Orthodynamic Roundup
Sep 27, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #24,946 of 27,137
^GREQ were those aftermarket Denon angled pads any good? I forget.

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #24,947 of 27,137
I'll have to check on the diaphragm in the morning when I have better lighting. It seems to go away when I press on the grill though.

That's why I mentioned rattling because at some point I had a RP18 with a driver that would rattle from time to time, I couldn't find the heart to crack it all open as my buyer didn't complain (too much). Anyway this thing is pretty much older than all of us here, it's a miracle it even still works :)

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #24,948 of 27,137
oh if it is severe rattling it may be more than a hair/fiber thing.
Pretty sure a hair is like a tiny buzz. but it'll all be case specific so let us know.
Some of the T50Rp newer had warped diaphragms from the factory that would bottom out and make a little buzz rattle at their farthest excursion ( low louder bass ).
Maybe you'll get lucky and find the problem fast.
And hopefully it is not a failed glue or something.

I feel the pain also. I completely forgot I have a Wharfedale ID1 with this same issue, and I will have to completely disassemble the drivers to see what is up and reseat them again.
Not looking forward to that project.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #24,949 of 27,137
^GREQ were those aftermarket Denon angled pads any good? I forget.

Not really. With these pads you spend too much time trying out weird damping techniques, so it's better to save time and spend more on a good pad that just does it all better.

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #24,950 of 27,137
oh if it is severe rattling it may be more than a hair/fiber thing.
Pretty sure a hair is like a tiny buzz. but it'll all be case specific so let us know.
Some of the T50Rp newer had warped diaphragms from the factory that would bottom out and make a little buzz rattle at their farthest excursion ( low louder bass ).
Maybe you'll get lucky and find the problem fast.
And hopefully it is not a failed glue or something.

I feel the pain also. I completely forgot I have a Wharfedale ID1 with this same issue, and I will have to completely disassemble the drivers to see what is up and reseat them again.
Not looking forward to that project.

Yeah there was a bit of "hair" from a different dampening material that I was experimenting. I tried blowing it out but it seems like it's just collected along the sides of the driver. Doesn't seem to buzz as obvious now. I'm afraid to do anything that could potentially destroy the diaphragm haha.

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #24,951 of 27,137
I do have a YH100 rattling driver here that goes BZZZ BZZZ on deep bass randomly but that RP18 driver was giving subtle tick-tick sounds on high pitched vocals for instance, also randomly eventually.

Needless to say that these two have drastically lowered the max amount I'm willing to splash on vintage orthos
emoji_ninja.png

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #24,952 of 27,137
I think if we all listed the orthos we've had with buzzing, dead drivers, broken traces, broken magnets, perforrated diaphragms etc, we'd have at the very least a few more pages to read ^_^

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #24,954 of 27,137
I have been reading this thread with a lot of interest.

Having recently inherited a mint set of Yamaha HP-1 from a friend who was throwing them out, I would be interested in others opinions on these?

Worth keeping or not?

Mods if required?

Thanks

Andy in NZ

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #24,955 of 27,137

Having recently inherited a mint set of Yamaha HP-1 from a friend who was throwing them out, I would be interested in others opinions on these?

Worth keeping or not?

Mods if required?

Thanks

Andy in NZ

have you give it a try? if you like the sound i think it's a keeper but sometimes the headphone condition usually not decent.so you need to put some work on it. i used to have hp2.the condition not that great, headband need to be replace, pad need to be replace.also it has some buzzing whenever the bass hit deep. i was not really into the sound.i like it.but i prefer something else. and since it need a lot of work. so i just sold it

but if you like the sound you should keep it. it's free anyway. you probably won't get better sounding headphone in that price :D

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #24,957 of 27,137
These are mint, no marks, no wear, work perfectly.
that's good. do you like the sound? is it stock? i didn't have much experience with damping. i used to have leak 3000, i hated it. i really don't like the sound,i asked my friend to damping it because i really have no idea what to do about it and the sound turn out to be okay but it wasn't really comfort to wear but with yamaha hp2 i do like the stock hp2 sound also it's quite comfortable to wear

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #24,958 of 27,137

Worth keeping or not?

Mods if required?

Thanks

Andy in NZ

Simply stated, stock and out of the box, one of the best headphones I have ever used. Keeper for sure. A pad change may be in order but that is pretty much standard for any older phone.

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #24,959 of 27,137
I just got a set of Yamaha HP1 that I bought from the classifieds. Man they need some power. I had to throw my Magni on high gain and push the knob quite a bit. But man these headphones are great. Rocking Lou Reed on vinyl.

This pair's headband is a little dead. Are there any replacement options? I am assuming I would just have to DIY it.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #24,960 of 27,137
I just got a set of Yamaha HP1 that I bought from the classifieds. Man they need some power. I had to throw my Magni on high gain and push the knob quite a bit. But man these headphones are great. Rocking Lou Reed on vinyl.

This pair's headband is a little dead. Are there any replacement options? I am assuming I would just have to DIY it.
I saw an HP-1 available on Ebay in Mint condition for around $130 I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back