Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 27, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #24,273 of 27,138
Out of curiosity anybody here grab that OTTO E-1000 ?

MuZo2 how are you adapting to that new thing .
Have you taken it outside for a walk yet to see how it is in an outdoors environment / setting ?

Don't let the box get dusty or spill coffee on it!

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #24,275 of 27,138
I went to the official showroom of FOSTEX today.
And I brought my T50 original and took a picture with his suns.
In the showroom, you can hear the beautiful G2000a and GX250MG.
Also, there is HP-M8, tube headphones amplifire ($10,000).
You can try that with TH900, TH500 and OPPO PM-1.
gs1000.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #24,276 of 27,138
...I guess I am coming back into ortho-land again. Picked up a pair of slightly shabby looking HP-1 on eBay last night. Should be here Monday. At present I am listening to Magnums (the new V6 drivers) and Grados. All woodied by yours truly. I have a pair of the Kiev variant of the TDS 16 on hand too, that I love dearly but cannot listen to for more than 20 minutes without feeling like I have a Russian laborer's hands tweaking my ears aggressively :).

The HP-1 have no headband cloth left (only the remains of the black plastic strips poking into the air like antennae :)) I plan to use some old leather perhaps to cobble one together. Anyone out there have any suggestions, hints or tips?

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #24,277 of 27,138
  ...I guess I am coming back into ortho-land again. Picked up a pair of slightly shabby looking HP-1 on eBay last night. Should be here Monday. At present I am listening to Magnums (the new V6 drivers) and Grados. All woodied by yours truly. I have a pair of the Kiev variant of the TDS 16 on hand too, that I love dearly but cannot listen to for more than 20 minutes without feeling like I have a Russian laborer's hands tweaking my ears aggressively :).

The HP-1 have no headband cloth left (only the remains of the black plastic strips poking into the air like antennae :)) I plan to use some old leather perhaps to cobble one together. Anyone out there have any suggestions, hints or tips?

The only issue I have with the HP-1 is, in fact that headband. The original bunches up and slides around so I would consider something a little more rigid than the stock cloth. Perhas a thin memory foam covered in a velour or something. I don't particularly like leather in a suspension band as I find it hot and prone to sliding around.

Oh yeah. You're going to love the HP-1, it's amazing.

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #24,278 of 27,138

The only issue I have with the HP-1 is, in fact that headband. The original bunches up and slides around so I would consider something a little more rigid than the stock cloth. Perhas a thin memory foam covered in a velour or something. I don't particularly like leather in a suspension band as I find it hot and prone to sliding around.

Oh yeah. You're going to love the HP-1, it's amazing.

I am sure I'll love the HP-1. I had a pair of NOS TDS 5M as well that I got in the same trade I got my TDS 16 in, but they were literally in mint condition, and in a made of red plastic as opposed to stock black (super-rare). I couldn't bring myself to use them, they had to go to a collector (@bluemonkeyflyer how are those doing by the way?).

Looking forward to that ortho sound again.

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #24,279 of 27,138
You could possibly uses some larger black ziptie pieces and contact cement those to the outside of a leather thing, but you  will need to keep it stable at the headband attachment point. Decent leather would likely be easier.

There was someone in here a bit ago making some replacements that was a while back I think.

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #24,280 of 27,138
  You could possibly uses some larger black ziptie pieces and contact cement those to the outside of a leather thing, but you  will need to keep it stable at the headband attachment point. Decent leather would likely be easier.

There was someone in here a bit ago making some replacements that was a while back I think.

You mean, like a belt
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #24,281 of 27,138
we are talking about comfortable, not uncomfortable.
redface.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #24,282 of 27,138

I know Martin Custom Audio did a thin one for some YH-100. I'll have a look at what parts I can recycle and what bits I need to junk when they come in. The TDS 5M had a thick sheet of plastic basically. If push comes to shove I'll do that.

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #24,283 of 27,138

I am sure I'll love the HP-1. I had a pair of NOS TDS 5M as well that I got in the same trade I got my TDS 16 in, but they were literally in mint condition, and in a made of red plastic as opposed to stock black (super-rare). I couldn't bring myself to use them, they had to go to a collector (@bluemonkeyflyer how are those doing by the way?).

Looking forward to that ortho sound again.

This set of Red NOS TDS 5M is still in mint condition. Still sounds very good in Stock form...no mods...I have not opened them and will not do so.

In the coming weeks, I plan to thin the herd. I have too many vintage orthos and current production dynamics. They don't get the love they deserve.

Just have to post a "For Sale" thread.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #24,284 of 27,138
Just have to post a "For Sale" thread.

Herd? I thought it was an entire genus by now.
It's easy just sit down and type. I'll pick a random one tonight and do the same thing to prove it to you LOL...if I get to it

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #24,285 of 27,138
   Herd? I thought it was an entire genus by now.
It's easy just sit down and type. I'll pick a random one tonight and do the same thing to prove it to you LOL...if I get to it

Nick, I was secretly hoping you would do just that and serve as an example for me to follow. So, random selection may be the way to go. I sold my LCD2 for $500 to a good friend who tried them for 6 months and loves them.

Which one to choose?
a vintage ortho,
a vintage dynamic,
a current ortho,
a current dynamic,
an IEM,
an on ear,
or Smeggy's beautifully hand carved Game of Thrones motif--> Kahleesi's "Double Dragons" - one each  cup.

Off topic, but did any of you guys and gals get in the 45 day sale of Augur REP points? I let it slip by me; it ended October 1. I wish Augur would extend the sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back