Orthodynamic Roundup
Sep 23, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #24,931 of 27,157
How do you get into earcups? I wanted to mod my YH-3's but I'm not completely sure how to get into the earcups without destroying the front parts.

I tried reading some pages back but I didn't really see any detailed procedure.

I saw rhythmdevils' modded pair measured on innerfidelity and they seemed to measure very well.
I don't have any YH-3s to play with in front of me, but the HP-1s are just simply closed with 5 screws under each earpad. Other people have opened theirs up, I suggest you search through the thread. I'm pretty sure the HP-50s yammies that came with keyboards are simple plastic clamshell designs, so that might be the case with the yh-3/hp-3.

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #24,932 of 27,157
I don't have any YH-3s to play with in front of me, but the HP-1s are just simply closed with 5 screws under each earpad. Other people have opened theirs up, I suggest you search through the thread. I'm pretty sure the HP-50s yammies that came with keyboards are simple plastic clamshell designs, so that might be the case with the yh-3/hp-3.
Yup the 4's are the same as the 50's with the plastic tab closures. Spring em open with a slot jewelers screwdriver and mod away.

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #24,934 of 27,157
I found a YH-2 for $40 and a YH-1 for $130. Is either any good?

I haven't heard the YH-1 but the YH-2 is pretty good. Relatively neutral though a bit brighter than the YH-3. I'm currently selling my YH-2's for 25 shipped and PayPal'd in the US if you're interested.

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #24,936 of 27,157

Yeah, I'm not seeing screws. I'll pop them open some day as Hutnicks mentioned.

Sure send me a PM!

Pm'd!

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #24,938 of 27,157
This'll teach me to stop by this thread - just bought the YH2 off ebay - one of the easiest to mod and always sounds pleasant. That YH1 set is pristine ! More of a challenge to mod but the beauty is they sound great stock.
time to dust off some cobwebs from the box of modding supplies :smile_phones:

..dB

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #24,939 of 27,157
This'll teach me to stop by this thread - just bought the YH2 off ebay - one of the easiest to mod and always sounds pleasant. That YH1 set is pristine ! More of a challenge to mod but the beauty is they sound great stock.
time to dust off some cobwebs from the box of modding supplies :smile_phones:

..dB

What do you normally use to mod?

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #24,942 of 27,157
I received my T50 (presumably the v0) yesterday. Replaced the cable and the plug, removed the digusting damping that turned a weird yellow. Maybe it was supposed to be that way, but it still looked gross. Essentially, I did the equivalent of the grill mod done for Hifiman's HE series.

The headphone smell a bit odd like mint but the unpleasant kind. I wiped them down which removed some of the smell. The cable was pretty much destroyed though functional. The 1/4"'s strain relief spring was rusting and had particles falling off of it. Basically the cable and plug had to go. I played around with some pads and found the best results with the Audeze Vegan pads.

I think that's pretty much it as for changes. The drivers work perfectly and the overall condition is great for its age besides some creaking and a crack along one of the earcups.

Problems that occurred: a bit of buzzing on the right grill during heavy bass sections - seems to have occurred after I removed the old damping material

As for my first impressions with Audeze Vegan pads:
- Powerful bass response with very good sub bass - I'm talking like DT770 (with the pleather pads) level of power; possibly a bit bloated
- Neutral mids though lacking a bit of engagement; otherwise sounds pretty flat, nice, and smooth
- Somewhat dark, lacking a bit up top; note: I tend to lean towards brighter signatures

Overall, very smooth listen with a powerful bass response. Signature with the Audeze vegan pads remind me a bit of the HD650. I haven't heard any of the LCD series (surprisingly) so I can't give comparisons there. Hopefully at a local meet, someone will have an LCD so I can make a comparison.

Brief comparisons:
vs HD580 - T50v0 is darker and more recessed in the midrange with a much more powerful and deeper bass response
vs T20v1 with HM5 sheepskin pads and dampened - T50v0 is darker, midrange seems to be a bit more recessed on the T20v1, a lot more treble on the T20v1 (which probably contributes to why I think the midrange seems to be more recessed); my T20v1 is definitely V-shaped sounding
vs HE-500 - HE-500 is brighter and has more midrange presence, bass is a lot more powerful on the T50v0, may extend more on the T50v0 though I'm not 100% on that

I didn't like the sound stock (not removing any damping) with the stock pads. Sounded a bit too shouty for my liking. Not to mention uncomfortable.

Here are a couple of pictures of before and after:

1.jpg

2.jpg
This is without the Audeze vegan pads.

I got more pictures, but I'll post it in an album when I got it ready.

Overall, it was a fun little "revive". Definitely a keeper.

Anyone with tips/advice on damping or pads the T50v0 or T20v1, please do let me know! I'd like to reduce the treble and bring out the midrange more on the T20v1. I'd like to possibly tighten up the bass on the T50v0, and bring up the mids and treble a little bit.

Also would like tips on helping to remedy the buzzing on the right grill.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #24,943 of 27,157
the buzzing might be a particle of fiber or hair on the driver's diaphragm.
It may have come off the yellow mineral wool damping or fallen in there after you took that off. ( it is NOT some type of decayed fabric )
Maybe try a small air squeegie or light blow to see if you can find or dislodge anything on the diaphragm.

I hope you did not throw out the stock damping, you should keep that safe somewhere= since it is impossible to find, and the consistency of it is likely supposed to be like that ( looks like it will fall apart ). Unless it is now compressed and ruined of course.

So yeah it's the infamous "yellow biscuit" material talked about in here.

That's a very nice recable job by the way

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #24,944 of 27,157
Anyone with tips/advice on damping or pads the T50v0
I wouldn't throw away the yellow biscuit. In my RP18 (mylar) it's the only thing I have that give's the right kind of timbre to the upper-mids and treble.
In the NAD there were two layers of this stuff sandwiches together. I use only one layer of this, and a bigger layer of arctic cotton behind that.
Also sorbothane pieces dotted around the back of the driver housing.

Also I don't know if this is present on the Fostex version, but on the NAD versions there is a piece of brown felt acting as a bass-filter on the ear-side grill.
Remove this to bring out it's treble.

The Audeze pads are also probably too deep and narrow.
Basically extra depth and less open area on the inside of the pad will kill treble, and bloat the bass.
I had to make my own ear pads to get closer to a flat response.
Anything big and open like Beyerdynamic sized pads, and you'll get a lot of treble and weak bass.
Anything deep and narrow like audeze pads will choke the treble and bloat the bass.
Something half-way between a beyer pads and the audeze pad like the Fostex TH500rp pad should be about right.

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #24,945 of 27,157
the buzzing might be a particle of fiber or hair on the driver's diaphragm.
It may have come off the yellow mineral wool damping or fallen in there after you took that off. ( it is NOT some type of decayed fabric )
Maybe try a small air squeegie or light blow to see if you can find or dislodge anything on the diaphragm.

I hope you did not throw out the stock damping, you should keep that safe somewhere= since it is impossible to find, and the consistency of it is likely supposed to be like that ( looks like it will fall apart ). Unless it is now compressed and ruined of course.

So yeah it's the infamous "yellow biscuit" material talked about in here.

That's a very nice recable job by the way

I'll have to check on the diaphragm in the morning when I have better lighting. It seems to go away when I press on the grill though.

I did have to somewhat tear the damping off, so I only have about half of it. I guess I should've read more about that. Whoops. At the very least, I still have both halves that's on both sides.

And thanks! I believe this was only my second recabling!

I wouldn't throw away the yellow biscuit. In my RP18 (mylar) it's the only thing I have that give's the right kind of timbre to the upper-mids and treble.
In the NAD there were two layers of this stuff sandwiches together. I use only one layer of this, and a bigger layer of arctic cotton behind that.
Also sorbothane pieces dotted around the back of the driver housing.

Also I don't know if this is present on the Fostex version, but on the NAD versions there is a piece of brown felt acting as a bass-filter on the ear-side grill.
Remove this to bring out it's treble.

The Audeze pads are also probably too deep and narrow.
Basically extra depth and less open area on the inside of the pad will kill treble, and bloat the bass.
I had to make my own ear pads to get closer to a flat response.
Anything big and open like Beyerdynamic sized pads, and you'll get a lot of treble and weak bass.
Anything deep and narrow like audeze pads will choke the treble and bloat the bass.
Something half-way between a beyer pads and the audeze pad like the Fostex TH500rp pad should be about right.

Yeah, there was this brown material on the grill. I scrubbed it off unknowingly.

I've actually been looking into Dekoni's TH900 sheepskin pads. I like its big opening and the TH500rp's pads seem to be like the THX00 which I didn't like all that much in terms of comfort. Honestly, I'm somewhat content with the Audeze vegan pads. I'm just curious as to how they sound on other pads at this point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back