you have a chance check out the mrspeakers Aeons, I've been listening to those and the Oppo PM-2's.
The YH-2 you sold me started a love of Planars!

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #25,133 of 27,158
Well if you have a chance check out the mrspeakers Aeons, I've been listening to those and the Oppo PM-2's.
The YH-2 you sold me started a love of Planars!

Definitely! I've watched and read mostly positive reviews/impressions on them. Hoping someone will have them at a local headphone meet.

Depending on your tastes, the YH-1 is worth checking out as well. Warmer sound in comparison with great bass and mids. Of course as always though, YMMV :wink:

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #25,134 of 27,158
Definitely! I've watched and read mostly positive reviews/impressions on them. Hoping someone will have them at a local headphone meet.

Depending on your tastes, the YH-1 is worth checking out as well. Warmer sound in comparison with great bass and mids. Of course as always though, YMMV :wink:
I like analytical style sounds, I just happen to love the YH-2 for its mids in Jazz music!
The PM-2 and the Aeon have more flat frequency responses and are both very detailed.

But right now I am not buying more headphones lol, I have a couple that I want to unload actually!

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #25,136 of 27,158
I like analytical style sounds, I just happen to love the YH-2 for its mids in Jazz music!
The PM-2 and the Aeon have more flat frequency responses and are both very detailed.

But right now I am not buying more headphones lol, I have a couple that I want to unload actually!

Ah, yeah the YH-1 might not be for you. I'm generally in the warm camp, although I've liked some headphones that some say are analytical like the AKG K701.

Have you heard the PM-3? I've briefly demo'd them at a meet and thought they were pretty nice and smooth.

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #25,137 of 27,158
Ah, yeah the YH-1 might not be for you. I'm generally in the warm camp, although I've liked some headphones that some say are analytical like the AKG K701.

Have you heard the PM-3? I've briefly demo'd them at a meet and thought they were pretty nice and smooth.
No the PM-3 I was looking at before I decided that the PM-2 sound signature is the one i prefer.
If I do come across a pair of PM-3's I will listen to them with my PM-2's just for comparison.

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #25,138 of 27,158
I've seen those before but I saw "Regular Phase (RP)" drivers and I thought they were dynamic.
Going to look them up they are indeed planar. But they only seem to put them in these cheaper "studio" headphones?

The drivers in the t50rps are very capable, I love the sound I got out of my build, that took me years, custom baffles, cups, hifiman frame, wave guides, bla bla bla. Sound much different than stock t50_build-2.jpg

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #25,140 of 27,158
@hemipowered007
that one look like a complete headphone not just kind modding or monster frankenstein thing! good job!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back