Orthodynamic Roundup
Nov 7, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #24,286 of 27,146
Nick, I was secretly hoping you would do just that and serve as an example for me to follow. So, random selection may be the way to go. I sold my LCD2 for $500 to a good friend who tried them for 6 months and loves them.

Which one to choose?
a vintage ortho,
a vintage dynamic,
a current ortho,
a current dynamic,
an IEM,
an on ear,
or Smeggy's beautifully hand carved Game of Thrones motif--> Kahleesi's "Double Dragons" - one each  cup.

Off topic, but did any of you guys and gals get in the 45 day sale of Augur REP points? I let it slip by me; it ended October 1. I wish Augur would extend the sale.

So THATS where those Double Dragons wound up. I've been picturing Smeggy keeping those for himself all these years...

You definitely need to shed some ballast you crazy aviating simian. It's a miracle you still have flyer in your name with all those cans hanging about your neck.

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #24,287 of 27,146
So THATS where those Double Dragons wound up. I've been picturing Smeggy keeping those for himself all these years...

You definitely need to shed some ballast you crazy aviating simian. It's a miracle you still have flyer in your name with all those cans hanging about your neck.

gs1000.gif

In early 2011, I asked Smeggy to make a unique set of Thunder Pants (TP1) with custom wood carving. He asked what I had in mind. I told him, "surprise me" and that he did in June 2011. The craftsmanship and details are impressive as was the price...$700.00.

Smeggy used a wood engraving tool to etch the dragons and gold paint to highlight their fire and scales. My TP1 "Double Dragons" are true to their name, "Thunder Pants." I prefer a more neutral FR so I may put them up for sale.  

Here they are:

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #24,288 of 27,146

gs1000.gif

In early 2011, I asked Smeggy to make a unique set of Thunder Pants (TP1) with custom wood carving. He asked what I had in mind. I told him, "surprise me" and that he did in June 2011. The craftsmanship and details are impressive as was the price...$700.00.

Smeggy used a wood engraving tool to etch the dragons and gold paint to highlight their fire and scales. My TP1 "Double Dragons" are true to their name, "Thunder Pants." I prefer a more neutral FR so I may put them up for sale.  

Here they are:

Those are gorgeous....that's a chunk of change you paid, but worth it considering the story behind them, the work he put into them and the legacy the represent.

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #24,289 of 27,146
Yamahas arrived a day early...this is what was the headband when I got them:

Replaced it with an old Grado vinyl headband (finally found a use for those bloody things):

Overall they seem to be in good shape...sound great too:

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #24,290 of 27,146
^ Those are looking nice.

Decided to tackle a closet item tonight figure out what was wrong. Been about a year I guess since I grabbed these.
 Soviet TDS-5 ( non "M" ) with box.
One driver was dead so I opened it up and after bit of multimeter testing determined that the center integrated pin/washer setup on the earside had caused the diaphragm traces underneath it to detach, so I pulled those off at that point as seen in picture below, and put a very very thin skim of MG Chemicals Silver Conductive Epoxy right at that point.
Conductive ink will not work due to traces sheeting and spiralling off from that spot it needs to be thinly thinly bonded again.
This stuff is the same electrical resistance as solder. If readings between them are out of whack and the good driver is LESS ohms than the other side I fixed, then I will add a tiny amount on it to bring it balanced again.
 Done this before works well but it has to be miniscule amounts in any repair or matching.
Waiting for it to dry overnight before reassembly.

I like this driver design and also if you notice the magnets are coated with a clear coat also, so zero dust ever from magnets.

Deteriorated bits here:

Had to be done, if it works great ( which it will ), if not then no worse off than before.
The Dual fix worked a while back with this method.

Nov 11, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #24,291 of 27,146
Been tinkering with the EAH-820 a bit recently.
Anyone other owners out there? 
Or has anyone else owned it? Just wondering what the general consensus on these are.

Nov 11, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #24,293 of 27,146
Yeah, already asked him about it a while back.
He's got a clone I think, and uses DIY leather earpads. So it's not quite the same.

I guess these are too uncommon.

Nov 16, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #24,295 of 27,146
  I guess Nick has one..

Ha was that a lucky guess or from memory :p

Yeah, already asked him about it a while back.
He's got a clone I think, and uses DIY leather earpads. So it's not quite the same.

I guess these are too uncommon.

Yes identical but different branding.
Stock form I would say close to what is posted in the wiki
ph34r.gif

These now have an unconventional type mod. PM has been sent .

khbaur330162 has some also by the way, and is the fellow who kindly posted the pics at the wiki... Sure a strange rear venting in the first chamber.
His pics show 6, but that may be after magnets were removed in that section= could be a view from inside rather than the pic I posted externally. Mine only have 4 offset ones.
2 at top towards one side, 2 at bottom towards other side.
No idea what mine look like with magnets removed not about to chance that one.

Excuse the crappy resolution I did not have time to take a clear shot before a battery drain and the macro setting was not cooperating.

Picture with stock round felt damping disc removed.

fellow orthohead,

does anyone could share how worth it Amfiton TDS-15 price vs performance?
just curious..

I know Snoory has torn these right down and placed the magnets more closely ( aligned more accurately ) and removed any of the rear obstructions that might reflect backwaves, he might have even polished the magnets up a bit more precisely.
According to him there are some that are better than others, but how to identify that is unknown I have not seen pics of those early ones.

Sub-bass might need some help, they respond to bass boost well. There is a bit of a low end roll-off.
There are different versions I assume the resulting sound has to do with the various damping methods, though reading the Russian forums it might be a combination of the dampings and / or the exact model  together that makes one better than the others.

I have no idea what an early version looks like from the external markings.
frown.gif

His description seems to be all about whether the driver is held in place with screw or clips. Early version uses screws to hold the drivers in place.
Of course no way to know from an auction about that unless someone posts opened-up pictures.
 I have a set that is biased towards the high end ( nicely  of course ) that has gold dots + lettering,
and a set that seems slightly murky  in comparison that has white writing and no other symbols.
>Both have stock pads that are restuffed perfectly.
It might be down to internal damping methods(?) I have yet to check= that will be upcoming when I get time to add in some Sorobthane to see how it extends the low end, and I can get pics then compared to what I hear from each.

They seem to go for a fair bit $$$ and I cannot speak to the maximum potential of them just yet.
Just for sure= the low end has some roll-off in both sets here. In stock form of course. Who knows about modding.
If anything can do it Sorbothane can combined with some fancy damping.

Hope this helps. I know it is not helpful as far as placing a value on them, it's all just up in the air until I figure that finalized sound out. All I know is that I hesitate spending the large amounts currently being asked for them, now that I have the two versions.
Depends on sonic preference, but they sure are a neato driver.

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #24,296 of 27,146
i see, so basicly its pretty interesting portably cans, with sort of lack QC on the company..
if maybe anyone here would like to let go a spare or 1 pair, shoot me a PM then..
let see if we got the deal..

thanks again for the enlightment, Nick..:wink:

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #24,297 of 27,146
  Been tinkering with the EAH-820 a bit recently.
Anyone other owners out there? 
Or has anyone else owned it? Just wondering what the general consensus on these are.

I own it. Based off memory, and while I'd hate to put words in peoples' mouths, no one's really a fan of the 820, especially if we're talking strictly SQ.​ Afaik, general consensus relating to SQ is severe low end drop off, full range coloration to the point it's not worth graphing or really talking about (it's just wrong), large amounts of treble roll off.

My opinions, fwtw:

Very comfy supra-aural! Granted I hand stitched myself some faux-leather replacements, but the ear pads themselves are adhered to the baffles only at their perimeters and there's a ~5mm gap between the baffle and front face of the front magnets. This gap effectively makes the supra-aural ear pads hammocks for your ears which, ime, drastically reduce pressure points on your ears. You'll still get the supra-aural fatigue, but it could be a lot worse, imo.

The stock ear pads hold this headphone back severely by failing to create a seal. Imo, unstitching the pads and replacing ONLY the front, vinyl-stripped pieces of fabric with thin, supple (p)leather is all that needs to be done (meaning I agree with Technics on this one, I think they rolled 'em out well tuned from the factory). More a restoration than modification.

Overall, a charming line of headphones that I wish sounded better.

As for perforations in the plastic magnet assembly there were six in mine, but two were effectively non-existent due to being plugged up by double sided tape (that Yellow stuff in the picture on the wiki) making it virtually the same exact thing as what Nick's got pictured.

fellow orthohead,

does anyone could share how worth it Amfiton TDS-15 price vs performance?
just curious..

When they were $50 they were a lot of fun. $250? Wouldn't dream of spending that kind of cash on one. $130? I really wouldn't want to, but I'd say "worth it" just because they provide something no other ortho has to date and that's their ?urethane? diaphragm. It does sound unique in certain ways if you ask me. The TDS-15 has very good tonal quality, imo, but isn't nearly as refined sounding as an HP-1 or U70, both of whom have very high texture resolution in comparison.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back